New T owner. Rate my enclosure.

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
This is my first T. Juvenile B. emilia.

Made some mistakes at first. Coming from lizards, I couldn't get it through my head that the enclosure didn't need to be massive. Started with a 10 gallon was obviously 20 times larger than it needed to be. Then got an acrylic box and it was still far too big. I think I get it now haha.

Please let me know if you spot any mistakes (thinking it might need more substrate as it's still a bit tall).

Can't close the lid all the way right now without pinching feet, but it's still very much closed.

Substrate is a coco fiber/top soil mix with the top layer being all coco fiber. Cork bark hide and a bit of sphagnum moss.

I love learning about this hobby and I just can't get enough.

20210507_141401.jpg 20210507_142530 (1).jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Too small- if it burrows there’s no room

It it walks forward already walks into a wall

Drop it in a KK

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
ayyyyyy, looks much much better man,
Drop it in a KK
what is a KK, kritter keeper? Also, I don't think its too small it has anough room on all sides but I do agree with the fact that you can actually add little more substrate. Maybe add another 1-2"?

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

what is a KK? Also, I don't think its too small it has anough room on all sides but I do agree with the fact that you can actually add little more substrate. Maybe add another 1-2"?
Kritter Keeper

We have a difference of opinion, good luck.

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your help!! I really wanted to get it right. Funny how I spent nearly a hundred dollars on enclosures to find out a $5 AMAC box was my solution. Small price for knowledge I suppose.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
You recommended that in my other thread. What's a KK?
Personally I like your enclosure, though I agree after a molt it’ll be outgrown, kk’s aren’t my favorite enclosure in fact I use them for prey usually, my T’s get large clear enclosures usually, but I like my T’s to be in mansions as soon as they can based on size xD 9/10 on your enclosure in my opinion. :)

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
Personally I like your enclosure, though I agree after a molt it’ll be outgrown, kk’s aren’t my favorite enclosure in fact I use them for prey usually, my T’s get large clear enclosures usually, but I like my T’s to be in mansions as soon as they can based on size xD 9/10 on your enclosure in my opinion. :)
Thank you :)

Yeah, I really don't like the way kritter keepers looks to be honest. I'll definitely be looking to find the perfect next size so I can be prepared well in advance. The nice thing about how little space they need is that I have everything I need for multiple enclosures. Probably why people tend to collect them. I can feel the itch already.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Lovely looking T but agree a tad on the small size for enclosure.
You're only gonna have to rehouse after next molt imo

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
Lovely looking T but agree a tad on the small size for enclosure.
You're only gonna have to rehouse after next molt imo
That seems to be the consensus. I think I'm going to order a new box shortly and use the current enclosure as a stop-gap until that one's ready. Nothing too much bigger. Very hard to find the perfect size in brick and mortar stores.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Thank you :)

Yeah, I really don't like the way kritter keepers looks to be honest. I'll definitely be looking to find the perfect next size so I can be prepared well in advance. The nice thing about how little space they need is that I have everything I need for multiple enclosures. Probably why people tend to collect them. I can feel the itch already.
I relate haha I bought many quickly and now it’s hard to stop myself 😂😂 my advice too, don’t be afraid of old worlds, look up cool species and raise them as slings it lets your experience grow with them, also Snake, tell Raiden I said hi. 😉

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
I relate haha I bought many quickly and now it’s hard to stop myself 😂😂 my advice too, don’t be afraid of old worlds, look up cool species and raise them as slings it lets your experience grow with them, also Snake, tell Raiden I said hi. 😉
haha will do. Definitely interested in old worlds. Fossorials specifically. Trying not to go crazy too quickly!

Baby T

Arachnoknight
That seems to be the consensus. I think I'm going to order a new box shortly and use the current enclosure as a stop-gap until that one's ready. Nothing too much bigger. Very hard to find the perfect size in brick and mortar stores.
Don't worry it's a constant struggle trying to find/decide what is the right enclosure! Once you've done it a few times it'll be easy 👍

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
Don't worry it's a constant struggle trying to find/decide what is the right enclosure! Once you've done it a few times it'll be easy 👍

Definitely a learning experience. This has been by far the most difficult part for me, but I'm getting there!