New Species! B. Vagans

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, I just got another T. I traded my Cranwell's Horned Frog for a 7 month old brachypelma vagans.
This is currently my only NW T in my collection, and I'm pretty excited.
Any tips or pointers in regards to keeping this species? As of now she's in a 10 gallon long, but I was planning on splitting the tank in half with plexiglass, with some ecoearth and palm bark for burrowing/shelter.
Is a ten gallon too large, or should I keep it the way it is and eventually add some live plants to take up some space and liven it up?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
make sure she has a water dish as well,

Regards, Mike

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just water in the dish, no need for rocks....

Regards, Mike
Well, it's more of a shallow bowl, haha, so I dont want any crickets drowning either.

So, should I stick to the 10 gallon with some live plants?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use live plants in some of my tanks, a 10 gallon is a pretty big tank, but for an adult it should be ok, a five gallon is a good size for most spiders....IMO...

Regards, Mike

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as rocks in the water dish, it just makes it easier for the spider to drink from if there is only water in the dish...

Regards, Mike

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey great species....... no other pointers then a water dish and keep them dry. They are great eaters and get a decent size. I would pass on the rocks thing as well. A slightly raised water dish will do the trick. When they drink they really like to dunk themselves in the water rocks would make that kinda hard.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey great species....... no other pointers then a water dish and keep them dry. They are great eaters and get a decent size. I would pass on the rocks thing as well. A slightly raised water dish will do the trick. When they drink they really like to dunk themselves in the water rocks would make that kinda hard.
Well how dry? These guys are from south mexico and belize. I read that 65% humidity is just right.
I just put some well packed moist ecoearth into the tank, with a mesh top to ensure ventilation.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
No, not moist substrate, dry.

Dry substrate with a water dish.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well how dry? These guys are from south mexico and belize. I read that 65% humidity is just right.
I just put some well packed moist ecoearth into the tank, with a mesh top to ensure ventilation.
Just the way you have it is perfect. Just let it dry out. Every now and then you can lightly water the subsrate so that it does not shrink up. But BONE dry is perfect with a water dish. I keep all my brachys that way.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, update...She's just sitting in the back corner hunched up, not burrowing, not going into the little cave I made her, whats up with this? Is it still too humid?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave her be, it may a week or more till she settles in the new home...

Regards, Mike

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 4 B. vagans. Got them all as slings about 2 months ago. They all were 1.5 cm LS when I got them. They grow fast. (All 4 now are 4cm each) but I do believe that your 10 gallon enclosure is simply too big for a 7 month juvenile. I still keep all 4 in a delicup. It allows for them to catch their prey faster. And yes all mine burrow. Just leave them alone with deep enough substrate and they will. Keep the substrate dry if you have a water dish. if you forego the waterdish, keep it bone dry, but try to lightly mist one side of the enclosure 1-2 times a week. :) :) :)

Neuroticvirus

Arachnopeon
My B.Vagans wouldnt do anything for a week and even now it wont do anything when im around it so just give it some time its prolly still a bit stressed out.