New species of giant-fishing spider, Ancylometes spec.

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys

Here is a picture of one of my Ancylometes spec. oyapok!
I think this one is a female, or what do you think?

Greets
Andi

Attachments

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Andreas,

nice to see you here,too.

Yeah, i second your opinion about the gender of the pictured spider, most def female.

But, take it with a grain of salt and give her 1-2 molts more to be sure, as i had a rather strange happening with one of my Ancylometes: had a supposed female, clearly evident by colour. From one skin to the next, she changed colours completely and now i have a definite male!

This happened with 1 specimen out of 8, so with nearly all specimen the colouration had been a quite reliable indicator, but no perfect one...

Greetings,

Stefan

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

The female above molted again tonight!
Why do some of my Ancylometes have yellow stripes on the sides of their body and this one not?
Is this a female and all the others male?

Greetings
Andi

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Blackrose said:
Hi

The female above molted again tonight!
Why do some of my Ancylometes have yellow stripes on the sides of their body and this one not?
Is this a female and all the others male?

Greetings
Andi
Hello!
all my ancylometes with yellow strips on the adbomen are males ;)
how big is he/she?!? many after some molts the colour changes.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

Michael is right, Ancylometes specimen that show bright coloured stripes at the sides of the carapace are males. This is true for all species, but one (don´t ask me which one, as i don´t know it).

However, as i stated above you should give "supposed" females some time to grow, till you can be sure. May happen that a "supposed" female shows clearly evident "male colours" after a molt. Vice versa, i´ve never seen happen. If a specimen shows stripes, you can be to 99% sure that it´s gonna be a male.

Greetings,

Stefan

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

The supposed males all have about 2cm bodylength and the supposed females all have about 2,5cm bl.
They all are A. spec. oyapok!
Does somebody of you guys have some A. spec. manaus?

Greetings
Andi

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Blackrose said:
Hi

The supposed males all have about 2cm bodylength and the supposed females all have about 2,5cm bl.
They all are A. spec. oyapok!
Does somebody of you guys have some A. spec. manaus?

Greetings
Andi
hello!
yep, i have 4 of this species, all about 1cm body now ;) but i have 3,1 so i must trade one male for an female.

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

Does the water in an aquarium for an ancylometes have to be silent so that they can walk on the water or can I have a airpump in it?
Or do the bubbles of the pump cause problems for the spider?
And if the water has to be silent, than what about a filter?

Greetings
Andi

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Blackrose said:
Hi

Does the water in an aquarium for an ancylometes have to be silent so that they can walk on the water or can I have a airpump in it?
Or do the bubbles of the pump cause problems for the spider?
And if the water has to be silent, than what about a filter?

Greetings
Andi
Hello!
interesting question. i don't have any pump/filter in ti, cause i have a lot of "springschwänze" (sorry i don't know the english name), and i change the water every 2 weeks, and i ahven't got any problem with this method till some years. but i only have small boxes at the moment. so 20x15cm. when they will be adult, i will put this box into a bigger terri. and just filled this one with water. now the whole tank is flood. i can often watch the spiders sitting in the water, completly covered with a shiny,limpid air coat, very interesting ;)
but i don't think that the pump will be a problem for the spiders, you can put the sluice die to the ground, so there aren't so much vibration in the tank, you understand?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Feeding time...

Hi,

thought i might post some pics of my most voracious female:

Interested in eating a lil paint brush:

That´s some more acceptable prey, snacking on a roach:

Just seconds later, desperately trying to snack on 3 roaches at once:

Won´t take long till the next molt, watch out.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
10. molt

Hi all,

i´m quite busy with some project on my job, so forgive the delays with updates :8o

The last molts hold some very bad surprises for me, i lost one couple, the male due to bad molt, the female due to an accident prior to her molt. Even with the males that survived their molts i got some trouble, they got out with deformed legs....:mad:
I´m not exactly sure at the moment what´s causing this problems so there´s once more some experimentation needed.

On a more positive aspect, the females came out fine, they´re getting some serious size:

female

male

Update as always.... ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your losses Stefan. On the upside though the females look beautiful and very massive. I just lost my only male d.triton the other day. SO my breeding project has gone down the tubes. Hopefully your boys can finish the race.

peace,
Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
Sorry to hear about your losses Stefan. On the upside though the females look beautiful and very massive. I just lost my only male d.triton the other day. SO my breeding project has gone down the tubes. Hopefully your boys can finish the race.

peace,
Bobby
Hi Bobby,

thanks for your kind words.

