New puppy..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got a new puppy today! :D I was trying to get one from a rescue.. But every one that I saw that I would have considered to get was already adopted.. :eek:

Anyways.. I was looking on craigslist.. :rolleyes: (I know! Not the best place to find dogs..) But they guy I got her from was not a breeder or nothing.. He had just bought the dog for himself.. Then moved into a new apartment.. The landlord said that the breed of dog was not allowed.. He either had to get rid of her or move.. He said he couldnt move so he had to part with the puppy..

The guy told me that she is a Gator/Ambull.. Said the momma was the Gator & the daddy was the AmBull.. (Im just saying what I was told..) She had turned 7 weeks on the the 10th.. I will be getting her shots for her tomorrow.. He said he didnt get those done! :rolleyes:

I almost didnt get her.. But once I saw her.. Seen how she was acting.. I really couldnt say no! She is the cutest little puppy!

Here are some pictures.. :D Sorry they are not the best! She kept trying to goof off with Tyler! {D At first he didnt want nothing to do with her.. But has warmed up to her! He is a good boy..

Then she took a nap.. After a little bit of goffing around.. I think the hour drive and all that took a bit of a toll on her..

This is the first dog I have ever had with one blue eye & one grey eye.. (Looks grey atleast!) One thing that concerns me.. Is that blue eye going to cause problems in the future?

She is the cutest & really a sweet little pup! For seven weeks old she is smart! She whines when she needs to go out, she runs to you when called.. I think she is going to do good here.. :)

Now.. I do sort of have a few questions..

The guy was feeding her some dog food I have never heard of.. First off.. Arent puppies supposed to eat "puppy" food & not dog food? The stuff he said he has been using is called Green Brier Kennel Club "Dog Food"..

If I should change her diet.. What is the best one?

I also forgot how to house train a puppy! Oh boy! This is going to be fun.. My Chihuahua has been house trained for as long as I can remember.. LoL!
She is doing good so far! Be when she does have accidents.. (Which I am sure she will!) What is the best actions to take? I would assume saying no in a firm voice then placing her outside.. When doing this.. Does telling them thats a no no.. Does that even do anything?

I will be building her a little fenced in area beside the house.. (No! She will not be left outside unsupervised..) Just going to be for when she does have her accidents & a place where I can let her off her leash & run.. :)

I have no clue what to name her either! :eek: Any suggestions are welcome! :D

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Aww so cute! Any name ideas yet?

I personally suggest Acana or Wellness (both come in puppy) for food.

As for potty training, nowadays it's best practice to not dicipline but to take the puppy immediately outside to their potty spot (better late than never thing). If the puppy didn't go outside, that's the owner's fault for not taking it outside fast enough. The puppy didn't know better (yet).

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ohhhhh, she is soooooo cute!!!! I love the blue eye. I know in cats, a blue eye indicates deafness if I am correct. Ask the vet when you bring him in for his first checkup and shots. You will have to think of a name by then! LOL. Yes, puppy food! Puppies are so cute, I always just want to rub their little bellies. :) For such a big tough "redneck" you sure are a big ole softy. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww so cute! Any name ideas yet?

I personally suggest Acana or Wellness (both come in puppy) for food.

As for potty training, nowadays it's best practice to not dicipline but to take the puppy immediately outside to their potty spot (better late than never thing). If the puppy didn't go outside, that's the owner's fault for not taking it outside fast enough. The puppy didn't know better (yet).
Thanks! :) No name ideas yet.. Well.. Princess has actually crossed my mind.. But... Im not sue I want to name her that.. So.. Names are still going.. :eek:

Acana or Wellness? I will give one of them a try.. My folks are running into town in a bit.. Might have them grab something and bring it back over..

Thats what I was thinking on the potty training.. I remember the ol' rub their nose in it and take them out trick.. Never thought that worked much.. :rolleyes:

Both your dogs have beautiful coloring!
Thanks! :) The Chihuahua is actually getting to where he has more hairloss than coloration.. LoL! Thats why he looks so... light colored..

Ohhhhh, she is soooooo cute!!!! I love the blue eye. I know in cats, a blue eye indicates deafness if I am correct. Ask the vet when you bring him in for his first checkup and shots. You will have to think of a name by then! LOL. Yes, puppy food! Puppies are so cute, I always just want to rub their little bellies. :) For such a big tough "redneck" you sure are a big ole softy. :)
Thanks Kathy.. The eye color hasnt really shown to be a bother as of now.. Her hearing & sight are good.. But I def. will have the vet take a look at it while we are there.. Going to try getting her in tomorrow.. She has a slight case of worms in the poo.. Ick!

