New species of old world Ceratogyrus?

SpidermanDanZW

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice from a pro. I live in Zimbabwe - been here my whole life. Until about 3 years ago, I didn't know anything at all about tarantulas. I then saw posts on FB. Got a book about local spiders and BAM. I saw a baboon spider pic. And another, and another... Distribution maps said nothing about Zimbabwe. One day I found one. Didn't know what it was, thought it was a tarantula but remembered we don't get them here. Later joined a spider group and it was a baboon spider! Turns out it was a Ceratogyrus marshalli. I've since learnt a lot about old world's etc. Anyway. So I kept my eyes open. Then I found another one, looked different. I went onto Tarantupedia and did thorough research and found dolichocephalus, which I think it is, only it looks different to their pics... So I uploaded it to the baboon spider atlas of South Africa, got a message from a team member there and he told me a lot of stuff! Anyway, I've since found so many of them around, males and females, "dolichocephalus". Anyway! They look... different to me. I can't put my finger on it. Can someone help? Maybe it's a new species or sub species afterall? I'm new to this board and don't really know anything.. Maybe someone can help? I have a lot of pics and videos and access to a lot of wild specimens if you need.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The factors that might cause individuals within a species to look different is length of time since their last moult, whether they are mature males, and then there can be visible differences between locales.
I would try to contact an arachnologist in your area and see if they can help you. Check with the universities and someone in the biology/entomology department can likely help you.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
You're right, I don't think that looks like Ceratogyrus dolichocephalus, although the shape and size of the horn matches. The colour does not.

That is a beautiful spider.

SpidermanDanZW

Arachnopeon
You're right, I don't think that looks like Ceratogyrus dolichocephalus, although the shape and size of the horn matches. The colour does not.

That is a beautiful spider.
I'm on Instagram if you are, maybe you can take a look at some of the other specimens if you want? @SpidermanDanZW

It's much easier than using the forum on mobile. ;)

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I don't have anything productive to contribute (sorry) other than: Yeah this doesn't look like any species of Ceratogyrus i'm familiar with but hooooly **** this spider is gorgeous!
I'd love to see more photos and hope you will be able to find out more about the species.

SpidermanDanZW

Arachnopeon
@viper69 here's where things start getting interesting... I found another specimen, from a different area, that's just... even more different! The first ventral pic with the faint marked posterior book lungs is the one from the two pics I've just attached. The one with more vivid colours on the book lungs is the one from the initial post.

Attachments

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
here's where things start getting interesting... I found another specimen, from a different area, that's just... even more different! The first ventral pic with the faint marked posterior book lungs is the one from the two pics I've just attached. The one with more vivid colours on the book lungs is the one from the initial post.
Everything displayed in these pictures key to Ceratogyrus dolichocephalus according to the descriptions by Gallon, 2001 and De Wet & Dippenaar- Schoeman 1991. Coloration can't really be used in identification since it usually varies so much between individuals. Unless there is something very different in the genital morphology with these individuals and C. dolichocephalus, these wouldn't be a new species in my opinion.

These are the characters used to separate C. dolichocephalus from all other species of Ceratogyrus.
  • Protuberance formed by extension of the caput... Check
  • Pale yellow band covers only anterior booklung covers... Check
  • Distributed in Zimbabwe... Check in part. Gallon, 2001 states the distribution to only be in the south-eastern part of Zimbabwe. No information provided on what region of Zimbabwe these were found in.
  • Dark coloration in the ventral palps and anterior legs (legs 1 and 2) only. Ventral of posterior legs (legs 3 and 4) brown/ beige .... Check
References

De Wet, J. I. & Dippenaar-Schoeman, A. S. (1991). A revision of the genus Ceratogyrus Pocock (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Koedoe 34: 39-68.
Gallon, R. C. (2001). Revision of the Ceratogyrus spp. formerly included in Coelogenium (Araneae: Theraphosidae, Harpactirinae). Mygalomorph 2: 1-20.

Last edited:

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is one good looking baboon. I love the Ceratogyrus genus, something very goofy about the horns.