New Poecilotheria Enclosure and Setup?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Looks awesome! I just set up mine as a test, and will get pics when I get back home. It's just a plant in the corner with a slanted piece of bark right next to it. Looks alright, want it to be decently simple and I love your setup! Looks like the one I set up but with a better plant :D
I'm sure the plant will take off. Every now and again I put some Tokay gecko crap beneath the plant to give it a bit of a feed. No idea if it's doing anything.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sure the plant will take off. Every now and again I put some Tokay gecko crap beneath the plant to give it a bit of a feed. No idea if it's doing anything.
I wouldn't add feces to a closed environment, you're asking for bugs IMO.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Here it is. Not quite sure if it is "good", but it will probably work. Just put 2 cork hides together to form a cork tube-like structure. Much less expensive than buying one for the huge tank :astonished: Also, the 2 aren't glued or anything. I just made sure they fit very tightly and against the side. I also added a fake plant on the side for more comfort. @basin79 , I know tou use live plants but I can't really go out and buy one unless I want to wait for the T another 1-2 months... lol. This should do, right? Need to get a nice acrylic piece for the lid that can lift, but overall it is basically done with nothing extra needing to be bought :D

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
That looks to be the same size exo terra has my 2.

I've never used that type of wood before in a T enclosure but it looks the part. Just so long as the wood pieces can't seperate easily (wouldn't want the T to get a leg caught.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Just got her today! Looks like a female, thank god and is about 4" ;) She was a little small for the cage I set up, so I decided to downgrade her to a nice cage we found at only $20. She is great and already exploring. Can't wait until she settles in and eats :D here are some pics of her and her enclosure.

Attachments

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Just got her today! Looks like a female, thank god and is about 4" ;) She was a little small for the cage I set up, so I decided to downgrade her to a nice cage we found at only $20. She is great and already exploring. Can't wait until she settles in and eats :D here are some pics of her and her enclosure.
Most likely gonna get fussed at about that screen lid :p

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Most likely gonna get fussed at about that screen lid :p
True, but I can't really change that now :) Besides, I'm sure she will be fine. I understand the worries about screen, but if there are problems I will change immediatly. Don't quite have the resources to get and attach a new lid. Seems to be doing well though :D

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
True, but I can't really change that now :) Besides, I'm sure she will be fine. I understand the worries about screen, but if there are problems I will change immediatly. Don't quite have the resources to get and attach a new lid. Seems to be doing well though :D
I personally have a screen lid on one of my arboreal tanks too (shhhhh, don't tell anyone ;)), and have never had a problem. It's not good regardless but I think it's more of a problem with terrestrials. Now I'm gonna get fussed at too :embarrassed:.

basin79

ArachnoGod
All 4 of my arboreals are in exo terras so have screen lids. Never had a problem. My B.Smithi is also in an exo terra. Never had a problem with her either. I love exo's. On the larger ones (18" tall) I have 2 pieces of perspex cut to maintain a better temperature.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
True, but I can't really change that now :) Besides, I'm sure she will be fine. I understand the worries about screen, but if there are problems I will change immediatly.
You can't afford to get a piece of acrylic? It's not THAT expensive. :rolleyes:

Why would you have a reactionary response instead of a proactive response?

What makes more sense, to ride around a motorcycle without a helmet and wait till one's head is potentially smashed open, OR get one before? I know that sounds like a common sense and CRAZY idea!!:wideyed:

For people that love tarantulas, I'm really surprised at the risks people are wiling to take w/their supposed cherished pets. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally have a screen lid on one of my arboreal tanks too (shhhhh, don't tell anyone ;)), and have never had a problem. It's not good regardless but I think it's more of a problem with terrestrials. Now I'm gonna get fussed at too :embarrassed:.
Before I knew better, I came home to find my A. metallica, you know of those "crazy" ARBOREAL Ts, hanging to the Exo Terra screen top. Once was enough.

The reactionary philosophy is beyond understanding. Might as well not wear seat belts if you haven't had an accident either while you're at it. :rolleyes:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Before I knew better, I came home to find my A. metallica, you know of those "crazy" ARBOREAL Ts, hanging to the Exo Terra screen top. Once was enough.

The reactionary philosophy is beyond understanding. Might as well not wear seat belts if you haven't had an accident either while you're at it. :rolleyes:
I've got a piece of acrylic sitting in the closet, just haven't gotten around to cutting and putting it on. I knew I was gonna get fussed at too...:playful::D