- Heat lamp for the nights (mostly during winter because it drops below °60
- Fake plant for decoration.
- Water disheater
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2ndly I purchased a Giant desert Hairy
Atleast I was told it was a giant species
Current setup for it is..

- 5 gallon glass tank.
- 1" eco earth on the bottom w/ 2" sand on top .
- Cork bark hide
- rocks for decor
- water dish

I don't know the sex of either one. I have only fed them crickets and neither has moulted yet.. The Asian forest may be fully grown? Currently about 4 - 5 inches slender
And the desert hairy is around. 3 inches very fat

Thanks in advance guys any tips are appreciated

Attachments

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I'd get more substrate for the Hadrurus sp.. Preferably 6"-8" of a sand and clay mix so she can burrow.
That's what my next trip to the pet store was going to be. I just got him so it was a temporary put together . I definitely want to get him in the same type of critter keeper . So it's deeper. Thanks

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Haha! Welcome to the "Dark side" of AB.

Mimic their natural habitat as close as possible. By this, I'm referencing the choice of substrate, (sand, soil, clay, peat and mixtures) for each species. Notice the omission of eco-earth, coco coir, coco husk and any other names it has. For a burrowing species, Heterometrus, or the commonly called "asian forest scorpion", peat, soil or a blend of the 2 is a more suitable substrate. IMO/IME
Why? When they burrow deep, 4"-6", eco-earth isn't stable, w/h their movement, over time will collapse. No matter how firmly you think its packed down. This, in turn will restart the burrowing, rebuilding, process over and causing to some extent "stress". When I first started keeping scorpions, I used eco-earth, then noticed mold growth (from moisture) and the constant attempts to form a burrow. Changed to soil w/h a small % of fine vermiculite, for moisture retention, and observed them to be less skittish once a burrow was formed. Just my thoughts and experiences with different substrates. Others may agree/disagree, their choice and their critters. ;)
Photo of H.arizonensis #1, 2"+, in its 2.5 gallon enclosure, room temperature is around 74°F. Substrate is a mix of sand and excavator clay, water dish and a piece of cork w/h foilage to be eye appealing. H. arizonensis #2 is kept in a heated cabinet, same setup, only higher temperature setting. I'm observing activities at different temperatures, i.e. eating frequency, tunnel structure and the like on this species.

Attachments

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
What ratio of sand to clay did you use ?
Haha! Welcome to the "Dark side" of AB.

Mimic their natural habitat as close as possible. By this, I'm referencing the choice of substrate, (sand, soil, clay, peat and mixtures) for each species. Notice the omission of eco-earth, coco coir, coco husk and any other names it has. For a burrowing species, Heterometrus, or the commonly called "asian forest scorpion", peat, soil or a blend of the 2 is a more suitable substrate. IMO/IME
Why? When they burrow deep, 4"-6", eco-earth isn't stable, w/h their movement, over time will collapse. No matter how firmly you think its packed down. This, in turn will restart the burrowing, rebuilding, process over and causing to some extent "stress". When I first started keeping scorpions, I used eco-earth, then noticed mold growth (from moisture) and the constant attempts to form a burrow. Changed to soil w/h a small % of fine vermiculite, for moisture retention, and observed them to be less skittish once a burrow was formed. Just my thoughts and experiences with different substrates. Others may agree/disagree, their choice and their critters. ;)
Photo of H.arizonensis #1, 2"+, in its 2.5 gallon enclosure, room temperature is around 74°F. Substrate is a mix of sand and excavator clay, water dish and a piece of cork w/h foilage to be eye appealing. H. arizonensis #2 is kept in a heated cabinet, same setup, only higher temperature setting. I'm observing activities at different temperatures, i.e. eating frequency, tunnel structure and the like on this species.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
40/60 sand/clay mixture. I've read many do a 50/50 mix and no problems of collapsed tunnels.
OK I re did the entire Desert H setup. I did exactly what u said. Clay & Sand mixture with a hide and a pre started burrow. He seems to really like the burrow so far. I re organized the Asians forest enclosure and started a burrow for him. But I can see what u mean by. No matter how hard I pack down it seems to fluff back up. Worries about it collapsing in him long term ...????

Attachments

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
@ArachnoDrew, both setups look nice, good job!
I, personally, for Heterometrus sp. prefer using topsoil w/h fine grain vermiculite mixed in. Soil absorbs moisture faster and, w/h vermiculite, retains it for a longer period. Packs well, keeps its structural integrity and is a natural substrate.
If weight is a concern, eco-earth is lighter, but is more prone to mold and susceptible to collapse. IMO/IME. I've many 22"X12"X16" enclosures containing OB tarantulas in the 50 lb. range. Situated so that I've easy access for maintenance & feedings but are rarely, if ever moved.
Your eco-earth setup will work, plus in the event of a collaspe, they dig out quicker, over using soil. A scorpion's exo is much harder and stronger than its arachnid counterparts.
Pros and cons can be made for each use of substrate and/or mixtures. ;)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Your losing me In some of the abbreviated verbiage brotha lol. Sorry I'm a newbie to all of this. But I definitely appreciate the advice thus far. I'm still a bit unfamiliar with there "scientific names" so it's tough to follow everyone on here. But the desert H seems to be loving his new setup. In his first enclosure I had him in. He never moved from under the bark. He roams all over his new one and sits out under the IR lamp . The AFS. Constantly tries to climb out of his enclosure non stop. And sometimes goes in burrow. He hangs upsidedown under the lid. Is this normal???