New Pink Toe Owner

Livvy23

Arachnopeon
I am a new owner of a juvenile pink toe. We have had her for 3 weeks now and she hasn't eaten. I contacted the pet shop she was purchased from and they said they believed she may be in premolt and advised not to offer anymore food. She has a bald spot on her abdomen and is not very active at all. She has built a web in her enclosure, but the last few days she has become a little more active and keeps stretching her legs alot. She stays within her web. Should I feed her or just bare with it?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please post pictures of the T (especially her abdomen) and the whole enclosure. ;)

Although, it could very well be that she's in premoult as the pet shop said. In that case don't try to feed her anymore, just keep her water dish full.

Livvy23

Arachnopeon
Please post pictures of the T (especially her abdomen) and the whole enclosure. ;)

Although, it could very well be that she's in premoult as the pet shop said. In that case don't try to feed her anymore, just keep her water dish full.
20190709_102259.jpg 20190709_102330.jpg

Advise would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The enclosure looks fine, although I have slight concerns about the ventilation. I can't see it that well, but I hope you haven't blocked the vent holes in the front. With all that moisture from misting the plant and the plant itself you need really good air flow/cross ventilation, otherwise it could become detrimental for your T.

The spider's abdomen looks normal to me, at least from what I can see. ;)
So, don't worry if she doesn't feed for a while.

Livvy23

Arachnopeon
The enclosure looks fine, although I have slight concerns about the ventilation. I can't see it that well, but I hope you haven't blocked the vent holes in the front. With all that moisture from misting the plant and the plant itself you need really good air flow/cross ventilation, otherwise it could become detrimental for your T.

The spider's abdomen looks normal to me, at least from what I can see. ;)
So, don't worry if she doesn't feed for a while.
Thanks for reply. Ventilation holes at the front are not covered. Should I attempt to keep feeding her or am I putting her at risk?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Thankyou for response. I havent attempted to feed her for 2 weeks now on the advise of the pet shop. Should I try again today?
I don't see any harm in it, if it doesn't take it just remove the feeder And don't try again until it moults and Keep the water dish full

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I haven't personally keep any avics, but from what I've seen, many experienced keepers keep their avics with much more ventilation than that, and most use lots of side ventilation to enable more air flow. If i were you, and that enclosure is acrylic, i would've burnt a whole bunch of vent holes on the sides of the enclo. But all of this is just my two cents though, if other keepers say that the ventilation is enough, it probably is!

Sincerely, maman

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I haven't personally keep any avics, but from what I've seen, many experienced keepers keep their avics with much more ventilation than that, and most use lots of side ventilation to enable more air flow. If i were you, and that enclosure is acrylic, i would've burnt a whole bunch of vent holes on the sides of the enclo. But all of this is just my two cents though, if other keepers say that the ventilation is enough, it probably is!

Sincerely, maman
The enclosure is glass and looks to be a mesh lid with a door on front and a grill running along the front for ventilation the substrate is quite high but as long as the vent isn't blocked it should be fine. @Livvy23 Better replacing the mesh lid as the spider could injure itself on it or chew through and escape

Livvy23

Arachnopeon

Sincerely, maman
Hi there. The whole top is a wire mesh for ventilation as well as the air holes in the top

Thanks for all your replies. All advice taken on board but you will be pleased to know that this happened 30 mins ago. She did good! 20190709_161852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Killertut

Arachnosquire
take a small bowl, add water and a bit of dish soap and mix. put the molt inside and soak it a tiny bit. now you can spread the leftovers of the abdomen and look for spermathecae between the first pair of booklungs.
you can make a good photo of it and upload it to the gallery sexing section. this way the community can help you sex it.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Congraaaats!!! I have a small tip that can go a long way, be very very very veryyyy patient and very very very cautious when unraveling the abdomen skin. It rips very very easily, and I've failed sexing my Ts a bunch of times because of my impatience.

Hope it goes well! Sincerely, Maman

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Sincerely, maman
You’ve likely seen American setups

Europeans do just fine with those and what we call glass cubes here.

It should be fine provided it’s not humid inside.