New school and Old school hobbyists why the divide in some places?

Have you been put off asking a question regarding Tarantulas incase of a harsh response?

• YES

• NO

• NOT SURE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My personal approach for delivering advice is to be respectful and to stick to the facts of the situation presented rather than "grandstanding" about how little research the person did. The lack of research is already obvious to us, and calling it out doesn't accomplish anything more than offering corrections does. Sometimes it even backfires, resulting in the person getting so defensive that they disregard sound advice -- to the tarantula's detriment.

Beginners are not a issue, it's the process of what the beginner wants to learn and if they did previous research before they asked the question on here on the boards.
People take the first source of information they find as gospel and do not even consider that they might want to double check with a couple of other sources.
Doing the research is something every responsible pet owner should do, but in fairness, if you are brand new to tarantulas, you may not have the requisite knowledge to distinguish between good information and misinformation. There is a lot of misinformation out there, much of which is proffered by people who claim to be experts. To a newbie, we are just strangers offering advice on a forum, not a known quantity. To a newbie, who's to say our advice is better than the care sheets or YouTube personalities they may have encountered?

I'm not saying we don't offer some of the best advice (we do) or that everyone who comes here has done their due diligence (they haven't), just that without at least some foundation of knowledge, it can be challenging to recognize which advice is good and which advice is BS. The more specialized or technical the area is, the truer this becomes.

And yeah, they could sift through all of that stuff -- good or bad -- and start asking for clarification/opinions from multiple sources, but I think some people just get easily overwhelmed by an abundance of information and just want a "reader's digest" version from someone with experience. That's why we made the beginner's thread and other resources, so we can just point them there when they ask instead of having to repeat ourselves.

Many beginners can find old or previous threads that answers the questions they're looking for. Yet beginners just ask the same questions anyway, this in a sense can be bothering to the more experienced keepers here on the boards since it's most likely already answered. No one is salty but rather the repetitiveness of the same questions can be a bother to some.
I understand how frustrating (and boring) it can be to see the same questions asked repeatedly when we know that a simple search or a glance at the beginner's thread contains the information they're looking for. However, I try not to be too snarky. When I'm in a less patient mood, I just let other people field those questions and look for more interesting threads.

I think most of the time, when our regulars come across as blunt or abrasive, it's not done with the intention of being mean. Instead, it is due to differences in communication styles, difficulties interpreting tone online, frustration at having answered the same question many times before, or sometimes just prioritizing the content of information over the delivery (or the welfare of the tarantula over its keeper's feelings).

Looking at this thread I wish the poll was different. I have never considered a rude response as a reason to not ask a question. In fact it's the exact opposite. I would not answer a question if I knew the recipient was going to be nasty. Why would I? You aren't doing me a favor asking a question... I'm doing you a favor answering it. I will not name names but there is a thread that has been going on for a while now about a species that is known for "double tapping". This keeper is very defensive about advice and comes across as very rude. Guess what? I ain't gonna lift a finger to help that person. Why would I? If they get bit that's their problem. Not mine. And they will end up in the hospital too. And I honestly would laugh!
Most of the keepers to whom I've given advice seem relatively open to it. When I encounter the few who insist on arguing against sound advice, I just disengage from those threads and move on. How such keepers are reacting reflects poorly on them, not me, and there's no need to waste energy feeling offended or time continuing to engage with them.

Just me. I do not believe this situation is an old/new school keeper issue. It’s a generational issue.
I'm not sure that this is really a generational issue so much as one of visibility. I know plenty of older people who don't do research (or can't evaluate it well), and plenty of young people who do. The same goes for the ability to handle disagreement or constructive criticism.

I think it's just that with Internet access being ubiquitous, and people coming online to ask questions of a wider audience, we are able to see this behavior in abundance, whereas 20 or 30 years ago, this behavior wouldn't be on display to people outside their personal circles of family, friends, and acquaintances.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve wanted this thread to have a stake driven through its heart for weeks now. However, it’s a zombie that no one has hit in the head yet. So, I’ll make a final statement. My initial comment was focused completely on the general generational aspect of receiving criticism and/or direction. My remarks come from well over thirty years of experience in being involved in vocations that necessitate criticizing and directing people from every walk of life, from every generation, in several different areas of America, Europe, and Asia, and my objective experience is the foundation for my comment. Very succinctly, older people generally do what they’re told by authorities (in whatever context), and accept criticism with much less argument than younger folks. I would also submit that the ratio of agreements and likes vs. disagrees (23/3), albeit not scientific, bears consideration as to the general consensus of the point.

