New T arriving in a in a few hours, have a newbie question...

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Hi there :)

My first new 2" B Albo girl is arriving today in a few more hours. Is it recommended to feed her as soon as I get her?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Usually I wait a day or two till they get used to their new enclosure. Maybe even longer for a 2" individual. It takes them longer to acclimate the bigger they are.

And congrats on the T! Post a pic when you get her

Trenor

Arachnoprince

My first new 2" B Albo girl is arriving today in a few more hours. Is it recommended to feed her as soon as I get her?
Make sure it has access to water since they can dry out some during the trip. You can offer food when she gets there. I usually let mine settle in and drink (if needed) for a few hours before I offer the food. If I get them in the morning I'll offer that evening when I'm checking on the others. Most of mine eat the same day but a few have taken longer.

Good luck with your new T.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I always throw food in as soon as they are settled. At that size they usually eat. Bigger tarantulas have taken up to a few weeks to eat when I first got them.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I always throw food in as soon as they are settled. At that size they usually eat. Bigger tarantulas have taken up to a few weeks to eat when I first got them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I let them warm up in their enclosures for an hour or so and then offer them a feed.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Usually I wait a day or two till they get used to their new enclosure. Maybe even longer for a 2" individual. It takes them longer to acclimate the bigger they are.

And congrats on the T! Post a pic when you get her
Of course! I also love when others post their pics....i especially like the comical ones! Some ppl just crack me up!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
a lot of people feed right away. Apparently shipping makes them hungry. i dont agree with that, i find they rarely eat after shipping. i offer food within a week if theyre not in premolt. i treat new Ts like freshly rehoused Ts, and let them acclimate before feeding.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I let them warm up in their enclosures for an hour or so and then offer them a feed.
Usually, I try to feed them after about an hour after they arrive as well. It is more for my peace of mind than for the benefit of the spider. If they eat it is a reassuring sign that they survived the trip well enough to be hungry again. But it is by no means a bad sign if they need some more time to settle in before they eat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I always feed new Ts the day I get them. I only had 1 T refuse food on the day of arrival. I think travel time stirs up up their metabolism a bit, no science facts on this, just some educated guessing.