NEW SPECIES: Avicularia rickwesti BERTANI & HUFF, 2013

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer

Bertani, R. & J. Huff, 2013
Avicularia rickwesti sp.nov., a remarkable new species of Avicularia (Theraphosidae:Aviculariinae) from Dominican Republic.
Zoologia 30(3): 333-337
Download PDF

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was always curious to know when Rick West would get a species named after him. Glad it's finally happened.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Beautiful! Having a species named after myself would be pretty amazing!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The footnote on Figure 13 says "early antepenultimate immature". Shouldn't that be a male?
Not necessarily. It just means it's an immature, a few molts before adulthood; They don't know what sex it is.
An ultimate molt is the molt when they reach maturity, regardless of sex.
So, females have an ultimate molt as well, but they don't have a drastic change like males do, and continue to molt after that.

[HR][/HR]

Discussion of "ultimate molts" moved here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?250999-The-term-quot-Ultimate-molt-quot

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
First Avic species I see that lives in a dry habitat...very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...and it is already available in the pet trade. Females with about 3 cm go for 180 EUR.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
First Avic species I see that lives in a dry habitat
Other avicularias don't exactly live humid either.

Other than that, I've already seen this species for sale, German breeders etc.
Males currently go for around 150-170, females for 180-200, breeding pairs are around 350 to 400.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have my doubts about that as they're already available from multiple people, in pairs even...
so you think, several people went there to collect them!? Not possible, that they bought them from the original "importer" or one of his salesmen?

You are free to have your opinion! =;-)

BTW, last Saturday I spoke to the main salesman in Germany of the mentioned swiss guy...