Also.. How do you find me to be a "softy"? {D I just happen to be a big tough redneck who really likes animals.. :p

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Great pictures, Tommy. She's so cute! I don't know why but every time I look at her pictures I think of Cinnamon.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your puppy is no "Gator"-bred dog. Real "Gator" bloodline dogs are game-bred American Pit Bull Terriers line-bred on Plummer's Alligator, a champion pit dog from largely Carver and Tudor lines. ONE of the parents of your pup was a merle dog, because she herself is a merle. The merle gene, which is a dominant gene, was NEVER found in the American Pit Bull Terrier breed or any of its predecesors, and since it's dominant, a dog cannot "carry" the gene, to have it just "pop up" generations later. To get merle, you must breed to merle. That gene is the source of your pup's dark patches on a light background and her blue eye. The genetic source of so-called merle "pit bulls" is the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. Recent crosses made with this breed, which I also have and bred for many years, are common on the dog yards of many wild hog hunters, and unscrupulous breeders have attempted to cash in on the look of the merle and the Catahoula's aggressive, territorial, take-no-prisoners attitude to create big, bad, "rare merle pits". UKC and ADBA both stopped registering merle "pit bulls" because they realized that these were Catahoula crosses. Many such dogs are actually purebred Catahoulas! Your pup looks to be very high-percentage Catahoula Cur, except for her ears, which are typically more floppy in a Catahoula. I can't see the AmBull at all. Out of all the breeds I've had over the decades, Catahoulas and Akita Inus were probably the most challenging, and the most aggressive. Socialized or not, the typical Catahoula attitude towards a stranger on their territory is "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out". No joke. One of my game-bred APBT's, a linebred Wood's Snooty x Boudreaux's Eli dog, made the mistake of getting off his chain during the night and jumping a big male red merle Catahoula I had named Geromino. He paid a dear price, having to have a rear leg amputated(or rather, FINISH having it amputated, as Geronimo did a pretty complete job himself), and eventually having to be put down due to what amounted to "shaken dog syndrome". He had brain damage from being picked up and shaken like a dishrag until unconcious. Geronimo suffered only a few punctures, nothing that even warranted a trip to the vet, and HE was still on his chain. That's something you need to keep in mind with any dog that is part Catahoula. You can't slip up with these guys. You MUST be absolutely Alpha, 24/7, and you'd better have some intense work "projects" lined up for her, since Catahoulas do not handle boredom well at all! They are bred exclusively as high-intensity working and big-game hunting dogs. Good luck with her, but know what you've gotten yourself into!

pitbulllady

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice looking pup! Like the little bit of brindle in the tan looks great.Boy she got some feet LOL! She is going to a be a big girl.Love the way here ears try to stand.As far as dog food we always used the tried and true classic,puppy chow.

She looks well taking care of nice coat and looks well feed.Very happy you got her Bud..

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Thanks! :) No name ideas yet.. Well.. Princess has actually crossed my mind.. But... Im not sue I want to name her that.. So.. Names are still going.. :eek:

Acana or Wellness? I will give one of them a try.. My folks are running into town in a bit.. Might have them grab something and bring it back over..
Haha it's alright. I take forever to name my animals. My dog didn't have a name for 3 weeks {D

Acana isn't usually found in regular petshops. I get mine at the feed store. Wellness is sold at Petco now.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pitbulllady scared me. Are you saying this cute little puppy is going to turn into a mean, aggressive fighter? :( Can genes play that big a part? I would think if redneck showered her with love and affection she would not grow up that way. Seriously, your post upsets me.

I will be waiting to see what you name her. Princess was the name of my white cat. What about Brandy? She is kind of that color.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pitbulllady scared me. Are you saying this cute little puppy is going to turn into a mean, aggressive fighter? :( Can genes play that big a part? I would think if redneck showered her with love and affection she would not grow up that way. Seriously, your post upsets me.

I will be waiting to see what you name her. Princess was the name of my white cat. What about Brandy? She is kind of that color.
Oh shucks she is just jealous :p The pup will be fine,he will care for it properly and in the right environment.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Plummer's Alligator PBl, wasn't these dogs black?
Yes, he was a black dog.

