New T keeper

Mila

Arachnoknight
What's a good species for a total T/Spiders in general beginner to start with? Lots of people said about a species beginning with rose (I'm bad with the Latin names) but an equal amount of people said they don't make good beginners as you get something called "psycho roses" so I'm unsure. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks x

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lasiodorides polycuspulatus or Vitalius sorocabae and because you're from the uk you can find them easily

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would recommend G. pulchripes or B. albopilosum as a first T. Both are very easy to care for, tend to be docile, are cheap, and look cool.

Last edited:

Deb60

Arachnosquire
What's a good species for a total T/Spiders in general beginner to start with? Lots of people said about a species beginning with rose (I'm bad with the Latin names) but an equal amount of people said they don't make good beginners as you get something called "psycho roses" so I'm unsure. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks x
Eauthlus red sp , Chile Flame , Brachypelma Emilia , Painted Red Leg .

Mila

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys. Some nice suggestions there. One criteria I forgot to mention was availability in the U.K. X

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Any brachypelma would be good, these are mexican red knee, curly hair, and ones like that.

Also there is the G pulchripes or G. Pulchra, these wpuld be a Chaco golden knee and a brazilian black respectively.

Also EulersK has great videos on youtube. I would suggest watching the best beginner tarantula video. You can search his name or araneAID In youtube

basin79

ArachnoGod
Brachypelma hamorii (smithi). Females are extremely long lived. They're THE quintessential tarantula and are virtually bullet proof.

Grammostola pulchra are also bullet proof but aren't as common.

There are loads of T's that you could pick from.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys. Some nice suggestions there. One criteria I forgot to mention was availability in the U.K. X
I get mine from the Spider Shop , Portsmouth Tarantulas is also agood company . I'm sure other members from the UK will point you in the right direction.

Mila

Arachnoknight
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Think I'm going to go with Brachypelma hamorii. They look so pretty and seem relatively easy to care for.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'll stick to ones that are commonly available here in Blighty.

A. chalcodes - Desert Blonde
G. pulchripes - Chaco Golden Knee
B. albopilosum - Honduran or Nicaraguan Curly Hair
B. hamorii (ex smithi) - Mexican Red Knee