Arachnoknight
Next week I am getting:

Cyriopagopus lividus
Heterothele villosella
Lampropelma violaceopes
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
Phormingochilus everetti
Monocentropus balfouri

I am SO excited to get a balfouri. I was going to wait until I felt ready to try a communal before getting that species, but I think for now I just want one. I love their blond and blue color as well as their long "butt fingers"

I was going to get a similar shipment last month, but decided to wait until I had more time for prep. Unfortunately I was going to get a p.murinus DCF but they are sold out.

** Editing to clarify. I decided to get only ONE balfouri since i wanted the species and did not feel I was ready for a communal. I waited one month before placing this order (one balfouri and the others) because I wanted time for prep+rehousing. I wanted to prioritize the housing. I do have lots of containers around that I could house t's in in a pinch, but I wanted to make sure I had enough of the "nice" Amac box ones.

Last edited:

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
You mean you didn’t get a bunch of tarantulas you weren’t ready for! You seem to be the exception to the rule.
Congrats, you may know this already but your balfouri likely will only take prekilled for a while. I got some at 1/2” or less and now they’re over an inch but still seem to only want prekilled no matter how small the prey is

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
You mean you didn’t get a bunch of tarantulas you weren’t ready for! You seem to be the exception to the rule.
Congrats, you may know this already but your balfouri likely will only take prekilled for a while. I got some at 1/2” or less and now they’re over an inch but still seem to only want prekilled no matter how small the prey is
Lol! I don't think one month makes a difference.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Lol! I don't think one month makes a difference
It was a busy month for me for work. I also had a few rehouses to do. Needed to make sure I have enough enclosures ready (and backups of different sizes just in case). I don't like rushing things. Rehoused my Avic, S.Cal, P.Striata and P.Metallica.

One month I may get a contract to work and they want so much in a little time, another month it may be something small so I have lots of free time.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
No crap. Not talking about experience. Go be passive aggressive somewhere. I’m sure you have a hole to run to.
Lol then what are you talking about? Not a lot of people here order tarantulas without having enclosures!

Most have more deli cups and kritter keepers then they can count -- of various sizes. Especially people with experience.

Literally the easiest animal to house in the world.

Definitely not an "exception" to some sort of "rule".

The only thing people do around here when if comes to tarantulas they aren't ready for has to do with 1 thing--experience!

Anyone would have read it that way. Nothing else makes sense.

Unless you were talking about him eventually being ready for a communal, but I didn't take you for a youtube fan boy, and that would still be an experience oriented comment.

It was a busy month for me for work. I also had a few rehouses to do. Needed to make sure I have enough enclosures ready (and backups of different sizes just in case). I don't like rushing things. Rehoused my Avic, S.Cal, P.Striata and P.Metallica.

One month I may get a contract to work and they want so much in a little time, another month it may be something small so I have lots of free time.
I get that after your last post but " I was going to wait until I felt ready to try a communal"

Followed by "You mean you didn’t get a bunch of tarantulas you weren’t ready for! You seem to be the exception to the rule."

Would read to anyone as if you are the exception to the rule for waiting a month experience wise. Which might as well be no time at all.

Communals are a bad idea period. You'll never be ready for them. They almost always end up bad. Good move!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Communals :vomit: Balfouri do cannibalize, I’ve posted the pictures previously- good luck!

And then there was one....

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Communals :vomit: Balfouri do cannibalize, I’ve posted the pictures previously- good luck!

One FAT chick!

Petko- "I put 5 in here. I've only seen 3 at the same time...I HOPE they are all in here"

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Lol then what are you talking about? Not a lot of people here order tarantulas without having enclosures!

Most have more deli cups and kritter keepers then they can count -- of various sizes. Especially people with experience.

The only thing people do around here when if comes to tarantulas they aren't ready for has to do with 1 thing--experience!

Unless you were talking about him eventually being ready for a communal, but I didn't take you for a youtube fan boy, and that would still be an experience oriented comment.

I get that after your last post but " I was going to wait until I felt ready to try a communal"

Followed by "You mean you didn’t get a bunch of tarantulas you weren’t ready for! You seem to be the exception to the rule."

Would read to anyone as if you are the exception to the rule for waiting a month experience wise. Which might as well be no time at all.

Communals are a bad idea period. You'll never be ready for them. They almost always end up bad. Good move!

Maybe my post was not clear, I was not going to get balfouri until I felt ready for a communal but I decided I really wanted a balfouri so decided to get one instead of a communal.

I was going to place the order in last month but felt I was not ready to have the enclosures prepped for all of the T's since I had to do rehouses as well.

I want to clarify I ended up deciding to get only one because I did not feel like I was "ready" for a communal but I love the species so decided I would only get the one.

One FAT chick!

Petko- "I put 5 in here. I've only seen 3 at the same time...I HOPE they are all in here"
I always like to know where my t's are. Balfouri communals are amazing when they work and I like the idea of them, but I decided just to get the one. I also thought about getting a Pokie communal of one species but instead I went for single ones of different species.

