New Pinktoe 2nd Attempt at Tarantula Keeping!

Mr. Tinkletoes

Arachnopeon
Alright so after my first unfortunate attempt at taking care of a pinktoe, I decided to try again but this time make sure I ask the pros. I think it is a metallic pinktoe but the dealer wasn't so sure himself. I put in fresh plantation soil and misted the entire tank aswell as a little bit on the tarantula himself. He has foliage and a cave to hide. Does this all sound fine?

When I took him out of his ICU he instantly made a run for the leaves and climbed all the way up into the corner of the tank and stuck there in the corner. Is this normal behaviour? I'll try get pictures asap

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi there,

Welcome to the boards :)
Was he in a bad condition when you got him, since you had him in the ICU?

I usually only mist one side of the enclosure, and I try to avoid getting water on the tarantula, since they don't like that so much :rolleyes:

Yes, it is normal for him to run and hide in a corner, especially if his home is being misted.
My pinktoe T found a corner she liked, and then created her tunnel web.

Pictures will be great, we love pictures of Ts :D

Mr. Tinkletoes

Arachnopeon
No, it seemed in good condition. When we arrived it was hugging itself, but when it came into contact with us it moved actively. We didn't have anything to transport it and the dealer just decided to put it in an ICU I guess.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh good :D

Well, just make sure he has good air ventilation along with good humidity.
It'll start webbing soon :)

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keep in mind these are arboreal T's and will spend a lot of time away from the bottom of the enclosure.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Of course it's normal for him to run and hide when you put him in.
Don't mist the tarantula directly.
Mist often, but don't get the substrate soaked or you'll get mites.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
When I took him out of his ICU he instantly made a run for the leaves and climbed all the way up into the corner of the tank and stuck there in the corner. Is this normal behaviour? I'll try get pictures asap
That's is usuakky what they do in a new tank . Give him a little time to get adjusted and maybe a nice piece of cork tube to web up , and it will be just fine . Congrats on the new T and best of luck with him . :D