New Pet tarantula

XxTarantulaQueenxX

Arachnopeon
Look into Homoeomma chilensis (formerly Euathlis sp red). Unfortunately they're pretty expensive if you manage to find a reasonably grown one, otherwise they're super slow growing and start out really teeny tiny. They're a "dwarf" that doesn't get very big.
WOW pretty cool I actually never really did any reasearch on this tarantula I will do a bit more on this beautifull creature THANKS!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok then I did most reasearch on ----genus Avicularia, C. versicolor, Grammostola rosea, Grammostola poteri and Tliltocatl albopilosum I also like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens they are so pretty
I did a bit on--- Mexican Redknee, B. smithi, also grammostola pulchra, and Cyriopagopus lividum but theyre defensive behavior might not be the best for me.
You have pretty interesting research I would say. Everything in your list is in a sense similar, and then C. lividum. How did that one come up? :astonished:

Your 1st list are all good so you should be happy with any of them. If you like Avic avic, The GBB would be my choice among that list. It webs a ton so it has more things to do beside sitting around.
Your 2nd list is somewhat more problematic. Brachypelma is notorious for kicking hair. G. pulchra is basically an all-black more expensive G. rosea/poteri (some pay premium for the all-black though). And then C. lividum.

XxTarantulaQueenxX

Arachnopeon
Grammastola, Tliltocatl, and Brachypelma are 3 great Genus' to look more in depth into. All the species in the genus have similar behavior but look different and have different price points. You named one or two of each but there are SO many more to choose from. Stick to those 3 Genus' and have a ball picking out a species!
:D Thx I will

You have pretty interesting research I would say. Everything in your list is in a sense similar, and then C. lividum. How did that one come up? :astonished:

Your 1st list are all good so you should be happy with any of them. If you like Avic avic, The GBB would be my choice among that list. It webs a ton so it has more things to do beside sitting around.
Your 2nd list is somewhat more problematic. Brachypelma is notorious for kicking hair. G. pulchra is basically an all-black more expensive G. rosea/poteri (some pay premium for the all-black though). And then C. lividum.
:)
Well I just always thought that the colbolt blue is very pretty but I don't think I will get one
thank you for the reccomandation I will check out the GBB some more

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
What about something like Aphonopelma Chalcodes? Arent they insanely easy to manage during maintenance? I understand they are probably more in the pet rock category but IMO they look adorable

cold blood

Staff member
Chalcodes was one I was going to mention, but op said active, and theyre anything but......still a better choice then a rose hair.
but I am planning on getting a rose hair thats why I reffered to that
This is probably the least active, most boring species you could look at...they do everything so slowly its hard for a new keeper to learn anything from them. I started with one....had it over a decade, then got a B. hamorii sling and a juvie G. pulchripes, I literally leanred more in 2 months from those 2 than I did in over a decade with that rose hair.....I refer to them as Grammostola sp. potato, cause theyre about as active as a baked potato ( a growing potato will actually grow much much faster....lol.

Here are a few suggestions:

G. pulchripes, they get to 7", and think everything is food, but once they realize something isn't food, they tend to be really easy going. They also like to move things around a lot, so they can be a little more active. One of two beginner species that has a faster (moderate) growth rate.

T. albopilosum They are much like the above pulchripes in many ways, appetite, growth, activity level, just a little smaller as adult females.

T. cyaneolum The problem here is finding one....they're incredibly docile, good eaters and not as slow growing as many. They're also quite beautiful....if you can find one.

B. hamorii/emelia They can grow slow, and can be less active, and while good eaters, because of slow growth, you will see more fasting than the above three (still way less fasting than a rose hair).

H. chilinesis theyre smaller, known as having an almost inquisitive nature, they tend to like to wander some. Very slow grower and not always good eaters, but a joy to own and a really good choice...if you can find one....more available than cyaneolum, but still uncommon and expensive.

T. puriens Moderately sized, but not big, great eaters and med growth...relatively calm, but more skittish than any of the above.....availability can be an issue as well, but they're out there.

G. pulchra The cult following around these keeps prices artificially high, but they are good eaters, can be active (but not always), and are pretty darn docile...but they grow really slow, almost rose hair slow.

Typically all of these species are visible much of the time, if not all of the time.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
GBB every time, active, beautiful, fast grower, great eater, tons of webbing and manageable temperament.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Cyriopagopus lividum but theyre defensive behavior might not be the best for me.
The venom is also medically significant on this species, since it's an old world tarantula. It's not really a great idea to start with one of those for almost anyone.

It's also worth noting that you can't guarantee how an individual will behave by getting a certain species. B. hamorii tends to be docile, but someone here has one that is quite defensive. Ultimately, you just need to learn how your particular specimens behave.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Cold Blood offers good advice. The spiders that he recommends are so cool.

Thrixopelma cyaneolum has been on my watch list for nearly 6 months. I had an opportunity to get 8 slings, and I passed on them to get something else...still kicking myself on that one. :bag:

Last edited:

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
T. albopilosum, or curly hair tarantula. Mines always hanging out in plain sight, and is always fun to look at, also docile.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Maybe this might help:

Beginner-friendly Species
All of the most commonly recommended species for beginners come from the New World (North and South America); Old World species (everywhere else) are not suitable for beginners, because they have more potent venom and tend to be more defensive, faster, and/or more reclusive. Below are some recommendations by knowledgeable keepers.
;)

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Homeoemma Chilensis. About as laid back as they come. Only get to about three inches. So inquistitive that it can be a challenge to not handle them. Very slow growing though so you may want to get at least a juvenile. Seriously... about four months ago I got three 1/4 inch slings and I now have three 1/4 inch slings.

Also, if you want to stay on the good side of the tarantula police memorise the following...

Handling bad
Care sheets bad
Tom Moran good

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I know

but I am planning on getting a rose hair thats why I reffered to that
Yes G roseas is one of the more slowmoving and non-bolty tarantulas there are IME. They are easy to transfer inte catchcups for moving them. Some specimens can be bitey though,but in general they are pretty calm

ErikElvis

Newb
Nothing going to stop people from handling if they want to. Of course T’s get nothing out of it. If you are going to at least do it over the bed or over your lap and close to you in case they fall. There are plenty of “docile” T’s to choose from. But like people personality’s can vary.

XxTarantulaQueenxX

Arachnopeon
Nothing going to stop people from handling if they want to. Of course T’s get nothing out of it. If you are going to at least do it over the bed or over your lap and close to you in case they fall. There are plenty of “docile” T’s to choose from. But like people personality’s can vary.
OK THX FOR THE INFO