"NEW" rehousing question - help please

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this topic comes up a lot - I just can't figure out how to do this one, using the usual methods.

My L. parahybana got up from its latest molt and is now as wide as the 5-gal aquarium its in, and a little longer than the width. Obviously it needs a bigger home. But how to move it!

A soda bottle is not big enough for the leg span now, I can't put the 5-gal into the 20-gal if the 20 has enough substrate, as the top of the 5 will be higher, I can't tip the 5 because the water dish might fall on the T and kill it, and I can't take the water dish out because the T says it will kill me.

Good ideas, please. (and thanks)

I am getting a C. crawshayii juvie (2 inch) next week, and it is just going into a 20 to start out with!

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Place the 5 in the bath tub and convince him to come out. Then pick him up with a open / cut water 5 litre botle (not sure if botle is the correct name)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
milk jug instead of 2 liter bottle? :)

i have a HUGE deli cup i move my blondi with.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
honestly, a mature male blondi came in it for a breeding loan. i don't know where the sender acquired the cup, but it's awesome. :)
thanks Kitty_b it must be a impressive deli cup to house a mm blondi. did the breeding succeded?

Sorry Annie3Ponies for posting here not related to the post

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it were me it would find a container that fits into the 5gal, like one of those ziplock disposable bowls or something. and use tongs to lower it in, tipped up on end so the T can walk in, and use a paint brush (like an artists brush) to guide the T in, then put the top on. But thats just me.

let me know what you come up with.:?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where did you got the deli cup from?
This wouldn't be one of those clear plastic bowl type containers that gummy tarantulas and other candies come in down at the corner convenience store, would it? About 8" in diameter by 4" tall? (10 X 20 cm) They look like a clear cottage cheese carton on steroids.

Besides, you'll like the gummy tarantulas!

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This wouldn't be one of those clear plastic bowl type containers that gummy tarantulas and other candies come in down at the corner convenience store, would it? About 8" in diameter by 4" tall? (10 X 20 cm) They look like a clear cottage cheese carton on steroids.

Besides, you'll like the gummy tarantulas!
Thanks for the tip, i will look for one this weekend.
And gumms are always wellcome {D

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
remember they can "scrunch". So even if your para is 7" relaxed that's probably as small as 3 or 4 inchs if it want's to be. If you just gentely put the cup over the T lightly touching their legs, it will pull it's legs in close so you can cup it fully. If it doesn't use a paint brush to "tickle" it.

I just did this with my 7.5" blondi and a 4" wide cup (it was ~8" tall). Sliped some cardboard under it and I had him transfered in no time.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you can put your finger on his carapace and push down, then grab him between leg 2 and 3 on both sides firmly and hold him pick him up and put him in the new container. but remember to move fast when you let it go lol

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The trouble is with spiders is that no matter how big the tank is, sooner or later for some reason or another they have to be moved. I must say I have been putting alot of thought into moving my H.schmidti, and the above idea doesn't appeal to me either lol. I think I'm going to put a pot over her burrow and flood her into it........... but that is not going to work for my H.gigas is it! How easy is it for them to get out of the bath?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The trouble is with spiders is that no matter how big the tank is, sooner or later for some reason or another they have to be moved. I must say I have been putting alot of thought into moving my H.schmidti, and the above idea doesn't appeal to me either lol. I think I'm going to put a pot over her burrow and flood her into it........... but that is not going to work for my H.gigas is it! How easy is it for them to get out of the bath?
just dig the gigas up

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am getting a C. crawshayii juvie (2 inch) next week, and it is just going into a 20 to start out with!
I've been up for a few days straight (the consequence of getting access to about 30 online academic databases with hundreds upon thousands of pages of peer reviewed articles and other mental goodies only people with nothing to do on a Friday night could fully appreciate) so please forgive me if I read this statement wrong because I probably am...

...but putting a 2 inch spider in a 20 gallon tank is a really bad idea.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not a 'Gummie'. I live in an old house with nooks and crannies everywhere. An escaped spider is going to be a totally lost one, and H.schmidti dehydrates very quickly so I have read, and I really like her. The guy who posted a while ago about repotting tarantulas in the middle of the road has a point.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
' I'm not a 'Gummie' ' - meaning I don't like them, I pot up my Blondie in an ice cream container.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know this topic comes up a lot - I just can't figure out how to do this one, using the usual methods.

My L. parahybana got up from its latest molt and is now as wide as the 5-gal aquarium its in, and a little longer than the width. Obviously it needs a bigger home. But how to move it!

A soda bottle is not big enough for the leg span now, I can't put the 5-gal into the 20-gal if the 20 has enough substrate, as the top of the 5 will be higher, I can't tip the 5 because the water dish might fall on the T and kill it, and I can't take the water dish out because the T says it will kill me.

Good ideas, please. (and thanks)

Hi Annie..Dang thats a big girl you have there...
I'm assuming its a female L para, care to share a photo of her? Is that a standard 5 gallon aquarium you have her in? those are 16"x8" and if I'm reading your post right, so is the spider, lol. I just moved a juvie L para from a medium KK it had outgrown into a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium. He/She had the whole bottom 1/2 of the KK (which was pretty much filled with coco fiber) tunneled out, and was basically living underground. I got the new aquarium all set up, then using a spoon, dug the lil grouch out of the KK. When I got enough substrate dug out of the KK, I just flipped it upside down in the new tank and "Larry" was home free, lol. These spiders grow really fast, when I got "Larry" he/she was just a lil transparent 1/2" dude that i was afraid to touch, fearing I might kill him/her. Now he/she is approx 5 inches, and thats just since last October. IMO, I would just put your new C crawshaii in the 5 gallon after you get the L para moved...yeah a 20 is way too big. Maybe you could distract the L para by feeding a cricket to her, then remove her water dish with some tongs. I did that the other day cause mine pooped in its bowl, seemed to work pretty well, food seems to have a calming effect. Well good luck girl, have fun.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I would do, coax the T to move out into the bathtub, wait for her? to settle down, then gently place a clear large salad container over her, and gently slide the plastic lid on underneath. Has worked fine for corraling my over 6-inch para, they dont react very much to placing the container over them, as long as you do it slowly. Just make sure you don't trap a leg while sliding the lid under.