New scorpion

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
So I just bought a 2nd P. Dictator and put him in with my other ( in hopes they mate) but the new one is doing this weird thing where it will go to the other burrow crawl half way in and shake it's telson at the other scorpion. What does this mean and should I be worried? They don't seem to be aggressive to each other.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've seen plenty of my different species do the behavior you describe and it never led to anything negative happening.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
All of my dictators were always feisty and defensive.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's communication behavior, they feel vibrations going on with the hairs on the bods and the one under the rock is supposedly "listening". The one doing weird stuff is probably a male but might not be, the one under the rock might be a female. But both sexes tend to do weird stuff trying to get permission to live under the same rock. Could be a male trying to get a female to come out and mate too. All that's imo and ime.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Thank you! that's great to hear. I know dictators are very defensive so I was afraid it was a sign of aggression. Needless to say, the one did not get permission as he now lives in a different burrow. Hopefully things change down the road!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
When I had my huge communal tank of C. gracilis, I would constantly see what I call "tail wagging" The scorpions would sway their tails from side to side a few times, stop, move a few steps then repeat the process. If that's what you're seeing, it's how they communicate. As long as you have plenty of hiding places for each individual, you shouldn't have much to worry about, especially if you're not seeing any "bullying" so to speak. I've always went by the phrase, A scorpion is communal until it's not :p Good luck with yours ^_^

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agree with everyone else. So long as they're not trying to murder each other, it's fine. Just be sure to provide multiple burrows so they can always have one to hide in!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
When I had my huge communal tank of C. gracilis, I would constantly see what I call "tail wagging" The scorpions would sway their tails from side to side a few times, stop, move a few steps then repeat the process. If that's what you're seeing, it's how they communicate. As long as you have plenty of hiding places for each individual, you shouldn't have much to worry about, especially if you're not seeing any "bullying" so to speak. I've always went by the phrase, A scorpion is communal until it's not :p Good luck with yours ^_^
Why did you give up the communal tank? It sounds like it was an awesome set up.

ScorpionCollector91

Arachnopeon
Classic behaviour to me, I've had groups of 5-6 fight one another on the first few days whilst they establish burrows, nobody gets hurt in the end, though I did have a group of Longimanus females that killed 2 males before accepting the third :p