The dark patches in this pup's coat do not result from "brindling", as one poster suggested. Brindle patterning consists of striping. These patches, as well as the blue eye, come from the MERLE coat pattern, one I'm very, very familiar with, as it is the "default" pattern in Catahoula Leopard Dogs. Many merle dogs with a lot of white on them ARE deaf, either in one or both ears, due to this being a "lethal-dominant" gene, similar to the "lethal white" gene found in horses. Many such dogs are homozygous merles, which means they do not have the recessive gene for the normal(non-merle or sold)coat pattern, which acts as a modifier of the effects of the lethal-dominant merle gene. All of the deaf "double-merle"(homozygous)merle dogs I've seen, though, had both blue eyes. Blue eyes in a merle dog do NOT necessarily mean the dog is deaf, since I've had many Catahoulas with "glass", or blue eyes, which had exceptionally sharp hearing, but anytime I see a merle dog with a lot of white on it, I know to really observe that one closely.

Other than the ears on this little pup having more "lift" than most Catahoula pups' ears, she could pass as a pure-bred Catahoula.

pitbulllady

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tommy, Awesome-lookin little girl you got there!!.....currently stumped on a name, though. Call her "Blue" for the eye. :D

Pitbullady, I agree with you on the strange-dog aggression factor with Catahoula and Catahoula cur-type dogs somewhat. I've never owned one but have been around quite a few owned by family members and others over the years. There are a few other breeds I'd put way ahead of them in that respect. Akita is certainly one. I noticed you used the name Inu. Is that the full name of Akita? Speaking of Inu, a Tosa would be nice. :)

Tommy, enjoy that new pup!

Terry

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually a Catahoula Leopard Dogs I found as a pup on the highway was the best ever hog dog I had ever had.She was huge,Breed her to friends some kind of bob tail male hog dog and she dropped 15 pups:eek:.Some did come with a lot of white and glass eyes.She was all grayish Merle,black spots no glass eyes.

She was first at baying up the hog till the pack caught up and was present and then she would "catch",very amazing dog.A lot of people did not believe it tell they seen it.Far as them whipping pits,yea a lot of hog dog owners had their prize catch dog near death as result of getting loose or when another female in heat,causing a the male trying to win breeding rights.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Redneck, if it is a Catahoula as pitbulllady says, IMHO, i'd put her back online & advertise her as such to a home that understands her breeding. It sounds like you need a breed that is more appropriate for being in the public & around people plus a lower working drive since you may be working on & off.

I've known some people that had them in nonworking homes & all had to be rehomed. The ones i've known in working homes...it was frightening. They didn't have as much control over them as one should when utilizing a dog for guarding.

And, pitbulllady could correct me on this, seems like I remember they are slow to mentally mature? Might be getting them mixed up with another breed, but I could swear I remember a few people saying theirs weren't "together" until after 2yrs.

Though you can find individuals of most breeds that just aren't suitable for the job they've been bred for, there are many many breeds of working dogs that you just can't "love" out what they've been bred for, for many generations.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pictures, Tommy. She's so cute! I don't know why but every time I look at her pictures I think of Cinnamon.
Thanks Toni! :) I think the name princess is going to stick with her.. I had my mom & sister pickout a collar/harness & a leash.. Wouldnt you know it.. Let women pick something out.. They have to get the prissy stuff! :p Now.. My pooch has a dark pink collar/harness with light pink hearts on it! :rolleyes: With a matching leash! {D It actually looks really cute on her.. So.. Princess it is! :D

