New Spider Arrival:

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This guy just arrived. Hopefully I'll be able to post pairing pics involving him. He's a Haplopelma sp. "electric blue" or "Kambotchka" or H. longipes or even H. lividum if the dealer just goes by color. I've now bought females under each these names. Have to love the pet trade for adding a bunch of names to add confusion. Either way he has a few females waiting for him regardless of what his trade name may be at this time.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just make sure it is paired with the same sp ; )

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He's a Haplopelma sp. "electric blue" or "Kambotchka" or H. longipes or even H. lividum if the dealer just goes by color. I've now bought females under each these names.
Hi,
So what species is it then??:?
-Chris

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also like to know....

You bought females of all those species.... so you are going to crossbreed? :?

:embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:
Careful on the "shame" emoticon without knowing the history of these trade names.

Maybe in my cynical post above I wasn't clear on the history of this spider. This spider has been labeled under four different names. In each case it is the same spider. Just the source differs. They fit the description of Haplopelma longipes and most likely are a variant of that. The different names I was referring to was due to the following hobbyist fun:

Female 1: Purchased as H. lividum sling. During a cage transfer my wife mentioned my "cobalt" didn't look like a cobalt. Upon further inspection we found out that this as well as female #2 were not H. lividum. They were something different. The color is what set us searching for more information and we found Brandon from Reptist was labeling a similar spider as Haplopelma sp. "Electric Blue." So already we've accumulated two names for the spiders. The fun continues.

I began searching for more of these spiders and found numerous people in the photo gallery that had spiders like mine but they bought them as H. lividum. Basically exporters see a blue spider form SE Asia and it is automatically a cobalt. Then I find some other keepers referring to them as H. sp. "Kambotchka." Once again same spider with a different name. So this adds a third name to the bunch. I then bought a pair under this name.

Now fast foward to this last summer. A buddy from this forum and I make a trade. By this time I find out that the same spider is being sold under the name of H. longipes. I trade for two of those and I get two spiders that are identical. Now I have a number of spiders that are morphologically identical with two being bought as H. lividum (They are definitely not H. lividum), 2 as H. sp. "Kambotchka", the male above was labeled as H. sp. "electric blue" and two more as H. longipes. They all fit the description of H. longipes.

Long story short. No I'm not mixing species. It is more of a heads up for hobbyists to make sure they check what they have. Sometimes spiders are marketed under different names when they are the same species. For a similar story, look at how many people say they have T. blondi and T. apophysis but in reality they purchased a mislabeled adult T. stirmi and juvenile T. stirmi respectively.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Just make sure it is paired with the same sp ; )
I think we'll be okay. (See above).

Hi,
So what species is it then??:?
-Chris
So far everything I can find points to them being H. longipes.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ahh the male is the blue color form of longipes?Thats what I thought you were talking about.Someone in Germany produced these not to long ago as well.
Good luck with them.I'd be interested in a breeding group if your successful!
-Chris