New skin and a new personality...

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
So I just purchased my first T, a B. Albopilosum, about 3 weeks ago. She wouldnt eat the crickets I gave her at first (after 5 days of having her), but I did quite a bit of reading up and figured either she was still getting used to the new enclosure or she was getting ready to molt. One week after I got my tarantula I came home to find a fresh molt. It took her about 4 days of rest before she moved, but when she did move it seems she had changed completely. I knew she would be hungry but i had no idea when i dropped a cricket into her tank and she moved at lightning speed to grab it and take it to her burrow. The next day she was in her burrow but and i figured i would feed her again because i thought her eagerness to eat meant she was really hungry after the fasting and the molt. From inside her burrow she ran out, grabbed the cricket, and ran back in almost in the blink of an eye. Also, she comes out to drink or to look for food im guessing, but the slightest movement of the terrarium (as in when i open the lid) or sometimes even if the light changes, she will run strait to her burrow. Ive watched alot of B. Albopilosum videos and ive never seen one so intent on staying hidden, or one so fast and skittish. I got this T. because I was told it had good temperament, and i held her at the pet store (where she seemed to be slow moving and easy going), but after the molt it seems she has completely changed. Anyone know why?

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your new T, and welcome to the boards :)

First of all kudos for all the reading up about your T.
You did great in not freaking out when she wasn't eating :)
There is so much to learn about these wonderful creatures.

How big is your T?
Usually the younger they are, the more skittish they tend to be.
She might also still be getting used to her environment.
Can you post a picture of her current home?

Also, the molting process is very stressful for a T, so she might still be in the process of recovering from it.

Overall, it will take time to get to know your new friend.

I have a B. albopilosum, his name is Chewbacca, and he's about 2 inches right now.
He's always been a bit skittish, but he's still very young. I don't know how he'll be as he gets older, but I also don't hold my tarantulas. I rather admire them from afar :)

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Azarel

I was told she was around six months when I got her, so I'm guessing that puts her around 7 now. I would say shes 2 or 2.5 inches. I'm currently keeping her in a Critter Keeper (Medium) until I get a 10 gallon tank in a week or so. I got the substrate that they told me was good for Albys (Tan wood looking stuff), along with a water dish equipped with a sponge, and a small air plant that she hides her cricket remains under. I heard they were opportunistic burrowers so I thought a toilet paper roll was about her size and put it in. It didn't take her long at all to decide that was her home base. I'm gonna try to put a picture up.

Azarel Drinking (The water dish is 2.5 in.)

Her Terrarium

possumburg

Arachnosquire
I would lose the sponge. It is not needed and will just be a place for bacteria to grow. Would personally change the substrate to either coco fiber or peat as well.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It should happen on some level to every spider that molts. They become more sensitive to vibrations and chemicals with the fresh exoskeleton. If you tried handling her, I bet she would react differently from before. My 5" B. albopilosum let you do whatever you wanted to her pre-molt and wouldn't seem to care that she was on your hand, on your head, or upside down. Now she's more skittish and tends to high step when I handle her. Still docile, but not the rock she was.

Over time, it should calm down as it moves towards premolt.

The absolute worst spider that did this to me was a Brachypelma boehmei. She was a kicker before her molt, but it was a urticating storm when I tried to take pictures of her post-molt.

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
I would lose the sponge. It is not needed and will just be a place for bacteria to grow. Would personally change the substrate to either coco fiber or peat as well.
I thought about using Peat but I figured since she pretty much had a burrow that she wouldnt be digging, and the substrate I have in there doesnt hold moisture as much. One thing I didnt think of is that maybe she doesnt like the feel of the substrate I have though, and maybe thats why she stays in her burrow a lot... Im just throwing out ideas though.

Also about the sponge, I rinse it off pretty good every other day when I change her water. Seems to keep her and the crickets i put in there from drowning. I like using a taller water dish because it keeps the substrate out of the water, but Im afraid of leaving deep water in there.

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
It should happen on some level to every spider that molts. They become more sensitive to vibrations and chemicals with the fresh exoskeleton. If you tried handling her, I bet she would react differently from before. My 5" B. albopilosum let you do whatever you wanted to her pre-molt and wouldn't seem to care that she was on your hand, on your head, or upside down. Now she's more skittish and tends to high step when I handle her. Still docile, but not the rock she was.

Over time, it should calm down as it moves towards premolt.

The absolute worst spider that did this to me was a Brachypelma boehmei. She was a kicker before her molt, but it was a urticating storm when I tried to take pictures of her post-molt.
Good to know theres hope that she may revert to the sweet little T. that she was the day I got her. :D

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a pretty baby you have there. :)

I would definitely change the substrate to coco fiber since it is my experience that my Ts prefer it over other substrates I have tried.
I only slightly moist half of their home, and is enough moisture for a rosea sling.

About preventing crickets from drowning, I bought some decorative rocks from the aquarium section at the petstore. I even got some pretty colored ones, and a few of them at the bottom of the dish will prevent any crix from drowning, and it's better than a sponge.

:D keep the pictures coming as she grows :D