new t owner needs advice

theONE719

Arachnopeon
ok so i just got a red knee, white knee, versicolor, and a peru purple avic. im just wondering how high the humidity should be for the avics and how would i measure this? they are all slings and the whiteknee and versi are really small. and the redknee is about an inch. im keeping them in my room on top of my snakes cage so it stays around 80 degrees. i live in colorado as well so its a dry climate. any suggestions for me?

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, read all the newbies advice at the top of the page in stickies, attempt to do your research about your new pet BEFORE you buy it, and use scientific names and not common names.

Your avics could use a lil higher humidity then average.

If you have a B.smithi and an A.genic, your smithi loves it bone dry with a water dish and your genic likes it more on the moist side.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, read all the newbies advice at the top of the page in stickies, attempt to do your research about your new pet BEFORE you buy it, and use scientific names and not common names.

Your avics could use a lil higher humidity then average.

If you have a B.smithi and an A.genic, your smithi loves it bone dry with a water dish and your genic likes it more on the moist side.
Scientific names you say! A. genic and avics are not proper scientific names :)

Last edited:

theONE719

Arachnopeon
ok well i have been doing research, and none of the stickys answered my question thats why i posted this. so no one has a certian humidity they keep avics at? just humid lol. and why do i have to post scientific names, you knew what i was talking about and thats fine with me.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
ok well i have been doing research, and none of the stickys answered my question thats why i posted this. so no one has a certian humidity they keep avics at? just humid lol. and why do i have to post scientific names, you knew what i was talking about and thats fine with me.
I'm still not sure what the red knee and white knee are. My guess would be Brachypelma smithi and Acanthoscurria geniculata. There are plenty of Brachypelma with red on their legs and there are plenty of Acanthoscurria with white on their legs. This is why we should use scientific names.

For my Avicularia slings I have plenty of ventilation and also drill holes on the bottom for the substrate. The substrate dries out pretty quickly so I have to water it every few days. This is my way to fight mold. If you accidentally water too much the excess water comes right out of the holes.

You also don't need to keep them on top of the snake cage. They will do just fine at room temp and it'll probably dry out the enclosure even quicker.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whatever the stickies fail to answer, I guarantee a thorough search of this forum will. The search function is your friend, and really not that hard to fully grasp. As for using scientific names vice common names, why wouldn't you want to? There's far too much confusion when people buy/sell/trade inverts using common names. There is no confusion with scientific names. Brachypelma smithi is much more concise than something like "Mexican fire-red-flame knee" or whichever combination of words you want to throw together. "Peruvian sunburst cat-eating white-knee goliath"... I know I'm being a little facetious with that one, but scientific names are definitely the way to go.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I never have measured exact humidity, you'll drive yourself nuts trying get it.
Just keep the substrate moist for the Avics.

theONE719

Arachnopeon
they are already in there vials. so next time i clean them i should drill in the bottom of the vials? i have quite a few small hole drilled in the lids and two hole drilled in the sides. i also have sishkabab sticks in the avics vials so they can web to them. any other advice?

theONE719

Arachnopeon
my smithi has eaten 2 crickets since i have had her, shes looks to be doing great. where as my versicolor seems scared of the cricket i put in her vial. ima leave it in there for a few hours and see what happens. the versi ate saturday though so that may be the reason

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avic slings like it to be at least 70% humidity preferably 80%+, but some people have success with keeping it around 60

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Avic slings like it to be at least 70% humidity preferably 80%+, but some people have success with keeping it around 60
What "avic" species are you talking about now? You cant keep A. versicolor and A. diversipes the same way for an example.

theONE719

Arachnopeon
Well i have a versicolor and a peru purple toe. and all of my slings just ate. haha im very excited. my a. gen and versicolor both have fat little rumps for being so tiny.