New Rosie

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I have been lurking around the past few days and today I did something I never thought I'd do I bought a Rose Hair! So I thought I'd post a pic also! I haven't held her yet but so far she has ate and drank so things are looking good! Now I just have to build up the nerve to hold her! Hehehehe!
Also if anyone is interested I also have snakes A Boa, Burm, and a Reticulated Python

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Shadrach,
Welcome to the hobby, and to the board.
You've started out with a good Tarantula. Rosea's are generally very calm. The key word is generally. So go slow with it.
What is that substrate? Is your T climbing the glass. If so, you may want to deepen it.
Anyway, were a helpful group, so read and ask.

Ernie

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, advice tip #1...hehe. If T climb glass....human must raise earth...make it grow so T no fall and go ..."splat!" hehe.

Welcome aboard, friend! It's good to see a new face, and hopefully one that will stay awhile! ;) We're all open to answer any questions you might have so good luck!

God bless,
Marcus

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
welcome to the boards, and to keeping Ts :)
G rosea is a good start. Like Mr T said, you might want to deepen the substrate. They are not good climbers, and a fall of even a few inches onto hard substrate, or an object could possibly burst the abdomen.
Some rosies are quite docile, and some people on the boards have the rosies from hell...just to warn you! Once you recognize her behaviour, you'll know whether it's safe to handle her. Make sure and do it on the floor, or a soft surface like the bed, in case one of you freaks out.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!
Holley

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Shadrach
today I did something I never thought I'd do I bought a Rose Hair!
And so it begins :D Once you get one there is no going back. Welcome to the boards and the wonderful addiction of tarantulas.
As has already been said, a rose hair is a good starter spider. They are generally tough as nails and rather tolerant of a wide variety of conditions but do raise that substrate. And just curious what that substrate is - if it is gravel I would recommend changing it to peatmoss or a peatmoss/vermiculite mix. Aquarium gravel, especially the sharp edged kind, can be very bad for a spider. They can rub sore spots onto their bellys or even puncture their abdomens on it.
As for handling, Immortal Sin speaks the truth - some rosies are sweet and some are monsters that never read the books that say they are supposed to be nice! Just get to know yours first before you try handling.

Gail

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the warm Welcomes!! Ok the substrate is something called lizard litter its soft and holds humidity really well and it's actually alot beeper than it looks in the shot! I went with it because it is a light color and I wanted to be able to see her really well. As far as her climbing not too much she did a little after going into the tank but has settled in under a log and is using it as her burrow now. OK as far as handling her I know nothing about T's warining sign's or behavior's, snake's yes nothing I won't touch in the reptile world but T's?? Well? I do know she will turn sometimes to see whats touching her when I tried try to direct her out of the deli cup with a pencil and has lifted her front legs but no hair flicking or biting as far as I can see, and she actually ran from the pencil. I can already see it's gonna take a lot of trust on both our parts to get into this handling thing! Also if any of you might live in North Carolina close to me feel free to contact me and come show me how it's done!!

Dr_Strange

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Some rosies are quite docile, and some people on the boards have the rosies from hell...just to warn you!
Yeah a lady that worked at a local petstore told me she had one of those rosie's from hell . Although ours was the best you could ever ask for. Which is why it seemed so strange to me at the time (I mean for a "G. Rosea").

But it's still a good choice; and just remember that just becuase a species is labeled docile doesn't mean that's reliable. You might wanna try a temperment test ( lightly touch the abdomen with a long rounded blunt object). I learned to do that before touching a Pterinochilus sp, lol. Luckily I've been unscathed.

Originally posted by shadrach
Also if anyone is interested I also have snakes A Boa, Burm, and a Reticulated Python
Cool pets although you couldn't pay me to own a Reticulated Python, lol Too agressive ;) and long enough to constrict me.

Last edited:

Kaissos5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a rosea and i'm using something called repti bark "100% pure fir bark" is that soft enough? can anyone also tell me how to sex these beauts? thanks

Kaiser

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IF this is your first spider you should probably not mate her/him or any other tarantulas until you have a little more experience. Although when you do, keep in mind you could have over 100 to 200 nymphs..

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Kaiss most male T's have a Tribal spur on the first set of leg's at the end of the tibia.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man! What can I say that hasn't been said already? :? Like MrT said, we're a helpful group. Welcome to the hobby!

:) Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Shadrach
Hey Kaiss most male T's have a Tribal spur on the first set of leg's at the end of the tibia.
This is true, except that only mature male T's have the spurs.
There are also some species that don't get the spurs even after they mature as well. ;)

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a rosea and i'm using something called repti bark "100% pure fir bark" is that soft enough? can anyone also tell me how to sex these beauts? thanks
Poor spider, get her off of that stuff. Give her a mix of peat moss and potting soil. That way if she wants to push some dirt around or burrow she has that ability. I know a lot of retarded pet shops put them on that bark crap but that is because they don't want the T to burrow so people can see it.

Yes, just as Atrax stated, only mature males will have this feature and they don't live too long after they haved molted into maturity. If your T has spurs than it sucks for you...lol. The best way to sex a T is by its exuvia, the molted exoskeleton. Located in between the two book lungs (the two white things in towards the front of the abdomen) their will be a triangle. If it is a flap then its a female. That's about as easily as I can explain it.

But for the most part get your poor tarantula off of that bark. ;)

Kaissos5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I couldn't find peat moss but i did find potting soil with peat moss so i swiched it. I put him in with a hide that is cork bark and a water bowl. I hope this is good for him any comments would be appreciated.

T

Tarantula

Roseas are great but their slow growth and unpredictable nature make them a spider that I would never want to get again. The one I have is old and geriatric so when she passes on to Spider heaven I won;t think of getting another one. I still think that they are hands down the best beginner tarantula.