Your puppy is no "Gator"-bred dog. Real "Gator" bloodline dogs are game-bred American Pit Bull Terriers line-bred on Plummer's Alligator, a champion pit dog from largely Carver and Tudor lines. ONE of the parents of your pup was a merle dog, because she herself is a merle. The merle gene, which is a dominant gene, was NEVER found in the American Pit Bull Terrier breed or any of its predecesors, and since it's dominant, a dog cannot "carry" the gene, to have it just "pop up" generations later. To get merle, you must breed to merle. That gene is the source of your pup's dark patches on a light background and her blue eye. The genetic source of so-called merle "pit bulls" is the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. Recent crosses made with this breed, which I also have and bred for many years, are common on the dog yards of many wild hog hunters, and unscrupulous breeders have attempted to cash in on the look of the merle and the Catahoula's aggressive, territorial, take-no-prisoners attitude to create big, bad, "rare merle pits". UKC and ADBA both stopped registering merle "pit bulls" because they realized that these were Catahoula crosses. Many such dogs are actually purebred Catahoulas! Your pup looks to be very high-percentage Catahoula Cur, except for her ears, which are typically more floppy in a Catahoula. I can't see the AmBull at all. Out of all the breeds I've had over the decades, Catahoulas and Akita Inus were probably the most challenging, and the most aggressive. Socialized or not, the typical Catahoula attitude towards a stranger on their territory is "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out". No joke. One of my game-bred APBT's, a linebred Wood's Snooty x Boudreaux's Eli dog, made the mistake of getting off his chain during the night and jumping a big male red merle Catahoula I had named Geromino. He paid a dear price, having to have a rear leg amputated(or rather, FINISH having it amputated, as Geronimo did a pretty complete job himself), and eventually having to be put down due to what amounted to "shaken dog syndrome". He had brain damage from being picked up and shaken like a dishrag until unconcious. Geronimo suffered only a few punctures, nothing that even warranted a trip to the vet, and HE was still on his chain. That's something you need to keep in mind with any dog that is part Catahoula. You can't slip up with these guys. You MUST be absolutely Alpha, 24/7, and you'd better have some intense work "projects" lined up for her, since Catahoulas do not handle boredom well at all! They are bred exclusively as high-intensity working and big-game hunting dogs. Good luck with her, but know what you've gotten yourself into!

pitbulllady
PBL.. Thank you for taking the time you put into all your post.. It is very much appreciated! I have been looking through a pitbull forum.. Just lurking... Trying to read & learn as much as I can about the breed..

Even if what I have is not actually a " true pitbull".. She is a bully mut.. If I am reading what your saying right.. :eek:

As for getting "in over my head".. Eh.. I always like a good challenge! :) I guess that is the only way I can really look at it now.. Do the best I can at rasing her & giving her the best workout/job I can.. If I have to.. I will look into finding some locals with this breed.. See what they do & learn from them with some hands on..

Thank you again for all your insight! :)

Nice looking pup! Like the little bit of brindle in the tan looks great.Boy she got some feet LOL! She is going to a be a big girl.Love the way here ears try to stand.As far as dog food we always used the tried and true classic,puppy chow.

She looks well taking care of nice coat and looks well feed.Very happy you got her Bud..
Kevin.. Thanks man! She has been really good so far.. She whines when she needs out.. I take her out on her leash.. She does her business.. Plays with Tyler a bit.. When Tyler gets tired.. He comes in.. She follows him in & goes straight to her new favorite spot (Under my desk!) and lays down..

She seems to be coping well with the new transition.. She is currently laying at my feet sleeping.. :D

Haha it's alright. I take forever to name my animals. My dog didn't have a name for 3 weeks {D

Acana isn't usually found in regular petshops. I get mine at the feed store. Wellness is sold at Petco now.
Well.. I had my mom grab some puppy food for her.. The kind I have always fed my Chihuahua.. He has always ate Purina for as long as I can remember.. I will see how well she does on this for now.. Thanks for the advice on the diet though! :)

Tommy, Awesome-lookin little girl you got there!!.....currently stumped on a name, though. Call her "Blue" for the eye. :D

Pitbullady, I agree with you on the strange-dog aggression factor with Catahoula and Catahoula cur-type dogs somewhat. I've never owned one but have been around quite a few owned by family members and others over the years. There are a few other breeds I'd put way ahead of them in that respect. Akita is certainly one. I noticed you used the name Inu. Is that the full name of Akita? Speaking of Inu, a Tosa would be nice. :)

Tommy, enjoy that new pup!

Terry
Thanks Terry.. :) I am hoping I dont see any dog aggression from her.. Maybe I will get lucky! If I dont though... I will take her in with a pro. trainer & get that worked out..

Redneck, if it is a Catahoula as pitbulllady says, IMHO, i'd put her back online & advertise her as such to a home that understands her breeding. It sounds like you need a breed that is more appropriate for being in the public & around people plus a lower working drive since you may be working on & off.

I've known some people that had them in nonworking homes & all had to be rehomed. The ones i've known in working homes...it was frightening. They didn't have as much control over them as one should when utilizing a dog for guarding.

And, pitbulllady could correct me on this, seems like I remember they are slow to mentally mature? Might be getting them mixed up with another breed, but I could swear I remember a few people saying theirs weren't "together" until after 2yrs.
Im sorry if this comes off as rude.. Or as that newb that does not want to hear good advice that is given.. I hope you dont take it that way..

