New Scorpion Enthusiast :)

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, those of you may know me as a tarantula enthusiast. Well... I stretched my standards and got 3 scorpions... 2 P. Imperator sub-adults and a Smeringurus mesaensis (California Gold) I think it's a scorpling...lol... Whatever you may call it.. It is a lil' snappy if ya know what I mean.. A little agressive guy.... hahaha.. They are beautiful... and now I got a new hobby!

Sorry no pics... My camera is out of batteries... but I will ASAP!

THANKS BILL ;) FOR THE BEAUTIFUL SCORPS!

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
welcome to a new addiction... i mean hobby.

great choices for starting scorps. you get to try housing both desert and rainforest species. are you going to keep your emps together?

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks and I know what you mean ;)

Yeah... They live communually.. What should I do? Any advice? ;) thanks

Originally posted by sabre
welcome to a new addiction... i mean hobby.

great choices for starting scorps. you get to try housing both desert and rainforest species. are you going to keep your emps together?

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
Yeah... They live communually.. What should I do? Any advice?

you said in a previous thread that you've read tons of caresheets before getting the scorpions so i am sure they are in good hands. the only thing i can suggest about communal living is that you provide atleast two different places to hide so they can have their own space if they want.

good luck, and go get batteries for your camera.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks

I did not come across anything on communual living. Well... I am glad I know :)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Raveness,

Glad to hear more ladies are getting into the hobby of scorps. I have always found them so fascinating.

Communual keeping will require a slightly larger tank as you go up in numbers as varies by the species being kept and maturity of them. Gravid females are recommended by me to be separated once they become large enough to have young (once this occurs for you).

adios,
edw.

nice pic. oh, sorry, back to scorps. *lol*

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Raveness,

Hey, I'm new to T's...plenty of experience with scorpions & snakes though. Hopefully we can learn from each other.

Yes, P. imperator and S. mesaensis are communal scorpions. But as XOskeletonRED pointed out, when housing scorpions communally, you will need to increase the size of the cage and provide ample space for the individual scorpions to retreat to.

P. imperator has been known to cannibalize each other in crowded conditions, and gravid females most definitely need to be separated.

S. mesaensis aren't as prone to cannibalism as P. imperator, but they can suffer from stress from crowded conditions, often leading to loss of appetite and eventually death.

Good luck with your new little buddies!