New T...I've been tricked! Pics

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
So Sunday was the KC Reptile show that I had really been waiting for. Last show in July had a ton of T's so I was excited to pick up a pokie or five. Unfortunately my grandmother has become ill and had to be hospitalized so I didn't get a chance to make it. On the flip side one of my closest friends is a herp nerd so I gave him some cash to pick me up a P. regalis or P. ornata, told him to call me when he found a booth with some T's.

So I got the phone call and he explained there was literally one guy with about 6-7 T's in the whole place. I was kind of pissed but he then told me he had one delicup labeled "Indian Ornamental" with about a 3'' specimen "sitting with its legs all weird" teheh pokie stance! I told him to ask what species it was for sure and I heard the vendor say "I'm not sure my boss just told me its an Indian Ornamental....I hate tarantula's they scare me" blah blah blah. So I ask how much is the guy asking for this, what I am sure is a P. Regalis going by common name and he says $20 bucks..3in + so I'm like hell yes! Pick it up for me.

My friend arrived at my house w/ my new specimen that night and showed me his newly aquired bumblebee ball python as well. I took a look at what was in the delicup, pokie stanced, and it was definitely not a pokie haha. It's a stromatopelma species for sure. Well I already had an enclosure made for a 3'' pokie so I transfered it in, quite a docile specimen really I poked and proded at it for a while to get it into the new enclosure and never even gave me the slightest threat pose, just keep scrunching down in the bottom of the deli. Its definitely quick though..like OBT teleport quick.

So I guess I've been tricked. I'm kinda feel let down a bit as I am not too interested in Stromatopelma genus but for $20 bucks as a 3''+ I guess I can't complain as I saw a 3"' in the For Sale for $80 bucks. Does anyone have any special info on these? I know their bite sucks real bad, I will not be attempting to touch this one and it seems to be more flighty than fighty. I ran a search and didn't find to much. Anyway any comments/suggestions on this species would help me! Heres a few pics...

And BONUS my minatrix molted last week and is lookin good :)

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is actually Heteroscodra maculata. Similar venom potency. They tend to hide, much like a pokie would. They'll get almost chalky white with distinct black markings. They are quite stunning but also tend to be a slow grower. They appreciate dry conditions with occasional misting on the side of the enclosure. They don't tend to go for much money. The common name is Togo Starburst Baboon. I have one and she's one of my favorites. I'll never sell her because I love the black on white patterns. Be extremely respectful of these! The most compelling bite report I've read to date was by Draiman, who has been bitten by just about everything. That particular specimen was 1.5" if I remember correctly. These don't typically get very big, around 5" is probably average but don't quote me on that. Here's a pic:

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S. cal and H. mac do look very similar at that size though. I'd say H. maculata over S. calceatus as well because of the abdomen pattern.

Your H. mac is gorgeous, Mr. Awesome.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's H. maculata, if it were S. calceatum the coxa and femurs would be distinctly black on the underside.

Bill

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont think so! it looks male to me! not only by vent but colouring!
I have a couple and the girls start becomming lighter and more velvet
by that size!
Looks male to me too. I have one I purchased as female (and confirmed by comparing to other MM's), and her vent looks completely different.
Definently an H.mac.

Death on legs, and quite defensive too. If you change your mind about wanting him, pm me--I might want to breed them later.:D

Definently not a pokie.
He's a pretty boy!

EDIT: Never seen an S.cal, but almost positive it's an H.mac. Definently not any kind of pokie though. :p

Last edited:

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
H. mac crossed my mind, but then I ran into a pic by accident of a S. species and was like hmmmm..that looks similar? Thanks for the correction! Haha mine doesnt seem to be very defensive. My obts are psycho but this one seems pretty chill. I'm not going to trust it by any means but just saying. I appreciate the help here though. Anyone know about what size they ultimate molt, if it is a male? Its about 3.5 right now so hopefully it matures soon and I can breed it. I don't really want it hahaha! I need that enclosure for a P. Ornata!!!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H. mac crossed my mind, but then I ran into a pic by accident of a S. species and was like hmmmm..that looks similar? Thanks for the correction! Haha mine doesnt seem to be very defensive. My obts are psycho but this one seems pretty chill. I'm not going to trust it by any means but just saying. I appreciate the help here though. Anyone know about what size they ultimate molt, if it is a male? Its about 3.5 right now so hopefully it matures soon and I can breed it. I don't really want it hahaha! I need that enclosure for a P. Ornata!!!
If you're OK holding onto it for awhile while I get my finances in order, I might be interested!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to go against the grain.. That looks just like my S. cal... I dont have an H. mac.. But REALLY want one!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have to go against the grain.. That looks just like my S. cal... I dont have an H. mac.. But REALLY want one!
Ya know what?
After re-looking at the pic threat for S.cal--it does look like an S.cal from the dorsal shots!
I really dunno!
Definently a boy though IMO.:D
Ventral, still looks like an H.mac to me though--the S.cal looks kind of like an OBT from underneath.

I think we might want someone with more experience with baboons though. :)

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The pattern on the abdomen screams H. mac...

Pic for comparison. Haven't been able to get useful shots of my S. cal or H. mac yet or I would use my own lol.

S. cal
H. mac

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just so you know common petstore name for H. maculata is "starburst baboon" and "ornamental baboon"

highly likely it was labeled ornamental baboon if it was at a big petstore or reptile dealer. hence causing the mis-information.

definitely an h.mac as mine has the same tint. Stromatapelma has that distinctive dark underside.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The thing that was really throwing me is how fluffy this guy is, and the tint seems off from what I usually see, that's really the only thing that made me unsure. And the pattern doesn't look quite like other H.mac I've seen either.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Regardless... h.mac or s. cal for a twin.... it dont really matter at this point!!! Nice steal!!!

Peace!!!

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. maculata.

First glance I thought it was female. Second glance, I think I may see something resembling the "triangular patch" above the vent. Just wait for a molt to confirm..

If it's a male, it should be mature between 4"-5". One or two molts, and you should have a mature male, assuming it is male.

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
Just so you know common petstore name for H. maculata is "starburst baboon" and "ornamental baboon"

highly likely it was labeled ornamental baboon if it was at a big petstore or reptile dealer. hence causing the mis-information.

definitely an h.mac as mine has the same tint. Stromatapelma has that distinctive dark underside.
Yea...the delicup said "Indian Ornamental" lol! Definitely a mislabel.

I am not sure whether its an H. mac or an S. cal is there any destinctive traits one has that the other doesn't? Maybe I could check it out? It just seems very hairy compared to some of the H. mac's I've seen. Either way I'm going to need to figure out as I surely plan on breeding! Should I get some more pics?

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
More pic sure... yeah that would be nice.... a better dorsal shot....
After looking and comparing my pic with yours.... they have the same markings on the abdomen... an h. mac has more of a defined marking on it's ab... a darker band around the side of the ab.... than an S cal with a few dots here and there....
So therefore Im also leaning towards an H. mac....

H.maculata "Orochimaru"

Stromatopelma calceatum

Peace!!!!

Last edited: