New T. from pet shop, need I.D. help

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello and was just curious what other people thought about this T. that I got from pet store. They said it was shipped to him as a Black birdeater. It looks to me to be either an Asian chevron or possibly some Haplopelma species.
Thanks for any opinions,
Becky

Attachments

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Possibly Haplopelma "longipedum" that seems to be frequently mislabeled of recent.

-V

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, "longipendum" seems pretty reosonable to me.

How about the "evil face" on the carapace?

Jon

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks to me(like others have said) to be an Asain Cheveron.... i just got a 3/4" sling a couple weeks ago.

good luck

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought H. longipendum were a little more hairy and brown?

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the ligthing is intense.. it could be a "Haplopelma albostriatum", because of the stripe in the legs and chevron in the abdomen.

but i could be wrong.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. albostriatum are the lighter colored Haplopelma species. I suppose it could be a minax..... they're close and it's hard to tell from photos. I still go with my first guess though.

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow Dragonfly, it actually looks like an evil face...cool.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Devildoll
H. longipendum is correct.
Sweet spiders....
I'll beat Martin or Volker to it and say there is no species H. longipendum. It does however look like H. sp. "longipendum". H. sp. "longipendum" is just a working scientific name which is why we have the quotation marks. :)

Scott

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Which is why I put it in question marks ;). Who distributes all these t's anyway? I thought pat was the largest thing around, and he is more responsible then to send off unnamed specimens.

-V

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, the spider in this thread is actually brown. The lighting of her camera makes it appear that color. We seen this spider and Ron thinks it is a Hap. Albostriatum. Becky purchased this spider at a pet shop here locally. I don't think the owner got it from Pat. He bought it from a wholesaler that just had it listed as a spider. Take care, Pam and Ron

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes it was a local store and not from Pat. Pam says brown but it looks black to me. It actually looks like my other two Asian chevrons so that is what I am thinking it is, or what they now call the Vietnamese tiger. Thanks for all the replies on it.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I know its not from pat. But im wondering who the wholesaler is that is irresponsible.

-V

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My question is do local pet stores actually sale asian species? Seems really strange to me that a local pet store would sale something like this. No surprise in unnamed tarantula in petshops. I concluded a long time ago that petshops only know 2 names for tarantulas: rose hair and true zebra. Anything else they considered unknown.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
My question is do local pet stores actually sale asian species? Seems really strange to me that a local pet store would sale something like this.
I bought my H. lividum and P. murinus at my local pet store. This is just an exceptional store though, and the do note the fact that it is an aggressive species.

Leanne

RegalReptiles

Arachnopeon
Asian Chevron / Thailand Tiger : Cyriopagopus paganus / Haplopelma sp "longipendum"

Hi,

Well although it wouldn't have come in directly through me, we do usually bring in about 500 of these at a time and are one of the major distributors of this species. We sell to many distributors that unfortunatly do not care. We have tried our best to educate these Reptile and Animal Distributors / Wholesalers and get them to list species as what they actually are. However big live animal dealers that specialize in a broad spectrum of wildlife distribution , many times they don't care about what they list their animals as, they simply put "Black Bird Eater" . "Bird Spider" , etc. It is really too bad and with those guys no one will listen to you....

Plus alot of times Petshop's even ones that are local to us that buy reptiles from the reptile department, they ask for a $10 tarantula. Well...we do have an invoicing program so when they get their "$10 tarantula" it shows up on the invoice as a Thailand Tiger "Cyriopagopus paganus" / Haplopelma species. However as the petstore does not care nor is knowledgable and such they just label the cage "Tarantula" $29.99.

We try our best to educate our clientele as much as possible, however sometimes they just "don't listen", if you know what I mean.

Here's a funny thing for you, we recently picked up PetCo OFFICIALLY for invertebrates (You guys HOPEFULLY will be seeing a big change in Petco's Invert. care and such), after a very long strugle over the pats 6-8 months co-operating . Now they can't buy from my wholesale price list. They have an inventory sheet kind of that they fax me and its just common names with prices that they pay next to them. Some of the names are really bad..."Brown Tarantula", "Teddy Bear", "Wooly", etc. Really actually kind of humourous that a corporation like PetCo would still be floating around list's that have information like that on them. Sad at the same time. By taking them on as a major client I think that we will be able to help them alot with information on Common and Scientific names aswell as care for the animals. Only time will tell I guess , right?

Thank-You,

Regal Reptiles : Invertebrate Department
"Americas #1 Source for Invertebrates!"
Patrick Kane / Director of Operations
Ph: 401.277.9000 Fax: 401.351.0235 Mobile: 401.339.4593
Website: www.regalreptiles.com E-mail: Pat@regalreptiles.com
Hours of Operation : Mon-Fri 2pm-7pm Sat 11am-7pm
Wholesale Only! Sorry no sales to the general public!