New snake!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
So I met a cornsnake breeder yesterday...I went to his place just to check out his massive collection of reptiles...and came home with this... >.>
20161018_224340.jpg

He is a 1 month old hypo diffused het blood red motley...I got him for $10, couldn't say no. The little cutie has some spunk too! He bit me the first time I met him, that's why I picked this one haha.

Here's his litter just for fun

Attachment2.jpeg

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
So I met a cornsnake breeder yesterday...I went to his place just to check out his massive collection of reptiles...and came home with this... >.>
View attachment 222903

He is a 1 month old hypo diffused het blood red motley...I got him for $10, couldn't say no. The little cutie has some spunk too! He bit me the first time I met him, that's why I picked this one haha.

Here's his litter just for fun

View attachment 222904
Hey, slow to be on this thread.
But how cute is that little sucker!!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
20161022_000914.jpeg
His little brother! yeah couldn't resist. I'm also heading over there Monday to make a trade for two more, snow morphs this time :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
So cute. And the plus is no feeding thawed out rodents! I looked them up, as well as my childhood favorite, Madame Garter Snake.
I'm considering it and it's all your fault!;)
I've heard they will take other stuff, but my python gets frozen/ thawed, so I'm going to keep these guys on the same thing. just much smaller lol. he also sells frozen feeders

louise f

Arachnoangel
Lovely, congratz on that lil guy, they are cute <3

These are some of the snakes that i had.

CIMG5110.JPG
CIMG5068 (1).JPG
CIMG5274 (1).JPG
CIMG4658 (1).JPG Haha this lil fella had no problem eating pinkies. :D

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yup, pinkies, then fuzzies, thenadult mice, probably small rat at full grown. my python gets small rats atm
Eeewwww. :hungry: Actually I think when I get mine, I'll stick to nightcrawlers with a touch of supers and a goldie or two. Gotta think how to rig up a goldie tank.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
SO CUTE! But I cannot wait to get my Everglades Ratsnake out of the pinkie stage.. there just cannot be all that much nutrition on an animal that drank milk for a day or two before dying LOL

Eeewwww. :hungry: Actually I think when I get mine, I'll stick to nightcrawlers with a touch of supers and a goldie or two. Gotta think how to rig up a goldie tank.
Do you mean goldfish? They are HORRIBLE feeder animals.

Keeping a snake on anything else with ZERO mammal food is asking for a malnourished snake.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
SO CUTE! But I cannot wait to get my Everglades Ratsnake out of the pinkie stage.. there just cannot be all that much nutrition on an animal that drank milk for a day or two before dying LOL

Do you mean goldfish? They are HORRIBLE feeder animals.

Keeping a snake on anything else with ZERO mammal food is asking for a malnourished snake.
From what I was reading about the little brown snake and the garters is that they eat worms, minnows, locusts. Correct if they're wrong, magicmed.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
From what I was reading about the little brown snake and the garters is that they eat worms, minnows, locusts. Correct if they're wrong, magicmed.
And, yes i'll learn the latin/greek names....maybe next week;)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Little brown snake... Do you mean Dekay's brown snake, Storeria dekayi? Those feed almost exclusively on nightcrawlers, slugs, and snails.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Little brown snake... Do you mean Dekay's brown snake, Storeria dekayi? Those feed almost exclusively on nightcrawlers, slugs, and snails.
Yes, that's the little beast! Storeria dekayi.
I can handle the snails and nightcrawlers. Just need to think how I'd get the terrarium to be best for the little cutie.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I can handle the snails and nightcrawlers. Just need to think how I'd get the terrarium to be best for the little cutie.
Oh I've been researching those guys like crazy for the past few months. I want one, but they aren't native here and it seems no one is selling. I did find someone that'd be willing to get one for me though, so all I gotta do now is wait. :)

A terrarium... let's see, I'm gonna do a topsoil substrate with two hides, one moist, one dry and leaf litter on top of the topsoil. Maybe some moss near the water dish and maybe another dish next to the water dish where I'll place food. Either that or take the snake out and feed it in a separate container. I'll be adding springtails as well, to keep it a little cleaner.

Oh and there's this for garters...:
http://www.gartersnake.info/care/feeding.php

"Goldfish should be avoided at all costs; it’s essentially a junk fish with poor nutritive value. And other species of fish contain an enzyme called thiaminase, which destroys vitamin B1 (thiamin) and gives your snake a potentially fatal vitamin deficiency"

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I fed my california kingsnake frozen mice. It's gross to thaw the mice out, that's just me. I'd rather feed insects. Yes, I'm a wimp.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is a huge difference between snakes that feed exclusively on those prey items and forcing a mammal-eating snake to only eat those items (;

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I fed my california kingsnake frozen mice. It's gross to thaw the mice out, that's just me. I'd rather feed insects. Yes, I'm a wimp.
I'd actually rather do frozen/thawed mice, but my parents are very strict: no mice! So S. dekayi for me!