New T Owner/PZB

craigv

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! I just bought my first T, a PZB. I have it in a 10 gallon tank with about 5 inches of coconut fiber as substrate. It has 2 different hiding places in the tank, a water dish, and I spray the tank every other day with distilled water to keep the humidity up as the guy at the pet store told me. I read that PZB's are terrestrial but mine seems to keep trying to climb the corners. I am curious if this is because of the substrate. Why is my terrestrial T climbing??

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the board could you please be more specific with the name please.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Craigv, Welcome aboard. First, terrestrials tarantulas often climb for one of two reasons-
1. They are new to the enclosure and haven't quite settled in or the substrate has been replaced and new to them.
2. The sub is too wet from wicking of sub dangling into waterbowls, flipped waterbowls or frequent misting. I'm guessing an overabundance of mites might cause them to stay off the floor as well but haven't run into that yet.

Keeping that in mind, there are only a few nw terrestrial genera that like notably moist containers. The only sp I'm familiar with thus far is Theraphosa sp "burgundy". I'm pretty sure pink zebra beauty (can't currently recall genus or sp) isn't one of them. Most spp like it mostly on the dry side, some slightly moister. I'd limit the misting to twice a week at most and provide a waterdish or coke cap of water- the latter as long as the spider has a legspan of over two inches to be on the safe side.

How big is the spider? You'd likely also be able to size the enc down slightly. A 10 gallon aquarium is alot of room for a small spider- and a tall enclosure to have to fill with sub to get it deep enough where the spider has only a legspan or so to get to the top to prevent injury from falls. Good luck with your pet. :) Terry

edit- btw, be VERY CAUTIOUS of tarantula care tips given by many pet stores. Don't take my word above for that sp., either. The search function would undoubtedly reveal some great tips on Eupalaestrus (< spelling?) campestratus as well. Btw, I cheated and googled the common name this time. Heeheee (-;

Last edited:

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
My guess is it's just not used to it's new enclosure yet. My G. pulchra did the same thing when I rehoused it. It should come down eventually.

And Terry, it's Eupalaestrus campestratus;)

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus campestratus I had to google it wasn't familiar with the common name.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine's adult female and does well in a five gallon. She has plenty of substrate, leaving her legspan's length from ground to top. She's made a burrow the whole length of the tank on the bottom. I don't mist her, but do pour a very small amount of water in the corner to dampen the sub beneath and raise humidity every other week or so.

craigv

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to go out and buy some more substrate and let the T get accustomed to the new tank. Any suggestions on substrate?? Everywhere I look people say different things about each one.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats! PZB

This is one T I'd like to have, but don't find been available. As far as substrate, I prefer either coconut choir or chemical-free potting soil. A lower container is preferable. If your cage is higher, then make the substrate deeper, as some T's like to climb, and the deeper substrate will cushion a potential fall.