New purple baboon species!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

I'm just gonna leave this here.

New species of baboon spider found in Mozambique. When I made a post about this I thought it was blue. Its purple, even better !

I am in love.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Welp, Africa here I come. Need to make a trip, just for the chance of finding and taking back a female for myself ;) Can't believe it's colors! It's a PBT: Purple Bitey Thing :D

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
But then again she is possibly purple too...
Yeah, that´s just as likely :)

This and the new Ceratogyrus with the oversized horn was discovered in the second half of last year. It really makes me wonder what else might lurking in burrows across Africa!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

This and the new Ceratogyrus with the oversized horn was discovered in the second half of last year. It really makes me wonder what else might lurking in burrows across Africa!
There is much more... As many other continents too. New species around every corner :)

Apparently there is an all black Monocentropus sp. been found too. I will share info here if I find it again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

No one's characterized that T yet to my knowledge, have they? I'm not convinced it's a new species yet, maybe it's an aberrant phenotype...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
No one's characterized that T yet to my knowledge, have they? I'm not convinced it's a new species yet, maybe it's an aberrant phenotype...
As far as I know no one has classified it officially yet, no. But it certainly looks like a new species and optimistic as I am, I will "accept it as good fish" (as we say in Norway) until proven otherwise :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I'm just gonna leave this here.

New species of baboon spider found in Mozambique. When I made a post about this I thought it was blue. Its purple, even better !

I am in love.
This poor animal will be exploited in no time IMO, before it's even characterized by science. I hope its population is not affected dramatically, but of course, how would man know without doing a proper population study first. I have my doubts about the benefits of citizen science.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far as I know no one has classified it officially yet, no. But it certainly looks like a new species and optimistic as I am, I will "accept it as good fish" (as we say in Norway) until proven otherwise :)
That's what I thought. Until characterized, I won't go on blind faith, that's bad fish ;) I apologize for mangling your Norwegian expression in advance.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@viper69 If it is the findings of the black Monocentropus you are wanting to know? .. if it is, I'm trying to find the note page and photo.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I won't go on blind faith, that's bad fish ;) I apologize for mangling your Norwegian expression in advance.
Ah, but you have a good grasp on that expression! You should never accept anything as "good fish", as doing so means exactly to accept something on blind faith or dubious grounds. Usually you will find that expression used as "you shouldn´t take this as good fish, but what if..."

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Great, more spiders to be farmed out of greed and with no regard to their population stability or laws. I hope the locality is kept secret, although I highly doubt it. As the saying goes - whenever a new species is introduced, 2 Germans have already booked tickets and packed vials :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Great, more spiders to be farmed out of greed and with no regard to their population stability or laws. I hope the locality is kept secret, although I highly doubt it. As the saying goes - whenever a new species is introduced, 2 Germans have already booked tickets and packed vials :)
Towels on sunbeds already?