I was going to wait until I was "ready" for a communal to the balfouri species but decided to only get one. (not sure if I ever will go for one so I have been basically denying myself a species due to this idea that might not ever happen)

I waited a month to put in the order because I wanted to make sure I have enough of the "Nice" amac box enclosures. I have lots of containers and deli cups as back ups.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting!!! I wonder why they only want prekilled? I have witnessed this as well. I have also witnessed them bring the prekilled prey back to the den. I wonder if they do this in the wild?

If this is true in the wild, then that would mean they would have to live communally for the mother to bring them food until they were able to scavenge around looking for dead prey.

I wonder if they would continue to eat pre killed until one is chosen to follow mom out to hunt and bring back to the community?

I wonder if they only kill other members of the group that cause issues or have health problems?

Such an amazing species, yet so little research has been done with them.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Next week I am getting:

Cyriopagopus lividus
Heterothele villosella
Lampropelma violaceopes
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
Phormingochilus everetti
Monocentropus balfouri

I am SO excited to get a balfouri. I was going to wait until I felt ready to try a communal before getting that species, but I think for now I just want one. I love their blond and blue color as well as their long "butt fingers"

I was going to get a similar shipment last month, but decided to wait until I had more time for prep. Unfortunately I was going to get a p.murinus DCF but they are sold out.

** Editing to clarify. I decided to get only ONE balfouri since i wanted the species and did not feel I was ready for a communal. I waited one month before placing this order (one balfouri and the others) because I wanted time for prep+rehousing. I wanted to prioritize the housing. I do have lots of containers around that I could house t's in in a pinch, but I wanted to make sure I had enough of the "nice" Amac box ones.
Great to read a post about someone getting new spiders...and they’ve researched the species before purchasing.
I’m excited to hear about your new slings when they come in.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Maybe my post was not clear, I was not going to get balfouri until I felt ready for a communal but I decided I really wanted a balfouri so decided to get one instead of a communal.

I was going to place the order in last month but felt I was not ready to have the enclosures prepped for all of the T's since I had to do rehouses as well.

I want to clarify I ended up deciding to get only one because I did not feel like I was "ready" for a communal but I love the species so decided I would only get the one.

I always like to know where my t's are. Balfouri communals are amazing when they work and I like the idea of them, but I decided just to get the one. I also thought about getting a Pokie communal of one species but instead I went for single ones of different species.

I was going to wait until I was "ready" for a communal to the balfouri species but decided to only get one. (not sure if I ever will go for one so I have been basically denying myself a species due to this idea that might not ever happen)

I waited a month to put in the order because I wanted to make sure I have enough of the "Nice" amac box enclosures. I have lots of containers and deli cups as back ups.
No I got you buddy. You seem to be qualified, and as an AMAC guy I get it too!. I also think you made a great decision by not going communal.

Just the first response back to you about being the exception to some sort of rule makes zero sense is all.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Great to read a post about someone getting new spiders...and they’ve researched the species before purchasing.
No I got you buddy. You seem to be qualified, and as an AMAC guy I get it too!. I also think you made a great decision by not going communal.

Just the first response back to you about being the exception to some sort of rule makes zero sense is all.
I follow a lot of tarantula groups and there are LOTS of new users that will buy a T without knowing how to care for the species and put them in bad setups when ask about it posting pictures of the T in the enclosure.

I wonder if they only kill other members of the group that cause issues or have health problems?
It could be even as simple as their personalities conflicting. Rabbits like to live in groups in the wild, but when you keep a few, sometimes one just does not get along, even if they are raised together. I know T's have a different way of thinking but they have their own ways of being as well.

As for the prekilled stuff, it is possible they scavenge themselves in the wild even.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Ditto! I love when you see posts in which people list the spiders that are on the way, and then ask how to keep them. Good job @Royalty!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting!!! I wonder why they only want prekilled? I have witnessed this as well. I have also witnessed them bring the prekilled prey back to the den. I wonder if they do this in the wild?

If this is true in the wild, then that would mean they would have to live communally for the mother to bring them food until they were able to scavenge around looking for dead prey.

I wonder if they would continue to eat pre killed until one is chosen to follow mom out to hunt and bring back to the community?

Such an amazing species, yet so little research has been done with them.
The ones I raised were only fed live.

I don’t believe there’s a preference at all.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I got them in today! They are so small and cute. (all under 1 inch) The H. villosella webbed up the bit of tissue in the vial and then its new hide. The M.Balfouri is hiding under some moss instead of the wood hide tho.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I caught the Lampropelma violaceopes out last night for a bit (sorry for background audio). For the most part it is making good use of the hide. The others seem to have settled in as well with little burrows/webbing.

I actually think they are quite cute at this stage. I love raising them from slings. I know a lot of people like jumping to a big spider but I find it so rewarding to start from smaller.

I have the others in amac style boxes but I also love these cups because they are very clear. I asked for extra cups when I order smoothies from this place that does not have labels on them. (I tip them well too)

UPDATE: The Cyriopagopus lividus might not be doing too well. It made a little space and was a bit stress posed when I offered it a cricket. I checked back a moment ago and the cricket looked like it was attacking it (very small crickets) I used my paintbrush and the T was biting down on it so it could have been the pinhead cricket trying to get away. It might be nothing, but my experience is telling me something might be off. There is adequate ventilation and humidity. I do not think transferring to an ICU would be a good idea since it could be stressed from the unpacking and rehouse.

Attachments