New snake babies!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Captive bred similis garter snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis similis) 2 females and a male. Eventually as they get older I'll set them up with a nicer naturalistic enclosure, but for now since they're tiny little wirey and easily-lost things, they're just on paper towels with water bowls. I just got them in the mail today, so waiting a few days before offering their meals with me. They're supposedly doing well on strips of supplemented fish right now, and I plan on raising them with fish fillet strips, worms, and true silversides, etc. When they're older they'll look more like their adult counterparts... cant wait to see how blue they'll look!! Since at this age, they're all about the same shade of color, and there can be a huge variety in shades of blues when they grow up even within the same litter.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I rarely say this about snakes, but those are actually pretty cute. I like their big eyes and alert demeanor.

ametan

Arachnoknight
Awwwwwwwwwwwww! I really wish my husband wasn't terrified of snakes. Congratulations!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks! Today I fed them for the first time.... whoever said garters are pigs and readily take food weren't kidding!!! I cut up some VERY tiny little pieces of salmon and those three little guys went into some sort of crazy feeding frenzy when each was offered a couple tiny pieces! I also learned their personalities much better from feeding them as well. I have one crazy girl who is a HOG, stays in feeding frenzy mode for a long time afterwards, and when she's not in feeding mode, she's VERY defensive and will curl up and strike at me multiple times! TINY little snake, trying to bite me, lol. She'll be fun when she's older! She's also the girl who loves soaking in water non-stop. My second girl is dainty... hides all the time, and took the pieces of fish very carefully compared to the first girl. The boy? He missed striking his food a lot, so I'll have to be careful with him. he also hides constantly, but at least he's a bit more aggressive with feeding.

I definitely fell deeply in love with these garter snakes.... I'm not sure why more people don't keep them. They have attitude, and are pretty darn easy to feed and don't get to be a large size at all. Then again, they're also fairly wirey and fast.

JOE P

Arachnopeon
awesome did you get those from Scott F, here is a couple more Thamnophis

Last edited: