New Spider Problems

SpiderFriend14

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, before I get into this I just wanted to say that I’m pretty sure most of this is relatively normal, but it being my first T I just need to make sure I’m doing everything to the best of my ability. Sooo, last week I picked up a G. Pulchripes at around .75 inches, and it was seeming okay. I bought it in one of the tube enclosure things a couple of inches tall, but decided to move it to a bigger enclosure. I originally planned on getting one at 1-1.5 inches, so the enclosure is a bit big for it. I think it’s around a 5” cube, significantly bigger than its previous home. It has a half of a log and some moss, but I suspect that it has spent most of its time underground. My main concern is that I haven’t seen it for a week and a half, no signs of it either. I’ve put out a water bottle cap for a bowl and I put out a mealworm (dead) the other day and it doesn’t seem like it even noticed it’s existence. Should I be worried and are there some practices that I can take or am I just overreacting and it will come out eventually? Thanks so much - SpiderFriend14

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
It's acclimating. Try again later. Sling will scavenge feed so you could cut a mealworm in half and lay it by the burrow entrance. If it hasn't eaten the mealworm in 24 hours pull it out.

That's what I do with my slings.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Didn't you say you were moving to the US soon? You got a another spider?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
As slings they do tend to burrow and not sit out as much. But if you use a smaller enclosure it's more likely they will come out. Pics of enclosure would be helpful

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
My g pulchirpes sits out and doesn’t hide. When I got into the isopod hobby, I got those square containers that are 3x3x1.5 inches and have a tiny flap on the top to open. That’s what I have my small one in. Most slings hide alot. My curly hair sling is under moss or hiding all day. It molted but I couldn’t find it for a couple weeks. I wouldn’t worry.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Sling is maybe hiding for the reasons people here mentioned but sometimes slings can do this while they are also in premolt and come out with their new skin, when you put the sling inside was the abdomen overly large and was shiny?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is possibly burrowing because it is in a larger container that does not feel like it’s entire burrow leading it to stay hidden burrowed. It is not a problem it will come out when it wants. There is a reason we use small containers an increase Incrementally when size permits, this type of behavior play a part in that reason as you are seeing.