new sub-adult stout legged baboon!

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i have just bought one of these unusual looking t's from my brilliant lps and im just wondering what experiences people have had with them. I am going to house 'her' (sure its a her as shes in post molt and im sure, by the size, if it was male, it would have been the mature molt) in a burrowing enclosure with optional hide and spagnum moss. Im going to wait a week to feed her to allow her to harden fully as she is still unsteady, light coloured and stretching out. Do they do a cobalt blue/king bab type of burrow? Are they aggressive? More like a cobalt than a smithi? Imburse me with your wisdom please peeps :)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you talking about Eucratoscelus pachypus? If so, I own one and they're a gorgeous looking T IMO. They do burrow, but mine spends a fair bit of time up top (much more so than my H. lividums). As I say, I only own one of this species but It's much less defensive than any other African T I've owned. I'd also be interested to see what others have to say regarding temperament.

I love those back legs. Makes it look like the T's wearing bell-bottoms or chaps :D.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
yes its the e.pachypus :) its the first one i have ever seen in a lps so i had to get her. The store owner says he has been tempted to handle her as shes quite calm but you never know if its baboon by name, baboon by nature. Im rehousing my sub-adult king bab later so if i never Post a thread again its due to my lack of fingers:evil:

Lorum

Arachnosquire
A friend of mine have a subadult female Eucratoscelus pachypus and she is very defensive. She likes to stridulate a lot, even at the slightest provocation (she made a burrow, but she prefers to "fight" rather than run and hide). Anyway it is a gorgeous spider.

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have three females.

I keep mine in 8 inches of packed substrate. They make great tunnels! Mine tend to hang out towards the opening of their burrow. If you start a burrow close to the glass you will be able to see them a lot easier when they hide.

Mine are pretty mellow. If yours turns out to be a male, make sure to send him my way!

One of my favorite T's!

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a female, she's pretty cool. i handled her at the sfbats meeting when i picked her up from ken, no problems(little bit of hand waving on other peoples parts though:rolleyes:)

birdeater1

Arachnopeon
i have just bought one of these unusual looking t's from my brilliant lps and im just wondering what experiences people have had with them. I am going to house 'her' (sure its a her as shes in post molt and im sure, by the size, if it was male, it would have been the mature molt) in a burrowing enclosure with optional hide and spagnum moss. Im going to wait a week to feed her to allow her to harden fully as she is still unsteady, light coloured and stretching out. Do they do a cobalt blue/king bab type of burrow? Are they aggressive? More like a cobalt than a smithi? Imburse me with your wisdom please peeps :)
ive just come across this species..mine loves to burrow and get very aggresive even though it is only 3inchesin size ive made a couple of attemps to handle but i think this a bad idea as it shows its fangs and venom is present on fang tips..to put it plainly i find this species more aggresive than OBT's

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i put her in her new digs last night and she was so calm, didnt attempt to run off once, which is more than can be said for the king bab! She really was not a happy bunny and ended up in my fiances trousers. I figured, waiting til she puts them on in the morning would not have gone well :evil: muhahahaa!

rooster & hen

Arachnopeon
I too happened upon one of these lovely and beautiful specimans, snatched it up immediately !{D;P 'Stubby' is for the most part calm and docile, I have even been tempted to handle her, till the other day. She is like an ex-wife of mine....... everything is ok, but mess with her world and POW.... both barrells :evil: