New Pet Spider Likes Direct Sunlight

FishOrSomething

Arachnopeon
So, I found a wolf-spider yesterday and decided to make a fun little area that I filled with moist dirt, moist bark, and a bunch of sticks. He's always against the side of the box, and he won't eat the box elder bug I put in there (The box elder bug has rode the spider a few times, though), but one thing at a time.

I usually store the clear house-thing in a relatively dark place. I put it on my bed to look at, since there's a bright strip of sunlight. The spider moved into the strip. I rotate and move the container, and he'll always try to get back into the light. This confuses me because I read that wolf-spiders like to be in the dark. Is my spider just not used to his environment, or is this just a normal spider thing?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Boxelder bugs are toxic, so it probably won't eat it. I'd take it out ASAP so it minimizes stress. You'll also probably want to give it a day or two to settle in before trying to feed it.

What's the temp in your room? It probably was chilly and appreciated a bit of warmth. Spiders will always move where they are comfortable, even in the daytime.

FishOrSomething

Arachnopeon
Thank you for telling me about box elder bugs. My room is generally colder than the rest of the house, so that's probably it.