new slings!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoa whoa whoa, not all avics are quick.

One of mine (my big mama) is really really slow. She's REAL slow.. just hangs out... i've never really seen her bolt, except for when i scare her by accident. You can hold her, but i'm not real big on holding her.

I know i don't have the only slow avic. You can find em -- But why do you want them to be slow, I wonder?

I kind of wish my big girl was like the other ones. I mean, this would be a horrible T in the wild. I mean, the relative speed of the avic in the wild is part of its 'defense' ...

real pointless, but im just saying there are slow avics out there, but i can't figure out why you want a slow one -- please enlighten me :)

peace,
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, basically, the ones recommended immediately for beginners are the nice, slow-moving, slow-growing, non-arboreal species that don't jump, more quickly, etc.

usually i see the reason for this being not because avics (for instance) aren't docile, but b/c their quicker movements might startle or surprise you and you might drop them, they might leap away...and you end up with an injured or dead T. :(

i would HATE that happening. so, that's why for me.

but please, continue with this train of thought...i like it as it is furthering my cause/desire/obsession with acquiring avics. :D

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
avics are great! Very steady, docile T's (although i've seen one avic give to this guy, hardcore. We're talking a blur of black and pink and 2 sets of bite marks on the arm!)

It's really interesting to see the colour change from sling to adult. You get it with pretty much every T, but with avics, its, in my opinion, the best.

They tend to be handleable (as with all T's, you cant really generalize, but you know what i mean), and are steady eaters and molters. Plus, its REALLY fun to watch them mate, what, with all the leg waving and blurs of pink :)

which brings us to Tube Webs. This is where *MOST* avics idle life away. My big slow girl has just started to make a tube web, and i've had her for a LONG time... But they're really cool webs, and they've adapted really well!

You also get a to see a part of a T that you usually miss -- the underside. I remember one of my buddy's saying how cool it was just to watch them eat -- you get to see it 100%. And you get such a cool view as they clean themselves... Fangs = killing machines & 'fuzz cleaners', which is really cool in itself.

finally, walking. They walk pretty cute, i gotta say,and i don't use that word alot, and that has NO BERING on anything involving the T, just an objective observation.

All and all, avic's are a really good, albeit standard, staple in your T collection.

plus their colours are amazing. But then again so are the colours of the Pocilotheria.. and the Vagans.. and the GBB.. and the lividium... geez --

don't you just want 'em all? :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, listen..

here's a little hint that's staring you in the face, but took you a couple weeks to realise:

if you must hold your T's, just sit on the ground, or kneel, or just hover close to the ground to lessen the height.. A Fall from 16 inches is obviously worse than a fall from 2 inches, although, like a baby in 4 inches of water, a 2 inch fall could kill also. But, like wearing a seatbelt, you're helping to lessen any kind of fall if youre close to the ground.

and it can happen with any T (the falling and killing)... just dont handle the avic :) I'm telling you, you won't get bored watching them for quite a while (if ever, even!).

peace,
dave :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How could you say 'no' to those eyes? :)

man, does anyone else think T eyes are cute, or what?!

peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh no, i figured out the holding thing early on. i have reptiles that are also small and fragile. the thing is you see, i'm paranoid. :) so logic is overridden by illogical fear always. :p

i've been holding her over my bed, over the floor, over the couch, ALL safe, soft places. so no worries there.

lol. i guess i've just been picturing super spiders, donning a little cape and leaping off my arm and going amazing distances and whatnot. don't forget, i'm new to this whole T thing. i don't know how fast is 'fast', blah blah.

damn you dave, damn you and your beautiful pictures. :8o

errrr.....unngghhh....AARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!! (consumed by T lust)

(sob) :(

(T eyes are infinitely cuter than most eyes)