new spiders

scarkro

Arachnopeon
hello every one im sad to announce that i lost 2 spiders...my mexican flame knee that i have spoke of before died last week....also a new blue fang sling i had die dpost molt....sad yes i know but i am moving on.. i am trying again with a new sling blue fang i also got a new skeleton sling and a starburst horned baboon ...if any of you have and info on care for these new fellas i'd appreciate it if u pass it on....also in my collection are a avic versicolor, a chilean rose, salmon pink birdeater, and a indian violet, irridescent pink toe....so if u have any use ful info on these as well please pass along...if any is interested in knowing behavior on any of these i may be ablle to help ...thanx for any input...

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got an Indian Violet coming in this week... awesome looking T. Sounds like we're about the same in experience, so I'm no help to you. I'm just working with my first slings now. I've had adult T's in the past, but now I'm venturing into the world of the little ones. So far it's been a blast. Keep me posted on your Indian Violet.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry about your losses. I lost a T. blodi to a bad molt last week, oh well it happens. But like you I have moved on and have bought a G. pulchra sling, A. versicolor, and some arizona bark scorpions. :)

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey man, that sucks man, those are some great spiders. Maybe I can help:

bluefang: medium, obligate burrower
Skeleton: medium, obligate burrower
baboon: low, terrestrial
pinktoe: high (but well ventilated), arboreal
flame knee: low, terrestrial
salmon pink: high, terrestrial
chilean rose: low, terrestrial

for terrestrials and obligate burrowers, I suggest using peat moss, for arboreals I've always used vermiculite but I find more often that it is messy and unattractive, so I've started to switch to a product found at pet stores called "Repti-bark", which I find really attractive, it resists vermin such as mold very easily, and absorbs moisture, without allowing crickets to hide under it. It can be rather expensive though. But for any of the spiders above, when they are still spiderlings they require high humidity levels until they are 1/3 grown (a safe estimate).

Anyway, hope that helps.... as I have raised many of those spiderlings on such conditions without problems.

Pauly

"hello every one im sad to announce that i lost 2 spiders...my mexican flame knee that i have spoke of before died last week....also a new blue fang sling i had die dpost molt....sad yes i know but i am moving on.. i am trying again with a new sling blue fang i also got a new skeleton sling and a starburst horned baboon ...if any of you have and info on care for these new fellas i'd appreciate it if u pass it on....also in my collection are a avic versicolor, a chilean rose, salmon pink birdeater, and a indian violet, irridescent pink toe....so if u have any use ful info on these as well please pass along...if any is interested in knowing behavior on any of these i may be ablle to help ...thanx for any input...:

scarkro

Arachnopeon
hey everyone thanx for the replies....umm paul i have a question for u.. u have writtne high / low next to spiders wondering ur meaning...if ur meaning is towards aggressiveness ...my baboon (hopefully just hungry) came very close to biting me and i believe u said it was low so please explain ur meaning and also if u know anything about aggressiveness please pass that on...
thanx

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Scarko,

When Paul said High or Low, he was referring to the humidity requirements of the T mentioned.

Scott

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, thanks Scott

I'm sorry man, I deleted the part that explained what that meant while I was editing the post....

Pauly

scarkro

Arachnopeon
what do u mean by an obligate burrower...how do u suggest i set up their tanks...also what type is the indian velvet ???

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Obligate burrower means that it's a T that needs to burrow. They need a deep substrate and generally don't make very good display T's as they are always in their burrows.

Do you have a scientific name for the T? I'm not familiar with the name Indian velvet.

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Just scrolled up and noticed that you're talking about an Indian Violet (chilobrachys fimbratus). Just got one of these myself :) From what I've heard, they'll both burrow and web extensively and will hang out in either the burrow or the web. You want to give it enough substrate to be able to burrow in if it would like and leave it some room to web up it's enclosure.

Scott

scarkro

Arachnopeon
indian violet

the indian violet is indeed a webber the entire tank i have it in is webbed from top to bottom with all sorts of tunnels and what not anlso a borrow is dug into the corner which it webbed as well quite impressive i must say