new species of Ceratogyrus discovered

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Yup, already saw few days ago, that horn is HUGE. I wonder how much will take for Polaks/Germans to get it start rolling. I'm giving it a year tops.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I am hoping there will be some more elaborate articles soon, would love to know more about this species :)

cold blood

Staff member
Dang, Its incredible that they don't have issues molting, or molting in tight places.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
That is incredible. Makes you wonder what other, even more bizarre Ts are still out there waiting to be discovered. If it's true that the horn provides more leverage/power for the pumping stomach, then I bet one of these guys could suck an entire cricket down in one slurp... :hungry:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Dang, Its incredible that they don't have issues molting, or molting in tight places.
I was wondering the same. Also, how will this species threatposture? It's maybe a dumb thought, but since rearing back would mean the horn comes in contact with the abdomen? Maybe this species isn't prone to rearing up almost backwards like other Ceratogyrus species...that would mean that a lighter threatposture from this species should be taken seriously. Of course, threatpostures should always be taken seriously, but it could affect their behaviour..just a random thought entering my mind..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, but that horn must make mating pretty dicey.
Didn't even think about that...but the female does have to bend backwards a lot..
Although baboon males seem to be quite a bit smaller than the females, so maybe it won't trouble them too much.

cold blood

Staff member
I wonder if the males all get together and have horn measuring contests
I wonder what the males look like...are they like marshalli where they really don't have one, or are they like darlingi and the males just have a slightly smaller horn.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I wonder what the males look like...are they like marshalli where they really don't have one, or are they like darlingi and the males just have a slightly smaller horn.
That photo isn't very clear but the spider looks pretty leggy. Could be a male.

cold blood

Staff member
That photo isn't very clear but the spider looks pretty leggy. Could be a male.
I suppose it could be, but I doubt it....but I don't know any more about the species than anyone else....I'd just be surprised if males had that dramatic of a "horn".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Learn something everyday on the boards...I didn't know males have smaller or no horns, thank you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't see a horn over the abdomen. I see a dark, almost black short squat horn, that's it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I don't see a horn over the abdomen. I see a dark, almost black short squat horn, that's it.
That is what I initially thought too. I thought the "horn" we were seeing was a back leg, and it had blurred together on the photo to look like it was part of the horn. But after staring at the photo, and counting legs, that'd have to be a 9th leg. However, I do still see just a squat, black horn with *something* over the abdomen, because it's between the two back legs, obscuring part of our view of the back leg on the T's left side (the side furthest from the camera). Is it a leg, and I'm counting wrong? It's not a good picture.

Who said the horn goes over the abdomen? Is that Andrea82's interpretation of the photo or is it actually said by someone who saw the T in person? I thought the latter, but can't find that info anywhere.