I have to admit i´m quite concerned if the males will make it. With one of them i´m a bit optimistic, as he´s at least eating at a normal cycle.
That´s a different story with the more severe deformed male.... While he´s still able to catch his prey, he just doesn´t seem too interested in eating... He took down 2 crickets in something like 10 days, which is of course better than nothing, but which is still far less than he should have eaten...

Your definitely right about the females, they´re pretty massive and they really compensate the unfortunate happenings with the males. They eat like no tomorrow and start to look really pretty. I´m quite confident those will make it.

I really hope at least one male will make it to adulthood, as i´d really like to start breeding this species...

Sorry to hear about your lost D. triton male. Don´t you think you´ll be able to get another one for your breeding project?

Greetings,

Stefan

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me it seems like it might be the time to rehousing. Are you sure they have enough room to stretch their legs ? Do not mean to offend. :)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

don´t worry, i don´t feel offended, as this was my first idea,too.

However, as i started to observe them closer, i had to learn that they can indeed stretch their legs completely, just a matter of positioning. Furthermore, the one certain male that died during it´s molt tried to molt in tarantula-style: laying on it´s belly. I had inserted some piece of branch for the spiders to molt on. They´re accustomed to this since several molts. Furthermore, via the bark they can also reach the ceiling of the enclosures, more than enough space, but they just didn´t use it. :mad:

Also one of the females did a molt in tarantula-style, she just was more lucky and got out ok.

I´m quite unsure what to make out of this, time will tell.

Nevertheless, you ´re definitely right on the enclosures, next weekend they´ll all have to move into new homes... :)

Greetings,

Stefan

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I experienced such bad molts with Mantids quite often. They had a lot of space but they just didn't realize it and started to molt on the worst place in their tank ...
Good luck anyway.

How are your Lycosa tarentula doing ? I have male here, that i expect to be adult with next molt and no female for him. I would send him to breed somewhere. It's WC, so good genes. :)

spinnekop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,

My Ancylo sp. Oyapok-type became an adult male 3 weeks ago (or subadult - i am not 100% sure - anyway he looks just like your pictures show) but the molt went prefectly. I use a high enclosure. When molting he hangs upside down at the cover of the enclosure so he can stretch his legs without obstactles.
If you are in need of a good male for breeding, I am willing to send you mine for free (just let me know if you have any breeding results then)

Regards
Geert

Last edited:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorgeous spider (wow they grow fast)!! How much did you pay for the babies?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Raqua said:
Well I experienced such bad molts with Mantids quite often. They had a lot of space but they just didn't realize it and started to molt on the worst place in their tank ...
Good luck anyway.

How are your Lycosa tarentula doing ? I have male here, that i expect to be adult with next molt and no female for him. I would send him to breed somewhere. It's WC, so good genes. :)
Hi,

sorry for the late reply, i´m quite busy with my job over the last weeks. :8o

Yeah, that´s why i´m so worried about the bad moltings, they had enough space, nevertheless, they got out deformed... I transfered them to bigger enclosures by now, but have to admit, i´m quite concerned regarding the next molt.

Thanks for the offer of the L. tarantula male! Unfortunately my specimen are still way too small for mating. My biggest specimen has just some 1,5 cm body-lenght and some 3cm legspan, so there´s still much growing to be done.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
spinnekop said:
Hi Stefan,

My Ancylo sp. Oyapok-type became an adult male 3 weeks ago (or subadult - i am not 100% sure - anyway he looks just like your pictures show) but the molt went prefectly. I use a high enclosure. When molting he hangs upside down at the cover of the enclosure so he can stretch his legs without obstactles.
If you are in need of a good male for breeding, I am willing to send you mine for free (just let me know if you have any breeding results then)

Regards
Geert
Hi Geert,

good news on your male, nice to hear that he made it so far!

If he´s anywhere similar in growth to my specimen, i´d guess he has still two molts to go. The palps have bulked up quite some with the last male, but that hasn´t to mean to much with spiders that grow to that big sizes.

I really hope that i´ll have some healthy males with the next molt, but i really can´t be too sure about that, so thanks in advance for your offer! Guess in one or two weeks i´ll be able to tell if my males will make it or not, they´re more than due for molting. I´m more and more sure that this kind of troubles is related to the giant-size this spiders reach, i heard reports of similar problems with another "Oyapok-species", the P. fera´s....

The problems with the P. fera´s apparently start at just the same size my Ancylometes males have now. Needless to say that the P. fera´s are said to grow at least just as big as the Ancylometes.

However, i´ve invested just too much time and work to give up now, there has to be a way, there´s always a way...

Take care and thanks again!

Greetings,

Stefan