New Pokies in possible premolt.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
So a few of you may have seen a few days ago I made a post about how I got a breeding pair of P. regalis in the mail. Literally minutes after unboxing the male was acting odd. Trouble climbing, pretty lethargic, usual pokie premolt. He's also very dull, so he's most definitely in premolt. He also isn't mature just yet so it's nothing like that thankfully. The female however was VERY active immediately. They are both in temporary tote enclosures, definitely not fit for pokies. No tube bark or anything like that as I'm waiting for some parts in the mail that unfortunately didn't happen to luckily get here at the same time as them. The female is now acting very similar. The seller told me that she was nearing her premolt because her colors were dulling (this I can confirm). They're both on the ground of their enclosures, is a lazy pokie pose, in the corners. Is it pretty safe to say that they're just both getting ready to molt? They haven't been doing any webbing aside from small amounts on the ground (the little invisible carpets that Ts tend to do) so I'm a little worried that the mildly unsuitable environment might cause some issues with their molting procedure. I will point out that they DO have places to hide, just not the typical pokie setup.

Side thought, should I try to just go ahead and makeshift their permanent enclosure with parts that I can buy from the store? (I was being a little picky when I ordered the pieces because I didn't want to use metal hinges I wanted to use acrylic ones, so it's not completely necessary to wait for them) Or should I just let them be, and not risk bothering them more and messing anything up?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So a few of you may have seen a few days ago I made a post about how I got a breeding pair of P. regalis in the mail. Literally minutes after unboxing the male was acting odd. Trouble climbing, pretty lethargic, usual pokie premolt. He's also very dull, so he's most definitely in premolt. He also isn't mature just yet so it's nothing like that thankfully. The female however was VERY active immediately. They are both in temporary tote enclosures, definitely not fit for pokies. No tube bark or anything like that as I'm waiting for some parts in the mail that unfortunately didn't happen to luckily get here at the same time as them. The female is now acting very similar. The seller told me that she was nearing her premolt because her colors were dulling (this I can confirm). They're both on the ground of their enclosures, is a lazy pokie pose, in the corners. Is it pretty safe to say that they're just both getting ready to molt? They haven't been doing any webbing aside from small amounts on the ground (the little invisible carpets that Ts tend to do) so I'm a little worried that the mildly unsuitable environment might cause some issues with their molting procedure. I will point out that they DO have places to hide, just not the typical pokie setup.

Side thought, should I try to just go ahead and makeshift their permanent enclosure with parts that I can buy from the store? (I was being a little picky when I ordered the pieces because I didn't want to use metal hinges I wanted to use acrylic ones, so it's not completely necessary to wait for them) Or should I just let them be, and not risk bothering them more and messing anything up?
They may be approaching a molt, keep in mind Poeciletheria tend to web heavily before they molt. I'd leave them be and let them settle in, try feeding in a week or so just in case they aren't in pre molt yet.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
If they turn out to be in premolt leave them be.. Then wait for a few weeks after they molt to rehouse them. And if they take food now, you can easily rehouse them asap.

mack1855

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
And remember,you are required to post pics of those beautiful beasts and their molts.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
If they turn out to be in premolt leave them be.. Then wait for a few weeks after they molt to rehouse them. And if they take food now, you can easily rehouse them asap.
Yup the male just walled himself into the corner and I have a feeling the female will be doing the same thing pretty soon. He's gonna be molting into maturity too! How long do I really need to wait before moving them? If they molt then come out to eat shouldn't that be sign enough that their fine to be moved? I'm not exactly trying to rush, just excited to get them put into new and pretty display enclosures as those pieces I was waiting for ended up getting here like a week and a half early.

And remember,you are required to post pics of those beautiful beasts and their molts.
Haha, will do! I'll take advantage of them being hungry and staying still to eat so I can get good pics for ya.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Once they molt just wait a week and a half before you feed them. The day after you feed them is when I would rehouse them so they are full before they're stressed out.
I personally wouldn't have ship a T that I know is approaching premolt to avoid stress and a possible molt during shipping which would be pretty fatal. I feel that the breeder should have at least let you known beforehand so you could make an agreement to ship after a molt at least.
Lastly I understand that you were going to have a nice cage set up for them but helpful advice is that you should always have a proper backup cage suitable for a species prepared for occasions like this so you at least have a decent cage to put them in.