New Slings! A. Genic and C. cyaneopubescens

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Got my first ever T's this past week and now they seem to have finally settled into their new homes! I didn't see much of the A. Genic the first two days but today it has been wandering around, drinking some water off the side of the enclosure. I put a cricket leg in there to see if it will eat. The C. Cyan has been lightly webbing up it's hide and sitting around mainly. Doesn't seemed stressed at all, but I have no idea if it has had anything to drink yet. Last night it was wandering so I gave it a cricket which it took quickly and ran off with it down into the hide. Today it's still in the hide but appears to just be standing over the cricket as can be seen somewhat in the first picture below. Hopefully it'll eat it soon! It's been down there with the dead cricket for 12 or so hours. Is this normal? Also it seems to avoid the wet substrate in the back corner of the enclosure. I did it as a test to see which it preferred (being a 1 inch sling and how I've read they tend to like a more moist environment at the early stages in life so I gave it the option for both and it seems to like the dry better) and it went over to the substrate once and then has not gone back since. Tends to stay mostly around the hide and that's it.

Chilling with its kill.

Coming out some.

Here is the tiny A. Genic. It's in a far smaller tupperware container now and seems very content in there digging and creating a home under a small piece of corkbark. Hasn't touched the cricket leg yet but I'll give it some time. This pic is right after I unwrapped it and it had no desire to move until I went to move it to the smaller enclosure and it went for a trip up my arm and then back down into its new home.

Sorry for the quality of the pics! Haven't felt like pulling out the better camera and just used my phone for now. Will take better ones when the T's are more visible.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
T's love to play with their food. You will just need to wait and see. I wouldnt recommend leaving uneaten prey in for longer than 24 hrs.

C. cyaneopubescens like a drier enclosure. Even as slings.
Always have that fresh water in there and I'm sure it will be all good.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Well the leg is gone and the A. Genic has done some serious excavating during the night and has a small black shiny spot forming on the abdomen so I'm assuming a molt is on the way! Also the cricket the C. Cyan was carrying around seems to have vanished and so I'm assuming it munched down on it throughout the night and it looks like a bolus is way down in the back of the hide but it's hard to tell because the entrance has been webbed off. All in all it seems they both are doing great

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Oh man, you have two absolute eating machines there! Both of those species are less spiders and more spider shaped trash compactors. :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just wait until the A. genic has hardened up after the molt :rofl:

Even at that size it will be taking live feeders down

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
Sounds like normal behavior to me. Just dont let prey items in there too long and remove after a day

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
I seem to have caught this hobby's bug of wanting to buy more! These two are just so cool and I desire more the more I see all the cool species out there, but I have to resist now...

I've got one question for everyone. I've read up on the signs of a stressed tarantula and my C. Cyan is sitting around looking like this:

I can't tell if it's stressed, or just chilling like a villain and is scrunched up like that because the tunnel it built is narrow? I'm leaning more towards the second because it goes from that position to walking around in the hide. Also I've seen in other pics of a stressed T, that the rear legs are also pulled in. On mine it only has the front 4 pulled in (not including the pedipalps) and they appear to be resting on the web.

And here one last pic, this was after finishing the cricket off.

You seem to be noticing the right things. All good :D
Just wait until the A. genic has hardened up after the molt :rofl:

Even at that size it will be taking live feeders down
I've been doing my research! Making sure I learn as much as I can and I definitely will wait until after the molt! I'm heading out of town for a week and I will offer a leg the day before I leave just to make sure that if it wants to chow down, it will have the opportunity to do so. I'll remove it the day I leave though.

Can't wait to get some smaller crickets for it to tackle!

Oh man, you have two absolute eating machines there! Both of those species are less spiders and more spider shaped trash compactors. :D
Haha! The fact these two eat like that are part of the reason why I chose them! It's amazing how quick and aggressive they both are, even at such small sizes.

Sounds like normal behavior to me. Just dont let prey items in there too long and remove after a day
Will definitely remember to do so!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
To great T's both can be slightly skittish if bothered so just be careful. Also be ready for rehousing's I bought my A. genic in January of 2015 as a 1.5 inch sling and she now is a solid 6-6.5 inch female. Good Luck!

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
To great T's both can be slightly skittish if bothered so just be careful. Also be ready for rehousing's I bought my A. genic in January of 2015 as a 1.5 inch sling and she now is a solid 6-6.5 inch female. Good Luck!
Wow! That's fast. Makes me want to get a a. Genic now.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
That fast?! Wow! I really cannot wait to see it become so massive. Already have enclosures waiting for both T's when they are a few molts larger.

Update on the A Genic: It has completely walled off its hide. I guess before I leave tomorrow I'll just make sure the substrate is nice and damp and I won't put any food in there and will just feed it when I get back and when it is ready to munch. Can't wait to see what size it has put on!

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Back from the trip and both seem to be doing fine. The A. Genic appears to have molted because it seems to have gained a good bit if size. Fed them both. The A. Genic (Beetlejuice) took a monster cricket leg and the C. Cyan (Olgierd) took down a cricket the same size as itself and there are no remains of either meal and now there are two fat abdomens with legs attached. Olgierd's webbing is growing by the day and starting to look awesome. Can't wait to see what it creates. Also there is some slight mold way down in the bottom of the hide from 2 boluses from the first 2 crickets it ate before I left and I can't remove them without destroying everything :(

Edit: Still can't seem to get smaller images on here! Switched to links

http://i.imgur.com/OAIZKWm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i8KfRdX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bJQKbau.jpg