New Pet...Scolopendra Subspinipes

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all, I am pleased to say I am the proud new keeper of a 4-5 inch adolescent Vietnamese Centipede. This is my first Myriapod and I couldn't be happier. Very vicious when transfering from containers. I haven't really noticed any burrowing or heavy activity, he just kind of sits flacidly in the open, from what I hear this is rather normal pede behavior, correct?
I can't wait to have this guy grow, I'm off to get some crickets soon.

Edit: remeasured, the guys actually 6 inches extended, not too thick though.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello all, I am pleased to say I am the proud new keeper of a 4-5 inch adolescent Vietnamese Centipede. This is my first Myriapod and I couldn't be happier. Very vicious when transfering from containers. I haven't really noticed any burrowing or heavy activity, he just kind of sits flacidly in the open, from what I hear this is rather normal pede behavior, correct?
I can't wait to have this guy grow, I'm off to get some crickets soon.
Congrats on the new pick up, I got my first pede in NOv. 06. It stayed out in the open, then hid under the soil for a long period then came back up, and now is back underneath. So, I'd say it's pretty typcial pede behavior.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks man! They truly are amazing little creatures.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right on man! You'll love the S. subspinipes, they're pretty rad little beasties! Both of mine have some serious appetites. Vicious critters all the way through!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When they hunt and venture around their enclosures at night, they are almost more interesting then Ts. You got any pics of your new beauty?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sadly no, but tomorrow when I charge up my camera and buy some crickets I'll go ahead and take some shots fo all my invert enclosures, along with my Pyxie frog.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sadly no, but tomorrow when I charge up my camera and buy some crickets I'll go ahead and take some shots fo all my invert enclosures, along with my Pyxie frog.
Can't wait! I love enclosure pics and pyxie frogs!

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Know what, since I like your style I'll go ahead and snap a few now. :cool:

ILoveHotDogs

Arachnopeon
I can't see, but I hope your enclosure has a tight lid on it. I've had one of my pedes escape and it's sad. When you aren't looking it is definitely going to climb up that bark and take a look at the top of things.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't see, but I hope your enclosure has a tight lid on it. I've had one of my pedes escape and it's sad. When you aren't looking it is definitely going to climb up that bark and take a look at the top of things.
It's a mesh wire lid thats taped down, I'm making a tight fitting plexiglass top tomorrow to retain more humidity, etc.

Penna

Arachnopeon
I'd be careful using tape, sometimes it has just enough give for the lil guy to get stuck to it.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Right on man! You'll love the S. subspinipes, they're pretty rad little beasties! Both of mine have some serious appetites. Vicious critters all the way through!
I have the same exact centipede and i've never seen him eat! It seems like he has no appetite at all. Do you think that mine is just timid?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd be careful using tape, sometimes it has just enough give for the lil guy to get stuck to it.
Well no worries, no escape attempts, and I already put the tight fitting plexiglass top on. To these guys like alot of circulation, or fairly stagnent/ few holes in the lid?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well no worries, no escape attempts, and I already put the tight fitting plexiglass top on. To these guys like alot of circulation, or fairly stagnent/ few holes in the lid?
if you have high ventilation then you have to be really careful about not letting the pede dry out

i personally go with the lower maintenance route of decreased vent. of course, i have something like 50-100 centipedes, so high maintenance is pretty much out of the question =P

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the same exact centipede and i've never seen him eat! It seems like he has no appetite at all. Do you think that mine is just timid?
It could be that he eats at night and you just don't see him doing so. I actually move both of my subspinipes over to smaller enclosures once a week when it's feeding time for them. I give them about a dozen large bugs each, and within about 45 minutes all of them are gone (except for the occasional piece here or there heh). After they eat, I let them chill for about an hour, then go ahead and put them back into their 10 Gallon tanks.

Call me strange.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It could be that he eats at night and you just don't see him doing so. I actually move both of my subspinipes over to smaller enclosures once a week when it's feeding time for them. I give them about a dozen large bugs each, and within about 45 minutes all of them are gone (except for the occasional piece here or there heh). After they eat, I let them chill for about an hour, then go ahead and put them back into their 10 Gallon tanks.

Call me strange.
if you have enough time that is actually a pretty cool idea. centipedes are by far the messiest eaters of the big three (cents, scorps, taras) and i have the most trouble with mites, mold, etc in their cages. feeding them in a seperate container would really reduce the bad outbreaks... i would just be careful with disturbing them if they are trying to brood a clutch or whatever

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Call me strange.
Wow my pede only eats about 2 large crickets every week, am I underfeeding it?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Slimtim - I hope it works for you! So far so good on my side of the woods. Just watch them when you herd them into the feeding containers, they'll be pretty up and about if they're hungry :razz:

@Cacos - Yeah, I've actually wondered if that was why I didn't have any mite problems, knock on wood! I've also found it's easier to insure that my pedes are actually getting their fill when it comes to the grubbage.

@Juggalo - Hehe, I've actually started to wonder if my two subspinipes are being overfed. They're both around 8 or so inches in length, and quite girthy! I was thinking about cutting the number of crickets back to like 6 or so. I'd hate to transform my two vicious pedes into walking sausages!