New T coming ! N. vulpinus

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu vulpinus

Anyone have these and what are they like ? Behaviour/feeding/burrowing etc. ??? Anyone care to share pics of them ?

My little "Amigo" will be barely 0.75 inches :p

Hanes

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure the names has been changed to nhandu tripepii.

Keep them moderatly humid, as slings they are likely to burrow (I'm pretty sure) unless you can find a hide small enough, quite fast growers, can be very skittish/defesive depending on specimen and hairs can be some of the worst around.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So incredibly jealous :drool: I want one badly :drool:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahhhhhhhhhh,nice to see someone get one of these instead of a chromatus.Ours are quite defensive,but in a slow moving way. It is sort of creepy actually.They will sloooowly spin around into a threat,and then just sit there acting tough........Keep it a little on the humid side,provide enough sub for burrowing,and a large water dish and your set. Enjoy,IMHO this is the most attractive Nhandu out there,hands down.The hairs really are a pain,for me at least,but its worth the itch.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Danja, + 1 on what everyone else has said, especially the comical slo-mo threat display at times. Although basing behavior on 1 indiv., I don't find them to be very defensive. Mine kicked fairly frequently up until 2 molts ago but rarely since. The hairs don't bother me as much as B. boehmei, A. geniculata, or recently- L klugi. Great eaters and growth seems fairly rapid for nw terrestrials until they hit around 4.5-5". Mine lost juvenile coloration almost entirely around 3.75-4" Good luck...... and a nice addition.

:)

Terry

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All nhandus r pretty similiar in general as far as care, i own a couple of females of each but only one nhandu tripepii Female, my nhandu carapoensis have never given me a threat display though most Nhandus would rather run then stay and fight. Remember there is always the exceptions lol! Nice pick up though Tripepii r my favorite in the nhandu genus here is a pic of my girl guarding her water bowl

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All nhandus r pretty similiar in general as far as care, i own a couple of females of each but only one nhandu tripepii Female, my nhandu carapoensis have never given me a threat display though most Nhandus would rather run then stay and fight. Remember there is always the exceptions lol! Nice pick up though Tripepii r my favorite in the nhandu genus here is a pic of my girl guarding her water bowl
Awww. she's beautiful, I especially like her eyes :razz:
Thanks for sharing ... I'll post a pic of my little one later today !!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only spider I know that has the common name Panama Blonde would be the Psalmo. pulcher...

But your saying Panama Giant Blonde... So.. Im at a loss to help you any..

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little ones

So here's the tiny, tiny little vulpinus (tripeii ?) "Delphi"

and the Nhandu collotaravillosum "Akita"

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahhhhhhhhhh,nice to see someone get one of these instead of a chromatus.Ours are quite defensive,but in a slow moving way. It is sort of creepy actually.They will sloooowly spin around into a threat,and then just sit there acting tough........Keep it a little on the humid side,provide enough sub for burrowing,and a large water dish and your set. Enjoy,IMHO this is the most attractive Nhandu out there,hands down.The hairs really are a pain,for me at least,but its worth the itch.
Mine loves to eat she will eat 3 at one time if I let her at 3.5" and any time I dump water in her dish she is there to attack the water as it falls. Mine started off burrowing a little but now spends little time in the burrow I also keep mine a little on the humid side with a weekly misting and water dish overflow. This species seemsmore active then my other Nhandu she is my night watchman always making the rounds.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is my female Nhandu Tripepii (Brazilian Strawberry Blonde Birdeater)

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They sure do, when do you get your little rascal then?

I keep mine on bone dry substrate bit like you would keep a Chile Rose like with the exception that I mist the Nhandu once a week and she seems to like this have kept her like this for many years. Behaviour wise I guess she is a little on the skittish side sometimes never flicks though, she is a very hungry T and never fails to eat only refuses when a molt is pending. Mine has never attempted to burrow and uses her hide provided an excellent display T always out in the open.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So here's the tiny, tiny little vulpinus (tripeii ?) "Delphi"

and the Nhandu collotaravillosum "Akita"
Danja, Nice new additions! Also some very pretty mature specimens posted by others. I predict you'll be very happy with the tripepii from now on.

Current happenings- My 5.5-5 .75" ? is now sitting on top of my bald head and has been there for the last 10 minutes, gripping my head. Oops, it just climbed down and is sitting on the back of my hand so i'm forced now to type this slowly with one finger. It's been on a diet which might explain the restlessness. It all started again when i noticed it walking around and opened the enclosure to see what would happened. It immediately climbed on to my hand and sat briefly. Then quickly moved up my shoulder and neck and stopped on top of my head. It is now sitting still on a legal pad next to me as I type. This is so :cool:

This t is a conundrum in terms of sexing. It appears quite male ventrally and if so at this size would likely be penultimate. I was thinking someone posted awhile back abt tripepii mm's having hooks unlike some other Nhandu. If so, this is possibly a female as the 3rd segments of front legs do not appear overly swollen/larger except slightly compared to 2nd. I'm about to check on that now. I know, my lazy arse should've done this 8 months ago. ;P

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu carapoensis mm is the only species of the genus nhandu that lack tibial spurs, that i am aware of.

c