New T: Brachypelma vagans

Mez

Arachnoknight
Couldn't resist this guy (or girl, not sexed it) we've had it in the shop for a while, it already moulted once and takes food everytime offered.
Here's some pics I got, will get some more when he's dug his burrow.

cheers
James
edit: that dark spot on the right of her carapace is just substrate.

Last edited:

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do Brachypelma vagans have a light carapace when they are smaller??
I bought mine as an adult. :confused:

Nice looking tarantula.

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my vagans whos only about 2.25" has a dark carapace...i dont think thats a vagans..maybe albiceps or something similar?

Mez

Arachnoknight
It does have a light carapace, also the abdomen is redder than suggested in the photo. It's actually not that small, perhaps 10cm or so?
So, vagans? No?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It does have a light carapace, also the abdomen is redder than suggested in the photo. It's actually not that small, perhaps 10cm or so?
So, vagans? No?
I don't think so, but I have no clue what it is.

Mez

Arachnoknight
I just presumed it was juvenile colouration, but obviously not...will start an ID thread.
Thanks guys.

Mez

Arachnoknight
ID This Tarantula

Hey guys, bought this as a B. vagans but due to the copper colouration of the carapace I'm not sure it can be.

Cheers
James

mozkaynak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a B. Vagans. Mine had the same color until he was adult. Now it has black carapace.

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my vagans who's under 3"(as i said above) has a dark/black carapace. i do not think thats a vagans.

Mez

Arachnoknight
I posted another thread with an ID title as I wasn't sure how to do that, if any mods can merge them please do..
After googling it seems like Chris' suggestion of Bracypelma albiceps is more likely.
Thanks
James

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
Wow, I was way off on the size. I assumed it was about 3cm like mine. I bought mine as a B. vagans, too. I hope mine keeps the coloration like your did- it's really pretty.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After looking at pics of other B. vagans, yours appears to be one as well. I'm no expert though, so there is a possibility of B. albiceps. Good luck.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
golden red rump? My vagans has a dark carpace.

Last edited:

elecoj

Arachnopeon
its a male vagans bro i have female 5.5 inches and a male 5 inches no hooks yet the legs span seems like male to me and the carapace

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its a male vagans bro i have female 5.5 inches and a male 5 inches no hooks yet the legs span seems like male to me and the carapace
No, you cannot tell if it is a male or not by looking at those pics. If it didn't have hooks then that would mean it isn't mature, and if it wasn't mature then it wouldn't be leggy. Looking at legspan cannot confirm sex either so please do some research on sexing before you provide such a statement.

Mez

Arachnoknight
brachypelma ruhnaui? Although mine has red hairs covering the legs, I can't seem to see that on albiceps, vagans or ruhnaui.

Last edited: