New project vs old project

user 666

Arachnobaron
I am coming up with a new design for an arboreal enclosure. I am using this post to free-associate and throw the floor open for suggestions

On the left is my last arboreal enclosure and in the center is the new project (the Kritter keeper on the end is my N incei enclosure).
P1040780.JPG

Both arboreal enclosures are made from Hobby Lobby display cases, but the case for the new project is close to twice as tall and a little deeper (5.5 x 6.5 x 8.5 vs 6 x 7 x 15.5).

I've built 3 enclosures in 3 of the smaller cases (more details here). What I have learned is that it's not really tall enough to provide a diverse environment for,s ay, a 4" T. The foliage is not dense enough, and it's difficult to look down the cork bark tube (to see if the T is alive).

I linked to a description of the old enclosures, so I won't repeat it here.

The new enclosure is going to incorporate one or more of the following:
  • fake plants
  • a faux stone retaining wall to hold back a couple inches of substrate
  • plastic human bones (from a Halloween skeleton)
  • cork bark flats
  • cork bark tubes
  • moss
  • lots of hot glue
Can you think of anything I missed?

user 666

Arachnobaron
what is a cork bark retaining wall, you ask?

This:
P1040781.jpg P1040782.jpg P1040785.jpg
Some makers will cut off the lower half of an enclosure's door and permanently attach it to create a volume to hold substrate. Me, I would rather do something insanely creative like build a retaining wall out of cork bark.

I found a jar of cork bits at Michael's. It was on sale, so it cost about $4. I used about 10% to make the retaining wall.
It does not look great but it's not bad for a first attempt.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
How are you going to keep the substrate from coming through the bark? I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
what is a cork bark retaining wall, you ask?

This:
View attachment 241942 View attachment 241943 View attachment 241944
Some makers will cut off the lower half of an enclosure's door and permanently attach it to create a volume to hold substrate. Me, I would rather do something insanely creative like build a retaining wall out of cork bark.

I found a jar of cork bits at Michael's. It was on sale, so it cost about $4. I used about 10% to make the retaining wall.
It does not look great but it's not bad for a first attempt.
I think cutting a section off the bottom of the lid and securing it to the enclosure then attach the rest of the lid with a hinge would make a much nicer looking enclosure, the bottom section would also retain substrate and more moisture if needed.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I think cutting a section off the bottom of the lid and securing it to the enclosure then attach the rest of the lid with a hinge would make a much nicer looking enclosure, the bottom section would also retain substrate and more moisture if needed.
It is, but I am not that handy with a saw.

back when I was in model trains, they used to call me Jigsaw.

user 666

Arachnobaron
How are you going to keep the substrate from coming through the bark? I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
I was just going to let it slip through and occasionally wipe it up.

I am not expecting this to be a problem; dirt just doesn't flow through retaining walls like water.

user 666

Arachnobaron
So here's my fist attempt:

P1040788.jpg P1040789.jpg P1040790.jpg P1040791.jpg
It is occupied a by 3" P tigrinawesselli who had outgrown a 4 x 4 5 AMAC box.

The photos are not good, I know. I will do better when I post this enclosure in the photo thread.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Then they'll start calling me Leatehrface.
Just trying to give some friendly advice, it would be so much better, you wouldn't have to take the whole lid off as it would open easily, it would keep substrate in better and moisture, but hey it's up to you, it's the little details that end up making a big difference.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I like taking the front off. I think it looks better than a hinged front.

And given that you are talking about removing 2/3 of the front rather than 100%, I seriously doubt your claim about moisture in the substrate is factually correct.

citation, please?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I like taking the front off. I think it looks better than a hinged front.

And given that you are talking about removing 2/3 of the front rather than 100%, I seriously doubt your claim about moisture in the substrate is factually correct.

citation, please?
No I'm talking about 1.5 inches. You like it like that so let's leave it at that no need to disagree about such trivialities.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Here's attempt #2.
P1040793.jpg
It was built for a 3" P cambridgei that had molted 3 times in the two months I'd had it.

There's a section of cork bark to hold back the substrate, a couple vines stretching up and back from the two front corners, and on the back wall is a vertical stretch of cork bark the T can hide behind.

This T liked to build web tubes up the back of cork bark, and with this enclosure there is enough space behind the bark for a 6" T. He can also make a dirt+web nest supported by the vines.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Here's attempt #2.
View attachment 242167
It was built for a 3" P cambridgei that had molted 3 times in the two months I'd had it.

There's a section of cork bark to hold back the substrate, a couple vines stretching up and back from the two front corners, and on the back wall is a vertical stretch of cork bark the T can hide behind.

This T liked to build web tubes up the back of cork bark, and with this enclosure there is enough space behind the bark for a 6" T. He can also make a dirt+web nest supported by the vines.
Looks lovely :) :) What about ventilation? I see 3 very small sections of holes. Will you be adding more or leaving the ventilation as is?

user 666

Arachnobaron
Looks lovely :) :) What about ventilation? I see 3 very small sections of holes. Will you be adding more or leaving the ventilation as is?
I will be replacing the door with one that has a set of holes, but that's probably going to be it.

Everyone keeps telling me I don't have enough ventilation, but it stopped bothering me a while back. None of my Ts are in enclosures that have enough ventilation by the standards of this forum, and they're doing just fine.

I think the standards set by this forum exceeds requirements. I could show example after example of enclosures where Ts thrived in spite of inadequate ventilation, but after having been told repeatedly that I was wrong to not have a hinged front, I am just not interested in being lectured at again.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
None of my Ts are in enclosures that have enough ventilation, and they're doing just fine.
Don't you think you should have more then, if you know there's not enough ventilation, you kind of answered your own question in your answer.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Don't you think you should have more then, if you know there's not enough ventilation, you kind of answered your own question in your answer.
No, because the unwritten part of that sentence is "by the standards of this forum".

Please don't play word games. Playing gotcha by quoting one sentence out of context is not a good way to win n argument.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
No, because the unwritten part of that sentence is "by the standards of this forum".

Please don't play word games. Playing gotcha by quoting one sentence out of context is not a good way to win n argument.
By the standards of this forum is not over zealous it's the norm, it's not to win or loose an argument, I couldn't care less if I'm corrected, it's all about the spider, not winning / losing, it wasn't taken out of context it's exactly what you said. I'm not on the boards to win an argument, I'm here to learn and help others, if that's what you think then so be it......not me though.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I will be replacing the door with one that has a set of holes, but that's probably going to be it.

Everyone keeps telling me I don't have enough ventilation, but it stopped bothering me a while back. None of my Ts are in enclosures that have enough ventilation by the standards of this forum, and they're doing just fine.

I think the standards set by this forum exceeds requirements. I could show example after example of enclosures where Ts thrived in spite of inadequate ventilation, but after having been told repeatedly that I was wrong to not have a hinged front, I am just not interested in being lectured at again.
I was not lecturing you. I simply asked a question.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Looks fantastic, but I'm gonna have to bug you about something else too. Gonna have to really be careful when that lid is off. As you know poecs like to bolt.