New subspinipes

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

Here's some pictures of my new Scolopendra subspinipes. It's just under 8 inches long, and arrived today. Since i put it in it's new home about an hour ago it's eaten 4 locusts, and still seems hungry! The most impressive invertebrate i've ever owned. excellent. :) :)

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice lookin' pede! :) It's pretty fun transferring them into their new homes, huh?

Atrax

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow! amazing Scolopendra subspinipes you've got there... well.. I"ve got my Haitian Giant (Scolopendra sp.) today and it's around 6-7 inches. Mine went under ground already.. oh well...

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, transferring it from one container to another was, well......interesting :) It took about 10 minutes to get it into it's new home. I put both containers in the bath tub for saftey, the thought of that centipede loose in my house makes me shudder. After eating all those locusts it's been chiling under a log, but i hope to see it again later tonight, and i'll try and take some more pics.

Cheers,

Dan.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dan,
I have the same centipede, same size. It ate like as horse the first week and is now burried for the last 30 days or so. It is very fat, either gravid or going to molt. The long wait is killing me ! I ordered a Peruvian from Invertepet here in the states. They are one of the better pet species, don't hide much and get HUGE.
They are not as phyco either..........
Bob

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theraposa,
That's a nice looking pede, is it still burrowing? Has it eaten much since you got it? I don't know much about Haitans, how big do they grow?

Bob,
I'm very jealous, as i would love a peruvian too, but unfortunately i've seen no signs of them making it as far as the UK. I've heard that they are happier to sit out in the open, which makes them even more desirable. I'm keeping my subspinipes in a tank with only about 1 1/2 inches of substrate, so it's hiding under a piece of cork bark rather than burrowing. I'll try to not disturb it, but at least it means that if i want to check on it all i need to do is lift up it's hide. It really doesn't seem as psycho as my much samller vanuatu, definitely more chilled and less prone to going spastic when disturbed.

Cheers,

Dan.

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Dan,
I was told it can grow to 10 inches. well, it's still underground, I think it only come out when it's dark. I gave it 5 big crickets and now only 1 left. for a centipede this big, it's pretty calm.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dan,

That is a familiar pede-face! ;)

I also noticed the Haitians are a little more on the calm side (a relative term with pedes) compared to say, the Malaysian Cherry that almost ate my face off last night while taking me on a centipede-eye-level tour of my bathroom.

This bears repeating: House centipedes in TALL containers! :eek:

Back to the Haitians -- From what behavior I've noticed, they seem inquisitive and active, but less prone to go on a tearing-around jumping-for-your-throat rampage.

bill