New spiderling: Dying already?

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
So, a few days ago I put in an order for a new curly hair tarantula. She (I think it's a she, haha..) just came in today and it's just a tiny little spiderling right now.
Now, my problem is, she won't move at all. Her legs moved a bit here and there throughout the day, and the store owners were a little bit worried about it, but said she should be fine. She is missing a patch of hairs on her bum, so I'm wondering if she flicked her hairs because she's starting to molt. What I'm worried about is that she might be super stressed out from being moved around all day, she was out in the cold for too long at some point (it's autumn right now), or vibrations from my car and the delivery truck were too much for her because she's so small. Maybe, I'm getting a little too worried about nothing.
If she is starting to molt, then I feel terrible about her being moved around and in the cold and I'm worried about how stressful that would have been for her and if that could have injured her somehow.
Now, I know when they flip on their back they are molting, and when they are dying they curl their legs under them. She was doing that for a while earlier. :(
So, yeah.. Any ideas about what's going on??

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
For some reason most T's i've gotten from petstores always come in pre-molt.
Pictures or a video would be helpfull but keep it hydrated and it should make it through. Again I have a feeling it's pre-molt.

Is the abdomen dark? is it accepting food?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Bald spot is from flicking hairs. She may have just been cleaning herself as what you describe the "death curl". Tarantulas barely move anyways. If you tried to make her move and she barely did, she's probably in premolt.

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
I haven't tried feeding her because I don't want her to get injured by a cricket or something like that. She doesn't do anything when I touch her, so I doubt she would do anything if a cricket was bothering her.
Should I try feeding her?
She's been like this for most of the day:

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Generally when you get T's from pet stores or reptile shows, they always seem to molt after a few days or weeks in their new homes.. This is because the previous owners don't really take care of them properly, they are almost ALWAYS stressed, dehidrated, and underfed and no humidity. It looks to be aphobnopelma and they basically like it Bone Dry but it doesnt seem like that would likely be the cause.. Maybe it was just really really stressed...
??

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
I was thinking she might just be super stressed out, too. If you think about it, she's been through a lot today! I'm worried it might have been too much stress for her, though.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Desiree, Sorry to see but from the pic it appears to be in a deathcurl :(. I would suggest that you try and get a refund on this unfortunate little tike. Don't give up-better luck next time. :)

Terry

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
Oh man, this is really upsetting. I'll just keep her cage moist and warm and see what happens tomorrow, I guess.

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
Yep, pretty sure she's gone. :(
<3

Not a single movement since I put her cup on my shelf last and not a movement when I touch her now. -sigh-

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
since most petstores have a 7-day guarantee or whatever you want to call it I would call the store ASAP and tell them about the lil one.

in the meantime, I'd ICU it. Be sure to include a water dish (SHALLOW) and place its mouth over the water while you're around and see if that will help. It looks to be well fed...

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She looks like a goner, but for future reference, a tarantula with an abdomen that large compared to the cephalothorax is NOT in need of a meal.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would definitely try and ICU it, and if that doesn't work, go back to the store and get a refund. By the way how much was it?

And additional future reference, tarantulas don't kick hairs because they are about to molt. A bald abdomen is in no way a sign of pre-molt.

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
I paid $18 for her plus I guess I wasted money on crickets. I bought some tiny ones, and I doubt my rose hair will care for them.
They don't kick their hairs? I read somewhere they do sometimes. I've never had one molt yet, so I don't REALLY know what to expect, I guess.
So, if she might live, when does anyone think she will start to make any signs of life? :\

desireewolfgang

Arachnopeon
Still hasn't moved at all.. Do tarantulas harden when they die? She just feels kind of.. well, lifeless and limp. That's probably a weird question... haha
I don't know, I'm definitely going to give the store a call tomorrow.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, Chris wasn't saying that they don't flick hairs, but that when they do it does not necessarily have anything to do with a molt. It's a pet peeve of his. :) And he's right, a bald abdomen does not mean molt. An abdomen that has a bald patch which has gone from light to dark does mean molt. A tarantula will flick its hairs off for many reasons: sometimes all it takes is a perceived movement for a skittish one, or disturbance in their cages or other type of defence. Sometimes they will flick them off around the edge of their burrow during their building. Sometimes when they are making a molting mat they will shed some onto that. They will aquire a bald spot whenever they have flicked enough hairs to get one, which may or may not be near their molt time. Technically, if they are disturbed enough they could get a bald spot even right after a molt.
Anyway, your li'l guy definitely does not look underfed or dehydrated. I agree that an ICU and no food or any disturbance would be best. While that pose does not look good, it is true that you never give up on them until they smell! (there have been stories and videos. :D) Next time I wouldn't poke or prod it at all either. If they are getting ready for molt, then that will stress them and could cause them to struggle or molt in an awkward position. If they are fine, they will move in their own time, and if they are not fine, it will not help them anyway.
All that said, sorry to hear about your experience. It is sad and stressful, but it is not your fault. Let us know if he pulls through!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would definitely try and ICU it, and if that doesn't work, go back to the store and get a refund. By the way how much was it?
I definitely agree with this!

And additional future reference, tarantulas don't kick hairs because they are about to molt. A bald abdomen is in no way a sign of pre-molt.
This however, is kind of misleading.

Some Ts do kick hairs into a molting mat in preparation of a molt; some, but not all. Not really all the way wrong and not really all the way right, so just a little clarification. :)

A bald spot by itself though is NOT a definite sign of premolt.

OP~ get it in an ICU and leave it in a quiet dark place without disturbance. Check on it in a few hours, but the curl isn't a good sign. Good luck and call the pet store if it turns out sadly.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You know they're dead when you-
"Burnt" Your jokes are very badly timed and usually not funny anyway.
;)
Anyway, your li'l guy definitely does not look underfed or dehydrated!
Just because its abdomen is fat doesnt mean its not somehow dehydrated. A death curl is usually the first sign of internal pressure loss. It appears to me its a well fed dehydrated sling. It could have been cooked if the shipper used a heat pack incorrectly.

To the OP: If you do get a replacment sling make sure your getting the right species. That doesnt look like a B. albopilosum but some kind of Aphonopelma. They are less desired as slings because they take forever to grow.. Funny how they never send a more desirable sling on "accident". :rolleyes: Aphonopelma take ages to grow in comparison.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some Ts do kick hairs into a molting mat in preparation of a molt; some, but not all. Not really all the way wrong and not really all the way right, so just a little clarification. :)

A bald spot by itself though is NOT a definite sign of premolt.
I know they will do that to a molting mat, but at that point you know they are gonna molt, so you wouldn't have to look at the bald abdomen/hair kicking as an indicator. I was just saying a bald abdomen/hair kicking does not mean it's in premolt. I don't know where everyone is coming up with it being a sign. :? Anyway, I was just giving the OP the basics, but thanks for adding that. :D