New scorpion ID's

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Posting these for those who said they could help ID these, you know who you are!
I'm guessing Parabuthus schlecteri and capensis, but could be wrong.

Anyone else, feel free to jump in on ID'ing these. Coords/locs are on the pics.

I will be posting several more species of scorpions from the Western Cape province very soon, stay tuned.

Skywalker

Arachnopeon
Hi Matt,

1 and 2: female Parabuthus capensis
3: juvenile Parabuthus schlechteri
4: Uroplectes lineatus/variegatus?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I concur with Peter!

PS. Can you ship live...............;) :D

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's one to throw everyone off:

This parabuthus i have 3 specimens of. According to the collector, they get quite large. It was found in Kleinzee, SA, which is significantly further north than P. planicauda's range. Doesn't look like what we 'know' to be capensis...?

Color variant? can get pics of the metasomas of both if you all want to see.

-=ICM=-

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and some more to screw with you guys :)

I believe Parabuthus villosus is the dark colored one. I've never seen a dark color variant, and compared to the light-color-variants i've kept before, this one is much more hirsute. Am I right that it's P. villosus? This specimen is obviously still a juvenile, it's probably only about 9cm from tip of the tail to the eyes.

Also some more Uroplectes to throw in the mix. The larger male really has me confused. Never seen anything like it. The smaller one (it appears fatter) is a juvenile.

Skywalker

Arachnopeon
Hi Matt,

awesome scorps!! :)
I can't ID the species from Kleinzee only with that pic. More pics of the metasoma would be necessary.
Metasomal segment I and II dorsal and lateral view
Metasomal segment IV and V ventral and lateral view

The black specimen from Vioolsdrif is definitely a juvenile Parabuthus villosus black morph. But I have never seen one as hirsute as this one before. Very cool!!

The Uroplectes species are hard to ID. The second one could be an U. planimanus or U. carinatus juvie...but I'm absolutely not sure. There isn't much literature available or it is hopelessly outdated. I think you will have to ask one of the pros.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i lost my forceps, this is gonna be tough to get a live shot of the metasoma segments :D

Skywalker

Arachnopeon
But now more serious... ^^
You should be able to take pics of met seg IV and V ventral and lateral without the use of forceps. Met seg I and II dorsal won't be easy that way. But perhaps you can tell me if the stridulatory surface on those segments is composed of ridges or granules?

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

I can only make a comment on the Uroplectes species. The one from Vioolsdrif looks a lot like Uroplectes planimanus, but you say you have never seen anything like it (and I can imagine that you have seen planimanus males before...) The pedipalpmanus seems small though. It's not like the males which I have, but the picture does not have an ideal perspective to be sure.

Maybe you can explain what you think is so unusual about this male?

Maybe you can use Lamoral's key to the Namibian species to see if it is a related species like U. tumidimanus.

The one from Lutzville looks indeed like U. lineatus (or U. variegatus).

Nice to see your pics;)

greetz,
André

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hehe read the signature ;)
I only do scientific specimens... sorry!
Was just messin'with you :D I really like the quality of the pics and the scorpions. I am not much of a "Parabuthus man", I have kept some and they are great. I am focussing on other genera then Parabuthus and other african scorpions, the only African genera I am interested in are Babycurus and Grosphus. Keep those pics coming :D

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unfortunately I can't help you with the IDs. Those are excellent specimens. That's one hairy scorpion. I don't name my scorps, but I will make an exception and call it "Fluffy".:D