Note: A phrase used above in an effort to counterpoint my submission is that it reads as if I present a, “Get off my lawn” position. Well, yeah. People should stay off other’s lawns, it’s common courtesy and respect.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
A lot of how a person is treated here on this site is often how they post their queries.

A person that posts, "Tell me how to breed G. pulchra". Is going to be treated very differently then the person that posts, "I'm breeding G. pulchra, here is what I've found to be effective and here is a problem that I'm having. Does anyone have any solutions?"

In one...the poster has stated I'VE DONE NOTHING TO EARN YOUR SUPPORT, and in the second...the poster has put forth and demonstrated an effort to learn, they have shared ideas and shared a few of their discoveries. They have a definite issue and are asking for help.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A lot of how a person is treated here on this site is often how they post their queries.

A person that posts, "Tell me how to breed G. pulcra". Is going to be treated very differently then the person that posts, "I'm breeding G. pulcra, here is what I've found to be effective and here is a problem that I'm having. Does anyone have any solutions?"

In one...the poster has stated I'VE DONE NOTHING TO EARN YOUR SUPPORT, and in the second...the poster has put forth and demonstrated an effort to learn, they have shared ideas and shared a few of their discoveries. They have a definite issue and are asking for help.
Thank you. This is one of my main sticking points too. I don't mind helping, but I'll be much more inclined to help a friendly, rational member than either a 'HELP!!! I DON'T KNOW WHICH SPECIES TO PICK' kind of person or a 'TELL ME HOW TO SET AN ENCLOSURE UP FOR A.GENICULATA'.
People complaining about rude old timers should read the posts of new keepers sometimes... Yikes.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account

A person that posts, "Tell me how to breed G. pulcra". Is going to be treated very differently then the person that posts, "I'm breeding G. pulcra, here is what I've found to be effective and here is a problem that I'm having. Does anyone have any solutions?"

I would agree in part about the queries. But sometimes it's hit or miss based off the topic itself. My last 2 threads I started just died. 1 response for the last one and no responses for the first :(

I don't think it's because of wording. If the other threads posted at the same time get a lot of traffic then my thread will just move down the list. Nature of the beast.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would agree in part about the queries. But sometimes it's hit or miss based off the topic itself. My last 2 threads I started just died. 1 response for the last one and no responses for the first :(

I don't think it's because of wording. If the other threads posted at the same time get a lot of traffic then my thread will just move down the list. Nature of the beast.
When I open the tab 'new posts' there is like 50 threads there... That's a bit much. If you want someone specifically looking at your question/thread, it helps if you tag them :)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Please don't take this as an insult, but I have to laugh every time I go onto the site and there are 3 threads, on the same page, saying, “HELP!!! My Tarantula has Buried itself” or “What’s wrong with my spider?”....only to find out that they've fed it 12 times that week and now it’s on a hunger strike.

I have to giggle...I remember those days. These animals are not normal animals.

Imagine sitting in court being charged with animal abuse, and trying to explain to a judge and jury that it’s perfectly normal to feed your pet only twice per month. The normal uneducated person is going to scream, “You Heathen...”

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Imagine sitting in court being charged with animal abuse, and trying to explain to a judge and jury that it’s perfectly normal to feed your pet only twice per month. The normal uneducated person is going to scream, “You Heathen...”
My mum gives me so much grief for not feeding my fat Ts and feeding my thin ones, saying I'm starving the poor things and I have to roll my eyes every time.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Didn't somebody post earlier about dropping a tiny roach into an enclosure and the sling ran up to it...then ran away.

I was drinking a coke when I read that post and had coke shooting out my nose.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My genic ran away from a pinhead last time I tried to feed it :(
That's okay. It will turn into a ravenous murder tank once it gets a bit bigger. The attitude normally sets in around the 1cm legspan. Or it is in premoult, slings don't need much to get them through their next moult. ;)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
That's okay. It will turn into a ravenous murder tank once it gets a bit bigger. The attitude normally sets in around the 1cm legspan. Or it is in premoult, slings don't need much to get them through their next moult. ;)
It's definitely in premolt :)