New scorpion tank

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 20 gallon long tank that isnt being used so I am gonna set up a scorpion community. I will be wanting to breed them as well so a good mix of females and males are in order. Just wanted to hear suggestions from you guys on what you would keep (excluding emps) if you had a spare tank to kick around and how you would set it up. Details are welcomed.

dale

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In my mind, nothing is finer than a Centruroides colony. As bark scorpions, if you set it up right you can see them a lot more than many of the other species. I have a C.exilicauda community in a 20 gallon that has bark siliconed to the back wall, sand and a piece of driftwood (and some slate and a water dish). It is fantastic, because at least a few of the scorps are out and about at any one time.

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been saying for ever that I want a C. vitattus colony. Maybe I should get off my butt and actually follow through. Apparently there are C. vitattus in SE Co. A couple of us here in Co. are planning a collecting trip down there this summer. Hopefully I'll come back with at least a small colony.

Atrax

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how many scorps = a colony? a roach colony = 50, but that seems too many for scorps

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is commom for hobbyist to keep 1 scorp per gallon when it comes to smaller centruroides spp. . anymore in sorta askin for canabalism or they might do well....Offer lots of hides and vertical space for them. Height is as important as long ground space. Also they only need a couple inches of substrate for they have a tendency to be constantly off the ground.

Mat

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats cool, I was thinking of a desert setup but I am not really sure how to go about that. I only have 2 adult emps and 2 on the way but I know they dont come from a desert environment. Is Hadrurus Arizonensis(that right?)communal? Is this a good sp to keep?

thanx

dale

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Dale,

H.arazonensis is not usualy considered communal, though some people have had success keeping them this way. They are a good species to keep if you start with mature specimens.

Cheers,
Dave

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx dave,

I dont wanna keep a few if it will endanger them. Hmm, time to rethink.

dale

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe Chau0046 answered the question. It really depends on the size of the tank. Re read the post I think you might have missed it.:D

L8R

dale