New Pet.... FINALLY

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I got my Sugar Glider yesterday. My wife is VERY happy about havin' her little guy home finally. Here is a picture of his home. I'll post some pictures of the lil guy later today. He needs some sleep after a long night of barking lol

~~~Psycho~~~

Attachments

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another question for Phil... if you read this post. What is my gliders obsession with my cat? I had him out for about 2 hours yesterday and all he wanted to do was pounce the cat.... I'm pretty sure he wasn't being mean about it cuz he wasn't making the "crabbing" noise at all. ( And they are right it does sound like a pencil sharpener) Then when he was in his cage he was tryin to bat at the cat through the holes. I know cats are their natural predators in the wild, but he wasn't defending himself at all I dont think. Maybe he just made a new friend? Also what is with the jiggling butt thing? Do they do that like cats before they pounce? I saw him do it twice when we were playin yesterday. One last thing. Do gliders have a natural attraction to facial features or is mine just a weirdo eye/ear biter?

~~~Psycho~~~

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since it has been raised in captivity it doesn't have any fear of the cat. It is trying to play with and figure out what the cat is. I however would not let the cat anywhere near it as I have yet to see one that could be fully trusted with something that moves around like a Glider. Given enough time the cat may injure it even if it is only attempting to play and not eat it.

The shakey butt thing I am assuming is not the ( snakey tail movement) and is instead the bouncing up and down of the butt all over the cage in different areas. If so it is scent marking it's home and that is normal and will happen often. It just doesn't really have a strong smell to it and can go un noticed if you aren't right by them when they do it. The musk smells slightly fruity and isn't strong at all. When the tail is held high and undulated like a snake that is play time. They will also do that when about to pounce on live prey.

On the faical features question all are individuals and have their own personalities so it may just like doing that. If the biting isn't rough and isn't from fear it is simply going through the chewing stage like a puppy hits and it should pass.

Lastly please tell me that isn't galvanized on the cage as if it is it will have to go. Galvanized is a big no no with them as it has a reaction to their urine and can release toxins eventually killing them. If it is don't freak it wont hurt anything right away but plans for a new cage should begin if so. If this turns out to be the case I can tell you where to get some great material for a cage at a very good price. Mine is 4 and 1/2 feet tall by 3 feet by 3 feet and total I have like 70 bucks in it.

Oh yeah almost forgot... congrats on the new pet. Properly cared for and bonded with they can be the coolest thing you've ever owned.

Phil

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No I dont think it is galvonized... got it at menards in the fencing section. Hopefully it is just a stage with the facial biting. Lil guy doesn't bite fingers or anything, but damn near took a chunk out of my ear last night lol. I wouldnt let the cat play with him. Even though she's afraid of it. *on a side note I tried letting my bunny play with the cat... bunny used to jump high in the air and chase the cat and the cat just ran away:( . Big party pooper. * thanks for your help

***EDIT***
Ok I just read what my wife posted today and to clear up the galvanized question..its not galvinixed...its basically aluminum wiring and very easy to work with...believe me the cage took me 6 hours to build and the easiest part was the fencing..

~~~Psycho~~~

Last edited:

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know I couldve got alot better pics but its kinda late and our camera is not the best...we are goin to ask mom and dad for a new expensive digi cam this year for X-Mas:D

~~~Psycho~~~

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hes really cute. I almost bought one not too long ago, but went with a hedgehog instead.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good deal aluminum should be fine. :)

The biting thing will pass you just have to pretty much ignore it as reacting to it will teach them to do it for the response they get out of you. The main thing to remember is don't restrain it as that scares them and be gentle. As long as you don't make it feel threatened it should bond easily in a few weeks. Feel free to ask if ya need any tips on bonding and such.

Phil

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know how your wife must have felt waiting to get the Sugar Glider because I'm slowly but surely paying my way towards my Quaker Parakeet. The anticipation is awful.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gliders rock! I'd love to have one, but they're illegal in California.:(

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry everyone, not to sound ignorant, but what is a Sugar Glider? What family is it in?

I have never heard of such a thing, probably because I live in CA and you can't have S@#T here as pets.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those two sites will tell you all the info you could ever want on the marsupial Petarus breviceps ( Sugar Glider ) Also called Phalangerers or fingery ones. :)

Phil