New River Rust Rump

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
So for my birthday my lovely SO surprised me with an adult female "New River Rust Rump.

I have to say these spiders are G O R G E O U S !!!!

why y'all been keeping these T's on the down low!? Oh my gosh these spiders are amazing.... beautiful, calm, easy to care for... its a peaceful spider.

A few of questions I have.
1. Why are these T.s named Aphonopelma sp "new river". I mean, why no scientific name?
2. Are these closely related to another T that they deserve the distinction?
3. How long do these T's live?
4. Do these T's go through a fasting period?

Here is a picture of my girl. I want to name her Shackelford but, that name does not scream femininity.

7940021945702037780_account_id=2.jpg

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
sp. "new river" means this species is not scientifically described yet, so in need to call them somehow they are named usually by location they are picked from or specific color they are. There is also term cf. (confer - compared to, resembles, similar to) that is sometimes used on tarantulas that look very similar to already described species, but you don't know for sure if they are that species or not.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
1. Why are these T.s named Aphonopelma sp "new river". I mean, why no scientific name?
Because the reality is that they are just A. chalcodes. People use to catch tarantulas from different locations and name them based on where they found them, with NO basis in science. That was put to an end last year: http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=6264

2, 5, 10, 20, 30 years, but you likely have no idea how old your tarantula there is.

They might.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Because the reality is that they are just A. chalcodes. People use to catch tarantulas from different locations and name them based on where they found them, with NO basis in science.
I actually agree with that approach, it's much dumber in my opinion to call wild collected animal already described species just because it "looks" like it. If you're not 100% what you took(seriosuly, leave that to scientists or certified wildlife collectors), put sp. or cf. near the name, much less confusion in the long run with less chances to make hybrids.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I do think that Aphonopelma is an underrated genus. I mean, just look at my A. chalcodes adult female:

That deep chocolate brown color is just amazing.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I actually agree with that approach, it's much dumber in my opinion to call wild collected animal already described species just because it "looks" like it. If you're not 100% what you took(seriosuly, leave that to scientists or certified wildlife collectors), put sp. or cf. near the name, much less confusion in the long run with less chances to make hybrids.
Really this locality should be labelled Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River".

There is (I think) also another locality that is darker, that is also A. chalcodes, the area it is collected in is slipping me at the moment. Then of course the "normal" A. chalcodes. "New River" is overall brighter than the "normal" chalcodes.
Take a look at my "normal" 2-3 month freshly molted chalcodes AD female, and you'll see the difference:
IMG_5609.JPG

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My girl in the photo was originally labeled an Aphonopelma sp. "Flagstaff Orange" due to the orange coloration on the first two legs (you can't see it in the photo I posted, you have to be looking at her just right from above and/or behind, and with just the right light reflection to catch it). Hence her name - Flagstaff Orange.

I never could keep up with all the names for Aphonopelmas there were previously.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
My girl in the photo was originally labeled an Aphonopelma sp. "Flagstaff Orange" due to the orange coloration on the first two legs (you can't see it in the photo I posted, you have to be looking at her just right from above and/or behind, and with just the right light reflection to catch it). Hence her name - Flagstaff Orange.

I never could keep up with all the names for Aphonopelmas there were previously.
Yeah, I'd label that one Aphonopelma chalcodes "Flagstaff Orange". This establishes that it is a chalcodes, but that it should not be bred with different chalcodes localities.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
So for my birthday my lovely SO surprised me with an adult female "New River Rust Rump.

why y'all been keeping these T's on the down low!? Oh my gosh these spiders are amazing.... beautiful, calm, easy to care for... its a peaceful spider.

Here is a picture of my girl. I want to name her Shackelford but, that name does not scream femininity.

View attachment 224434
Congrats on the gorgeous T! :D And I totally agree! I love my AF A. chalcodes -- beautiful, calm and easy to care for -- just like you say! I know that not all of the genus are the same (at least A. moderatum have a reputation) but I'm getting some A. gabeli and A. marxi slings and look forward to watching them grow and develop although I am prepared for it to be slow because yes, these T's absolutely go through fasting periods! My gray Aphonopelma sling (probably A. hentzi but don't know) has only eaten one cricket a month since I bought it but unlike my other slings, does actually use it's water dish for it's intended purpose (instead of as a disposal bin or architectural element, lol!).

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I'd label that one Aphonopelma chalcodes "Flagstaff Orange". This establishes that it is a chalcodes, but that it should not be bred with different chalcodes localities.
Do you know how many varieties of A. chalcodes there are? Or what ones do you know of? I'm sure people probably disagree on which are truly different, etc., but am curious what differences are known. :)

Any thoughts on what type/locality mine is? I didn't exactly get detailed info, but she's lovely. :happy:

I'd also love to know what type @MrSmith86's lovely blonde is!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The chalcodes is one species of Aphonopelma that I want to eventually obtain. I love the colors for them. I only have Hentzi and Marxi so far.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
The chalcodes is one species of Aphonopelma that I want to eventually obtain. I love the colors for them. I only have Hentzi and Marxi so far.
my dream Apho is bicoloratum, pretty much only one i really want to have :D

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Do you know how many varieties of A. chalcodes there are? Or what ones do you know of? I'm sure people probably disagree on which are truly different, etc., but am curious what differences are known. :)

Any thoughts on what type/locality mine is? I didn't exactly get detailed info, but she's lovely. :happy:

I'd also love to know what type @MrSmith86's lovely blonde is!
I'm not totally sure, but I'd guess yours is "New River", because it is significantly blonder/brighter than mine. Not sure though, maybe @Exoskeleton Invertebrates can shed some light.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelma chalcodes should be label as follow.

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Flagstaff Orange"
Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River"
Aphonopelma chalcodes "Tucson"

Etc, etc, etc............

Never mix match for breeding, breed male and female of the same locality.

lanny

Arachnopeon

View attachment 224434
Females can live 30 to 40 years!

lanny

Arachnopeon
Most of the aphonopelmas look alike and I' m sure they're closely related.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
One of my favorite species right here. That beautiful blonde color is unmatched.