new species of Ceratogyrus discovered

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
May be a dumb question, but what exactly do the horns do? Make them look bigger, vent heat, or what?
Just curious.
In the post it's stated that it holds the stomach muscles probably for more sucking power. It makes you wonder what made this species evolve more powerful muscles for feeding when every other T is just fine with the more internal ones.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
In the post it's stated that it holds the stomach muscles probably for more sucking power. It makes you wonder what made this species evolve more powerful muscles for feeding when every other T is just fine with the more internal ones.
Yes. Now I remember. :banghead::bag:
But yes I agree with you. Why the horns when others don't need them? I'll go back to Tarantulapedia.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Maybe it stores muscles in its horn making more space for other prosomal organs, instead of making whole prosoma bigger

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe to be able to process a meal more quickly, to reduce the feeding time. Maybe that way they are less vulnerable because there is more time of being alert? (Just speculating of course)

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Maybe to be able to process a meal more quickly, to reduce the feeding time. Maybe that way they are less vulnerable because there is more time of being alert? (Just speculating of course)
That depends on how fast they can liquefy their food as well.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the stomach muscles explanation is just speculation at this point. It's really still a mystery.

My Juvvenile Pamphobeteus can suck up cricket juice at an astounding rate with no horn at all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What makes you think it evolved more powerful muscles, perhaps it has LESS powerful muscles? That's assuming the horn aides in this function at all.

Yes. Now I remember. :banghead::bag:
But yes I agree with you. Why the horns when others don't need them? I'll go back to Tarantulapedia.
This is not entirely true, there is a NW species with a horn as well.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Only name for it personally would be Vlad after "Vlad the Impaler". May want to look it up, gruesome, and I bet my OBT and many other OW would the same to me :mask:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What makes you think it evolved more powerful muscles, perhaps it has LESS powerful muscles? That's assuming the horn aides in this function at all.

This ue, there is a NW species with a horn as well.
Crone never said there weren't...

Interesting theory, that that horn maybe helps out because the sucking stomach is weaker.
Why would it be weaker than in other species though..?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Maybe because the sucking muscles are weaker they evolved the horn to store resources in it... Makes more sense than it being to store organs which have a place to be stored to begin with.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crone never said there weren't...

Interesting theory, that that horn maybe helps out because the sucking stomach is weaker.
Why would it be weaker than in other species though..?
To quote the ridiculously stupid Donald Trump "Wrong"

Crone wrote "when others don't need them"

Not saying it is weaker or stronger. I read Kodi's words and he hadn't considered the opposite, or at least didn't write it down ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe because the sucking muscles aIe weaker they evolved the horn to store resources in it... Makes more sense than it being to store organs which have a place to be stored to begin with.
Sort of like camels do? (I know
mammals and tatantula have no
common ground at all, but I phrased it like this to simplify).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
To quote the ridiculously stupid Donald Trump "Wrong"

Crone wrote "when others don't need them"

Not saying it is weaker or stronger. I read Kodi's words and he hadn't considered the opposite, or at least didn't write it down ;)
Right back at you; she didn't specifically say NW don't have them.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Actually indeed s/he did. It was implied when s/he wrote "when others don't need them".
Does not. Does to. Does not. Does to. Wanna have a beer and fries while we have an all nighter in arguing over semantics? I think you'll win though, since we're talking in your native language :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does not. Does to. Does not. Does to. Wanna have a beer and fries while we have an all nighter in arguing over semantics? I think you'll win though, since we're talking in your native language :D
It could be that my understanding is in fact different than yours due to that simple fact.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What if the horn is a bizarre sense organ, like a magnetic field sensor? That would be cool.