New Poecilotheria Enclosure and Setup?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hola :D

I am planning on obtaining a pokie (most likely the rufilata) at mynlocal expo in a week or two. It is a juvenile, about 3-4", and I want to have the enclosure set up first. This will be a display T, so I want the cage to look decent ;) Can a juvie that small fit in my exoterra comfortably? To be honest, I want to keep rehousing to a minimum and just give it an adult enclosure to grow into. I have a 12x12x18 exoterra tall that I have spare. I really don't want to have to go and buy a smaller enclosure so would this work? Also, do they have any preferences for decor? I know many people say cork rounds are the way to go, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Thanks, Abyss

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It will be fine but it wont utilize the whole enclosure so make sure you drop the feeders on its bark. They prefer cork tubes and slabs, Maybe some live/fake plants. Dont over-do it though or you will never see it.

I place feeder cockroaches on the bark tube my p.met uses and it climbs over it alerting my poec that food is there.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
It will be fine but it wont utilize the whole enclosure so make sure you drop the feeders on its bark. They prefer cork tubes and slabs, Maybe some live/fake plants. Dont over-do it though or you will never see it.

I place feeder cockroaches on the bark tube my p.met uses and it climbs over it alerting my poec that food is there.
That was my plan. Make it semi simple so I can see it every once and a while and give it a huge slab or tube. Already put food at the entrance for my P. cam, so shouldn't be too terrible to do. I just don't want to rehouse ever ;)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I have something similar for my P. Regalis.. A cork tube, some fake plants, some dried moss glued on the tube to make it more realistic.. a water dish on the bottom.. etc. I would just suggest closing the tube on the other end if you feed roaches.. so things can crawl out only from the entrance.. This way uneaten prey won't crawl all over the enclosure.. especially faster roaches.. It will also help your spider find food.. Sometimes roaches just wander away from the spider if the T isn't quick enough. Then you're faced with the dilemma of sticking your hand in the enclosure with a pokie :) At least I find it helpful.. I have major respect for their speed and their bite :D

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I have something similar for my P. Regalis.. A cork tube, some fake plants, some dried moss glued on the tube to make it more realistic.. a water dish on the bottom.. etc. I would just suggest closing the tube on the other end if you feed roaches.. so things can crawl out only from the entrance.. This way uneaten prey won't crawl all over the enclosure.. especially faster roaches.. It will also help your spider find food.. Sometimes roaches just wander away from the spider if the T isn't quick enough. Then you're faced with the dilemma of sticking your hand in the enclosure with a pokie :) At least I find it helpful.. I have major respect for their speed and their bite :D
Never thought about it that way :D Hope I can make the cage work well... only tank I have decorated for being pretty is my P. cam

cold blood

Staff member
Its imperative that it has a good place to hide, people prefer these hollow cork pieces, and they look great and are quite functional, but don't feel as if they are necessary. I refuse to pay through the nose for that expensive cork. Leaned wood surrounded by plants is a perfectly acceptable alternative that will save you enough $ for a few extra ts, and I'd rather have more ts than fancy expensive wood.

Pokies are both fast, and great hunters, extra room will not be an issue for them, you most certainly do not have to give them any help feeding, if they're hungry, they will find the prey without any issue.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Its imperative that it has a good place to hide, people prefer these hollow cork pieces, and they look great and are quite functional, but don't feel as if they are necessary. I refuse to pay through the nose for that expensive cork. Leaned wood surrounded by plants is a perfectly acceptable alternative that will save you enough $ for a few extra ts, and I'd rather have more ts than fancy expensive wood.

Pokies are both fast, and great hunters, extra room will not be an issue for them, you most certainly do not have to give them any help feeding, if they're hungry, they will find the prey without any issue.
Figured, but just want to make sure. My first pokie and I am super excited :D Will need to pick it up at my local fair. Are there any retail stores that sell it?

Someone on the boards shared these enclosures recently and they look great. I haven't used one yet but I might get one for my p Cambridgei. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112112715601
I really like those enclosures as well. Will probably end up slurging for my P. cam as well. I would use these for the pokie, but rufilata get 8"+. Don't want an angry pokie to get out during a rehouse :anxious:

cold blood

Staff member
Figured, but just want to make sure. My first pokie and I am super excited :D Will need to pick it up at my local fair. Are there any retail stores that sell it?
Not sure what the "it" is referring to. If its the pokie, check the classifieds.

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry, not clear. Already have the P. rufilata lined up, just need the bark from the expo. Nowhere else to get it near me.
Lies, I know where you live...plenty of lakes around to go find some driftwood.

If you want to drive into WI, you can go through my stash or I can take you to some prime hunting grounds, you could fill your trunk for free.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Lol, tbh I don't really have the time to drive for hours out to find driftwood :( All we have an hour drive's radius are very small artificial ponds or very small lakes and streams. Not sure if much driftwood would be therue, althogh I have never really looked. Any specific spots you know of? If I can get wood for free, then all the more money for T's ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Lake Michigan....I'm an hour and 15 min from Schaumburg. I drive twice that far to go fishing for a few hours.:rofl:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I had a dream yesterday night where I had all the T's I currently have, and a P. rufilata :rofl: Don't know why it appeared in my dream, but it made me want one a bit, lol. I've decided against any pokies though just IN CASE the even that one could escape and bite one of my already-terrified-of-me family members or my rats.
I personally don't like Exo-Terras because I hate glass because I'm a weak baby who can't lift for my life :D

@cold blood Do you bake/boil the wood when you bring it home? And for how long/what temperature? I'm in need of bark for two arboreals very soon and my pet stores are so anti-arachnid, mostly only sell fish supplies

cold blood

Staff member
I rinse it, mainly to get the sand/dirt out of all the crevices, then I bake it to completely dry it. 250ish for 20-40 min, depending on the size of the wood. You can actually smell when it gets dry.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I rinse it, mainly to get the sand/dirt out of all the crevices, then I bake it to completely dry it. 250ish for 20-40 min, depending on the size of the wood. You can actually smell when it gets dry.
Thank you! That helps a ton :D I know I'll still be worried about setting the house on fire, but that eases my mind a little about the process.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is how I've got my pokies set up. A live plant and a large cork bark tube sunk into the bottom of the sub. The plants where the same size when I planted them. But the Subfusca was near the window and the sunlight obviously had a massive impact on it's plant. So I've swapped them around now and my Tigrinawesseli girl is near the window so her plant can catch up.

IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0792.JPG

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
This is how I've got my pokies set up. A live plant and a large cork bark tube sunk into the bottom of the sub. The plants where the same size when I planted them. But the Subfusca was near the window and the sunlight obviously had a massive impact on it's plant. So I've swapped them around now and my Tigrinawesseli girl is near the window so her plant can catch up.

View attachment 224029 View attachment 224030
Looks awesome! I just set up mine as a test, and will get pics when I get back home. It's just a plant in the corner with a slanted piece of bark right next to it. Looks alright, want it to be decently simple and I love your setup! Looks like the one I set up but with a better plant :D