New T on the way! P.cambridgei

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wahey! I've just ordered a new tarantula after seeing some beautiful pictures of one on the thread "a walk with psalmopeus" and am very excited. It looks like it has some kind of camoflage outfit on.

So, a question about this T. Do any of you owners find this T more defensive or aggressive? Being an arboreal I suppose they are always a bit skittish mind you.

Anyway, hopefully I should be getting this lovely female spider the first half of next week. Does anybody else have any pictures they would like to share, because I'd love to see them. I know it's going to be the highlight of my collection

=D

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I have a 6" Trinidad Chevron. Mine seems fairly docile but they are supposed to be defensive and VERY fast! I have a P. Irminia which is from the same family, and she is VERY VERY fast. Like a black lightning bolt, she is only about 3 1/2". They are very beautiful T's and you will love it.

Good Luck

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
They are very good escape artists too, so be careful when you open the enclosure for any reason... It almost seems they teleport out they're so fast :eek:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Really? Mine Never even moves when I slide the lid off... but then again mine is super lazy also. Is yours a sling, juvi or adult?
They may be more skitterish when they are younger mines pretty much full grown.

TheDOn

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I had a sling until it was a bit over 2"LS when I traded it. Maybe it's slowed down now that it is larger, but it wasn't when I kept it. I've read of others fitting the description before at that other board too... It could be that yours is just really laid back like my G.rosea Psycho that thinks she's a King Baboon. In any rate they are beautiful Ts well worth a spot in anyones collection

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a Psalmopoeus irminia and a Psalmopoeus cambridgei, both the same size.
The irminia is fast, defensive, bordering on aggressive
The cambridgei is still nippy but seems very placid compared to the irminia. :?

It will build a tall dirt web like P irminia, and often live at the bottom of it. Slings are prone to dessication (drying out) so keep them pretty moist, when young at least. Keep an eye out for mites and mould.
They are very colourful as spiderlings, almost looking like an irminia that's faded in the sun, but the markings get more muted as time goes on.

Did you see Richard Gallons Chevrons on display at the BTS show? (Bottom hall, first table on the left as you walk in)
They were gorgeous, and pretty big too.

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The P.cambridgei I am getting is a 4" female. How big is your cambridgei Lopez? Any chance of a photo? I seem to remember from overclockers you called your's "Winston":p I haven't decided on a name for mine yet, but I won't let my girlfriend decide. She has called my others: Barbara, Tom, Margot and Jerry after the characters from "The Good Life" (English 70's sitcom). It'll be "George and Mildred" or "Terry and June" next=D

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine is but a mere baby - probably 1.5" from end to end.
It's vey hard photographing him becuase of his dense dirt web, but I'll try to get some later today.

Oh and thanks for the fridge magnet, it arrived today :D:cool:

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pleased you like it. I've got one the same on my fridge. Sorry about the envelope by the way;)

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My P. cambridgei is about 4" now :) It is beautiful. It seems to be very fast but also rather calm and docile. Although this species is arboreal it likes to burrow when young. Mine prepared his home from web and substrate under the huge branch and it looks like a castle. It seats in there and does not move at all when I open the cage and make some cleaning or change the water.
This species is definitely worth buying :D