I am not one to get a dog.. Then just because it turns out to be something completely different than what I was expecting.. Just turn around and "resell" it just because I dont want to have to put a little time and effort into training or learning myself..

Maybe in my other thread I wasnt clear.. When I go back to work.. I wont be working "off & on".. I will be have a set schedule of which days to work.. Seven days of working.. Seven days of not working.. In the seven days of working I will work anywhere from 12-20 hours a day.. If I get a day of 20 hours.. Its when we a relocating the drilling rig.. So.. I will mostly be working 12 hours a day.. I just added -20 to basically say there is a chance of me working longer than a 12 hour day..

During the week I work.. I can run her & work her.. Just not as often..
During the week I am off.. That will be seven days of nothing but working for her..

I plan to start working her as soon as I learn what kind of work can be done with a seven week old puppy. This is something "I" have to learn as well.. Not just the puppy.. So.. We (The puppy & I..) are going to be learning together..

Maybe it was not exactly the right choice.. But whats done is done.. Im not going to just sell her off just because I might have to put a bit more work into having her.. Honestly.. For you to assume I would do something like that is a bit offensive.. But I am sure you didnt mean any offence by your post..

I have never personally owned a Catahoula.. But I known people who have.. I understand the energy they have.. I really cant say I knew about their dog aggression.. Because the ones I seen were actually friendly to humans & other dogs.. That is something I hope I dont see in this pup.. (The dog aggerssion that is!) If I do.. I will figure out what the appropriate actions are.. Then I will take them..

Sorry for making this so long..

Thank you all for your input & kind words! :)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What an adorable puppy! {D on the pink collar with the hearts. That's awesome. Fear the vicious puppy! Looks like I came in too late with the name thing. I was going to suggest "Mischief" 'cause in that last picture she looks sort of guilty, like she's just done something. When she grows up, her and your chihuahua will make a funny pair going for walks and stuff. Hopefully, since she is growing up with him from a very young age she will take a less aggressive view on other dogs. I would try to introduce her to as many different sizes and shapes of dogs and humans as possible over the next while, myself. I have no experience with pitbulls or catahoulas so must defer to pitbulllady's greater knowledge as far as those guys, but my own experience with other types of highstrung working dogs is that they make absolutely awesome and loyal pets as long as they have enough to stimulate their minds and plenty of exercise. We haven't talked much, but from reading posts and following threads I have seen your obvious dedication to the animals you keep. I am sure that you will give Princess an excellent home.
And I love the white tip to her tale, and her little freckled nose, and her cool eyes, and her half propped-up ears.... Congrats on the new bundle o' cute!

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She's an adorable pup, Redneck. Try not to be too intimidated by all of the suggestions on what this dog "will" be like because of her breed/mix; while every breed has certain behavioral traits, most of the less favorable ones can be curbed by careful training and thorough socialization. The ammount of effort you invest in your dog will generally be reflected in its behavior, irrespective of its breed. Just be aware of the potential problem areas and work on them from the get-go - and stay consistent over time, of course. Best of luck with her!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really didn't mean to offend you Tommy :) I really do believe you a good animal person & will put in the necessary work.

It's just that I see/hear so much about working/herding dogs ending up in the wrong situation, I hate it when things turn out badly in the end. Especially since some breeds can turn out dangerous. I'm just more concerned with your, your family, & the puppy's wellbeing :) If you keep her, please do get involved with some locals that have experience with her breed, that really would be awesome.

The people i've known with them didn't all have dangerous dogs either. The non-working homes were people with young dogs with 9-5 type jobs. Those dogs didn't show aggression, they just found ways to entertain themselves. But I have a feeling that you probably have a large yard or land, which would make your situation still better then theirs as were in apartments & subdivision type areas. The couple of people that we knew were dangerous ones were simply idiots who thought you can simply turn guard dogs loose & allow them to guard without any form of training or control :rolleyes:

I really hope I didn't offend you to much :) You don't strike me as the type to abandon a dog over something like a little bit more work, but I don't think there is any harm at all in anyone saying a breed isn't a suitable mix. My family members have gotten us so many poor choices in dog breeds that we later had to rehome (mom decided to adopt a greyhound...we lived on 40 acres with no fenced in yard :rolleyes:) due to breed traits, i'll never get another dog without extensive research :(