New Rosie Eggs and New Smithi's

Pete d

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. just wanted to say that the eggsack my Rosie made around 4 weeks ago has been removed and there's exactly 150 eggs inside (see pics) by my count. really exciting :D can't wait for them to start hatching.

She doesn't seem too happy about the idea of us taking away her eggs but she's settling down and we fed her a couple of crickets too.

Also while im talking about news. I recieved my two new Red Knees through the post today. both look healthy. about 1cm big at the moment. ill put a picture up later for you all to see :)

And if anyone is interested in buying a rosie sling when theyve hatched let me know :D

Last edited:

Pete d

Arachnopeon
Sorry about the size btw... i cant get it to resize for some reason... im using photobucket and its done it but the IMG code still makes it BIGGGG

Raine

Arachnopeon
Why don't they sell well? I'm in Ontario, Canada and we love our G. Rosea here. They go for $10-$30 depending on size. Is it not like that elsewhere...?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why don't they sell well? I'm in Ontario, Canada and we love our G. Rosea here. They go for $10-$30 depending on size. Is it not like that elsewhere...?
They dont sell well because they are so common.. I for one wouldnt spend $10-$30 on a rosea when I can save that and spend it on something else.. Like... a pokie! :D

Raine

Arachnopeon
Hmm...see, I think maybe among hobbyists they don't sell well because they are common. But here people want them because they are supposedly one of the best beginner spiders and more docile. People just starting out who are a bit nervous and wanted a tarantula that is hardy and relatively easy to work with and handle go for them.

I don't see many ads up for the 'rarer' Ts where I am. I see the more common ones. Maybe it's because that's what people who aren't really into them but like them want...I don't know. But here they sell well. All the pet stores that have spiders or reptiles have them. I think there is also something about not being allowed to own venomous spiders around here...{D Didn't stop me though! And doesn't stop a few others I know of from going out of city to get them.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Congrats on the Rosie eggs!!! Next time you remove a sack, give the female a ping-bong ball, sometimes they take it and it makes them feel better.
As for the slings, you will be able to sell them to someone who supports CB spiders (like me). You may not be able to sell them for much (since an adult can go for $15 to $20 here in the USA) but eventually someone will buy. More importantly, you are having the experence so congrats on that!
Also congrats on the red knees! I have been raising 2 and they just get prettier all the time! Lets see more pics!

Raine

Arachnopeon
Well that makes two of us, Acro! They sell for $20 here. But I could not find anyone selling any for less than that right now. I like a lot of the CB ones. I don't care if they're common they're nice. :D

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Raine, the location isn't the difference here. It's not that people in Ontario like Roseas better than people in other places. Here they are the most common tarantulas in pet stores as well, and they sell as well as any others. (Though here they are $40) But at the moment, almost all Roseas in stores are Wild Caught rather than Captive Bred. Because they can take a long time to mature and because so many of them are caught and shipped out, it is often more cost effective for them to purchase one of those than one that someone with a sack had to put in all the time and effort to raise.
As far as people outside of petstores; as far as I can see the market is pretty saturated with these guys all round. With most tarantulas a person has to put in careful time and effort to breed, but it is not at all uncommon for somebody who has bought a Rosea to suddenly find they have 100-200 more than they bargained for...because they were Willd Caught and had eggs already. Then they have to find homes for them all. Lots of people, experienced hobbyists or beginners love these guys, wherever they are from, but it still isn't always easy to sell them. I would bet most people on here already have one or ten and do you know over 100 pet stores that would want to buy a baby or two? :D
To the OP, congrats! The eggs look nice. Good luck with all the young ones!